Evolution of the West Stand

46 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

WIth the changes to the outside thought I would put a little collage of photos of the changes to the Leppings Lane stand over the years.

West%20Stand%201_zpsdmdsfqdq.jpg

I love your posts mate..keep them coming. 

Truely interesting and a welcome change of the garbage and whinging. 

Todays stand looks very dated, in comparison the the other pictures. If you get my meaning; for the times. Bottom left would be modern for the 60s, a roof on a stand is luxury post that. 

7 minutes ago, onslow said:

Why not just reprofile the seating on the lower tier to make it one complete tier.

The segregation issues could then be resolved easily by netting over seats like other clubs do to flex the allocations.

Knock down and start again would be easier maybe. Make it the home end and give the kop to the away fans.  Controversial 

Build a super stand linking with the south and north with concourses, eateries, etc.  all home fans access via the park side and tram stop. 

Away fans in buses that drop off. On Penistone Road

or just move and build a new

stadium 

Or not 

:columbo:

Edited by Rogers

49 minutes ago, onslow said:

Why not just reprofile the seating on the lower tier to make it one complete tier.

The segregation issues could then be resolved easily by netting over seats like other clubs do to flex the allocations.

This seems like a simple short term fix. The view from the lower tier would also be improved and the SW corner properly integrated. It should also allow an increased capacity for home fans. 

1 hour ago, dunsbyowl said:

WIth the changes to the outside thought I would put a little collage of photos of the changes to the Leppings Lane stand over the years.

West%20Stand%201_zpsdmdsfqdq.jpg

Great pics but what interests me most is the bottom left pic. I didn't realise it was once attached to the South. Do you have any pics of a direct view of the South West Corner from the same era.

What year was it by the way? And when did the standing bit get removed?

5 minutes ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

When did the standing bit get removed? That is a tragic question on many many levels.

Was about to say same no brainer really....bottom left shot is late sixties ish ? Dunsby is the man to tell you that we are just a mere mortals as far as History goes in comparison to him 

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

1 hour ago, onslow said:

22 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

This seems like a simple short term fix. The view from the lower tier would also be improved and the SW corner properly integrated. It should also allow an increased capacity for home fans. 

I believe it  would also require new fan facilities (ie toilets, catering etc) installing on the lower tier to allow us to split the stand vertically.

Its why we can only split the stand between the upper & lower tiers

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

Knock down and start again would be easier maybe. Make it the home end and give the kop to the away fans.  Controversial 

Build a super stand linking with the south and north with concourses, eateries, etc.  all home fans access via the park side and tram stop. 

Away fans in buses that drop off. On Penistone Road

or just move and build a new

stadium 

Or not 

:columbo:

Turning the home end into every identikit pride park, kc, kingpower..oh well it probably will happen eventually

53 minutes ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

Plus we could have electric seats in the away end, when we score the fans get a bit of a shock and have to stand up. And when we play the pigs when we sing "if your not f**king bouncing you a blade" we give a lot of small electric shocks, enabling them to bounce too.  Inclusive see.

Is 15kV too small?

Edited by Flat Owl

Great pics but what interests me most is the bottom left pic. I didn't realise it was once attached to the South. Do you have any pics of a direct view of the South West Corner from the same era.

After the disaster the West Stand lower remained dormant for over two seasons until it was seated in time for the 1991/92 season.

1 hour ago, fatzooma said:

It's never been attached to the South. I think it's just a consequence of the angle from which the pic is taken which makes it look like one roof when in reality they've always been separate. 

1 hour ago, onslow said:

Because of who we are, we will never be able to fill the ground to it's capacity, nor will we able to do anything that has a modicom of common sense attached to it. Unless DC builds a state of the art stadium we are stuck where we are, whatever the result of the forthcoming trial is, 96 human beings lost their lives in or because of their presence in the West Stand.

18 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

After the disaster the West Stand lower remained dormant for over two seasons until it was seated in time for the 1991/92 season.

Here they are - ready for the start of the season - probably the mosy underused seats in the Football League apart from those in S2!

seats%20copy_zpsmvpqrg7z.jpg

2 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Because of who we are, we will never be able to fill the ground to it's capacity, nor will we able to do anything that has a modicom of common sense attached to it. Unless DC builds a state of the art stadium we are stuck where we are, whatever the result of the forthcoming trial is, 96 human beings lost their lives in or because of their presence in the West Stand.

Can we not bring up the Liverpool disaster, bring some optimism and positives to the table