1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

We will stay 4-4-2, I am reasonably confident. I think we are a 4-3-3 team, Carlos is a 4-3-3 manager but he has turned to this turgid 4-4-2 system with no pace on the wings. 

I hope this Dutch centre half settles early - looking at the videos of him, he looks to have confident and good distribution which should help our attacks from deep. This has been a problem for us with Lees and Loovens.

Ironic isn't it how Carlos has changed to be a 442 manager when now more than ever we have a squad that should be playing 3 midfielders in the centre

I'd also like to see 433 with FF in the front 3. But even 3-5-2 with wing backs would be fine. 

Pressure is on Carlos now to stop being happy with draws and go for wins. 

8 hours ago, Ryan1980 said:

Westwood

Vernacio    Lees.   Aken

boyd.    Butterfield   Bannan.   Reach

Forestieri

Fletcher.       Hooper

Spot on for me assuming our new CH signings settle well.........but i'd 100% swop Butterfield for a fit Kieran Lee. Oh how we miss his turns and clever through balls !!

3 at the back seems obvious to me with the way the squad is shaping up with lots of good strikers and centre mids but not loads of options out wide.

Away

Westwood

Lees Hutchinson Van Aken

Hunt                                               Reach

Lee  Jones    Bannan

Fletcher         Hooper

Home

Westwood

Lees Hutchinson Van Aken

Hunt                                               Reach

Lee     Bannan

Hooper

Fletcher      Rhodes/Forestieri

Westwood

Lees          Venancio     Van Aken

Boyd     Butterfield    Bannan     Reach

Fletcher  Hooper    Forestieri

Rhodes

Wildsmith

Wallace

Loovens

Pudil

Nuhiu

Jones

Depending on the new guys of course. Can move FF back into midfield if we're up against it.

9 hours ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

FF HAS to play and he must be in the attacking role if 3-5-2 is the way forward with bannan and lee or butterfield behind 

Doubt it.

Carlos seems to have just the 2 variants of 4-4-2 in his locker

1.The fluid 4-4-2 with advanced full backs we have played for most of the last two seasons.

2. The midfield diamond he occasionally flirts with.

Think he's more likely to stick with these depending on opposites.

Can see the diamond being played at home with Butterfield at the tip, Lee right and Bannan left and Jones or Hutch at the base.

Not saying its the way to get promotion,  just that Carlos seems loath to make drastic changes.

Of course we can. Plus in the 3-5-2 it means no place for Wallace or Boyd to start, which I think has been our problem this season they're too slow in a 4-4-2 and don't offer enough attacking threat anymore, meaning our only attacking threat literally comes from the front 2.

Westwood

Venancio

Lees

Van Aken

Hunt

Bannan

Butterfield

Reach

Forestieri

Hooper

Rhodes

We have options all over the pitch, we now have 5 centre backs to play the 3 roles, we have Fox/Boyd to cover Reach at left wing back, we have 4/5 centre midfielders when Lee and Hutch are fit, with have 2 of the best players in the league to play the number 10, and 2 of the best strikers in the league in a front 2.

Change the rigid 4-4-2 Carlos, it's dated and we have zero pace on the wings for this to be effective, go to the system that can get the best out of 3 attackers.

17 minutes ago, mike312 said:

Westwood

Lees          Venancio     Van Aken

Boyd     Butterfield    Bannan     Reach

Fletcher  Hooper    Forestieri

Rhodes

Wildsmith

Wallace

Loovens

Pudil

Nuhiu

Jones

Depending on the new guys of course. Can move FF back into midfield if we're up against it.

Take it you don't think Lee will make the squad then??

Westwood

Lees    Venacio/Loovens    Van Aken

Hunt                                                                       Boyd

Lee              Bannan

Hooper

Rhodes                  Fletcher 

Edited by ramone

It's a system that solves a number of issues.

We have the centre backs to accomodate it now. It gets more of our attacking talent on the pitch. Potentially finds a proper role for FF. Negates our "problems" with the full backs. Would - in my opinion - be far more dynamic and effective than 442.

So get ready for 41 more games of 442. 

10 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

Can we?

Hope not. 352 got sussed out in the early 90's. Me and Furious King Paul Sturrock are not fans of back three's. That said I could see other variations involving a back three working for us. I'd much rather stick to something like we did in the second half against Sunderland. 

7 minutes ago, mike312 said:

Sh!t I forgot Lee. He is injured though, needs easing in. On the bench instead of Pudil.

Thought you might have.

I reckon he'll be back in the starting 11 during september. 

If he can get Lee Butterfield and Bannan somehoow into midfield they llokk formidable to me.

I wondered  if he's got Butterfield earmarked for the kind of role that Mooy plays for Huddersfield.

Liam Rosenoir has wrote a good article in the guardian, about managers choosing systems as they're on trend rather than best suited to players at your disposal. Resulting in players deployed out of position to accommodate systems rather than the other way round. 

Three at the back was a boon for Chelsea, but so far a disaster for Chrystal Palace.

im not too sure we have the players to carry this off. Plus injury records of players in key postitions adds even more risk. However it could work giving the likes of Fox and Hunt more license to attack. No idea where FF fits in this system.

imo our best attacking option is a 4-3-3 derivative. Given FF is staying this means he can play inside left with Wallace/Mattias on the other side.

Draw backs to this are where do you fit in Hooper (hole in front of two DMs? Not sure) and our brittle full backs would be exposed.

possibly a mixture of 5-3-2 away from home and 4-3-3 at home or switch depending on the opponent.

4-4-2 has become too rigid, predictable, flat and inflexible. 

40 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Thought you might have.

I reckon he'll be back in the starting 11 during september. 

If he can get Lee Butterfield and Bannan somehoow into midfield they llokk formidable to me.

I wondered  if he's got Butterfield earmarked for the kind of role that Mooy plays for Huddersfield.

I wrongly had Butterfield down as defensive, hopefully we'll use him going forward more.