Kieran Lee

I know I've mentioned him a lot of the summer but we really should target someone like Jackson Irvine.

We need another player like Lee, that has energy and drive, and is a box to box player. 

Irvine wouldn't even break the bank, so I don't understand, why we aren't in for that type of player, as we clearly miss Lee whenever he's out.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Lee undoubtedly ties our team together in a way that none of our other midfielders can. He's the only one who ever seems to run ahead of our forwards and create space for them.

The club should be doing everything possible to find another midfielder in a similar mould who can step in when Lee is injured or even play alongside him, perhaps. We just don't look the same without him.

Bang on mate.  I like Bazza, but you can't man mark KL out of the game like Bazza was yesterday and he's not getting under the CH's feet. He wins it, drives forwards, gives it and looks for the return in the box.  Simple and effective. Another like KL would be spot on. 

Said it many times but without K Lee, Carlos has no clue. 

I actually think we have a player who could fulfil a similar role though, Adam Reach.

Last season I often thought he plays in a similar way. Lots of running and movement. If he played in the middle he could potentially do what Lee does. Just an idea.  

11 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

Said it many times but without K Lee, Carlos has no clue. 

I actually think we have a player who could fulfil a similar role though, Adam Reach.

Last season I often thought he plays in a similar way. Lots of running and movement. If he played in the middle he could potentially do what Lee does. Just an idea.  

Good point this. AR played inside a few times last years and looked good. He doesn't seem like a natural forward player but can't fault his running and closing down. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

I know I've mentioned him a lot of the summer but we really should target someone like Jackson Irvine.

We need another player like Lee, that has energy and drive, and is a box to box player. 

Irvine wouldn't even break the bank, so I don't understand, why we aren't in for that type of player, as we clearly miss Lee whenever he's out.

Not really been too fussed about him up to this point, but he's a brilliant shout.

He'd be perfect. He's got everything we lack in midfield.

Funny how we got more points, saw a great run towards the end of the season to get into the play-offs without Lee in the team and then crash out of the play-offs with barely a whimper with Lee the team. There were many games last season with Lee in the side that were abject and poor. It highlights how poor our midfield is when posters talk about Lee being key to our side. He's not the most physical, not the quickest, not very good in the air, not many assists but gets the odd goal now and again. He isn't exactly the box to box player to drive our midfield forward now is he? Or is he another example of Carlos stifling a player.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Funny how we got more points, saw a great run towards the end of the season to get into the play-offs without Lee in the team and then crash out of the play-offs with barely a whimper with Lee the team. There were many games last season with Lee in the side that were abject and poor. It highlights how poor our midfield is when posters talk about Lee being key to our side. He's not the most physical, not the quickest, not very good in the air, not many assists but gets the odd goal now and again. He isn't exactly the box to box player to drive our midfield forward now is he? Or is he another example of Carlos stifling a player.

Lee was obviously not fit for the playoffs. To judge him on those performances is wrong.

It is obvious what Lee brings , even more obvious since he has been missing.

I am not really a stats man but up to his injury last season he had covered more ground, made more tackles and interceptions than anybody else in the league. He gets up and down the pitch, covers for others when they attack and makes forward runs to both link with strikers and run past them.

He is impossible to mark and consequently scores at a good rate for a midfielder. He is a decent finisher.

He can do all this for two reasons, his great energy and his reading of the game.

He is not a midfielder who stands and poses in midfield while trying to knock worldy passes, we have enough of those and therefore not a player who will ever stand out in the sense of "running a game "

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Lee was obviously not fit for the playoffs. To judge him on those performances is wrong.

It is obvious what Lee brings , even more obvious since he has been missing.

I am not really a stats man but up to his injury last season he had covered more ground, made more tackles and interceptions than anybody else in the league. He gets up and down the pitch, covers for others when they attack and makes forward runs to both link with strikers and run past them.

He is impossible to mark and consequently scores at a good rate for a midfielder. He is a decent finisher.

He can do all this for two reasons, his great energy and his reading of the game.

He is not a midfielder who stands and poses in midfield while trying to knock worldy passes, we have enough of those and therefore not a player who will ever stand out in the sense of "running a game "

There were plenty of games last season where he had no impact whatsoever but continued to be picked. His decision making is poor at times such as when in front of goal and is prone to making a few hospital passes.

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

There were plenty of games last season where he had no impact whatsoever but continued to be picked. His decision making is poor at times such as when in front of goal and is prone to making a few hospital passes.

I can only say I disagree with you and think his absence has been a major reason for the demise of our midfield.

Half fit , in a crunch game at Ipswich, at the end of last season , he made a trademark late run and scored a winning goal the like of which  the rest of our midfield can only dream about scoring .

Edited by oldishowl

Just now, oldishowl said:

I can only say I disagree with you and think his absence has been a major reason for the demise of our midfield.

Half fit , in a crunch game at Ipswich, at the end of last season , he made a trademark late run and scored a winning goal that the rest of our midfield can only dream about scoring 

As I said before more points without him.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

As I said before more points without him.

I don't care what your points count is, even if it is true. There are lots of things that contribute to picking up points and I am pretty sure the absence or inclusion of Lee was not the determining factor in all those games.

If you really think our midfield is better without Lee, having watched it perform in his absence , then that is your opinion and you are welcome to it

4 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I don't think he was fully fit and was rushed back. I do get your point though, when things go wrong fans do tend to say we're missing this and that player and why isn't this and that player getting picked.

If its his hip again he could be missing a while, I think someone mentioned on here last season that it was career threatening injury. 

Edited by bradowl

5 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I don't think he was fully fit and was rushed back. I do get your point though, when things go wrong fans do tend to say we're missing this and that player and why isn't this and that player getting picked.

If its his hip again he could be missing a while, I think someone mentioned on here last season that it was career threatening injury. 

Makes his selection even crazier when others were in form and we were hitting the play offs with momentum. I would like to know what medical advice was given regarding Lee and who saw fit to play him. The medical staff have been cleared out so who will Carlos blame for poor results now?

9 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Lee undoubtedly ties our team together in a way that none of our other midfielders can. He's the only one who ever seems to run ahead of our forwards and create space for them.

The club should be doing everything possible to find another midfielder in a similar mould who can step in when Lee is injured or even play alongside him, perhaps. We just don't look the same without him.

If he's back for the QPR game and Carlos starts Hooper and shifts FF to wide left we will look a completely different team. Him and Hooper are essential for us to function effectively in the formation we play.

33 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Makes his selection even crazier when others were in form and we were hitting the play offs with momentum. I would like to know what medical advice was given regarding Lee and who saw fit to play him. The medical staff have been cleared out so who will Carlos blame for poor results now?

That's the risk you take in the playoffs though. If we'd won them I doubt anyone would be worrying about Lee's fitness right now.

8 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

I’d we don’t get any crosses into the box, Lee or no Lee, we will struggle. 

Kind of a double point having read others comments aswell. Yes we do need to get crosses into the box, the problem we seem to have created for ourselves is it's very easy to defend against when nobody other than Lee from midfield gets into the box, add to that FF and Bannan being hobbits and your left with a situation that any cross or ball into the box has to be inch perfectly placed as our striker playing alongside FF is always outnumbered by two CB's and more often than not tracking back mf or fbs etc. Sad fact is pointless throwing crosses into an opposite box devoid of any of our players. 

Leee and Hooper for me 

Lee is the only one of our central midfielders with the running power and desire to go box to box and chip in with goals

Hooper is our only forward who has the ability to link midfield to attack and retain an eye for goal.