Jump to content
dunsbyowl

Evolution of the West Stand

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

The 1960s plan ;-)

 

1963_zps7f6be451.jpg

 

Would still look good today - a real groundbreaker for the times.

 

Only the North stand effectively came to fruition.

 

It would probably have cost and arm and a leg and possibly have finished us..

 

Wolves nearly went under in the early 80s after building the John Ireland Stand along with some spectacular mismanagement ...the projection and investment has to be bang on.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steveger said:

 

Now that would have been a smart looking stadium, was it meant to fit where Hillsborough is now ?..

Yes - incorporating the existing North Stand - looking with the North to your left and Lepp to your right ( I think! ;-))

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Was it free to do that? I've sen some old photo's where you had to pay a "transfer" fee at some grounds?

 

Totally free to walk from Kop to Leppings Lane up until 1960 and vice versa.  The wooden stand didn't stretch as far back as the cantilever does, of course.

 

 You could also get in the standing paddock in the wooden North stand itself, too.   I can't remember having to pay for that.   There were seats in the back half only.

 

Yes- at many grounds you paid 3d or whatever to move into the 'paddock' from behind the goal.    Seen it a few times.  Boothferry Park, Hull was one.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, steveger said:

 

Now that would have been a smart looking stadium, was it meant to fit where Hillsborough is now ?..

 

 

Yes- Bottom of the 2nd picture, you can just make out the Leppings Lane turnstiles.  They were a slightly circular shape then.  

Edited by Lincs Owl
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's nice to see the little upgrades. So simple but bold and really push the brand. Watch muppets like Leeds united follow suit WTF:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Finlux_Cup said:

 

 

What? giving the whole of the Kop to away fans?   

 

I get the sentiment and no I don't mean all of it, but it'd be less of a nightmare segregating fans as it would be at the Leppings Lane end. If you gave away fans 2,000 seats at the kop west side, line of stewards from top to bottom so in effect from pitch to back of kop and the rest Wednesday (similar set up if the stadium was a bowl) then reconfigure kop so their only exit is Penistone Road, I think that'd work and prevent large sections of the ground being closed off. It's not perfect, but given the limitations of our ground worth considering?

Edited by Owlthekop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Owlthekop said:

I get the sentiment and no I don't mean all of it, but it'd be less of a nightmare segregating fans as it would be at the Leppings Lane end. If you gave away fans 2,000 seats at the kop west side, line of stewards from top to bottom so in effect from pitch to back of kop and the rest Wednesday (similar set up if the stadium was a bowl) then reconfigure kop so their only exit is Penistone Road, I think that'd work and prevent large sections of the ground being closed off. It's not perfect, but given the limitations of our ground worth considering?

No it's not worth considering.

 

Having away fans in the grandstand is worth considering though. Separate turnstiles just if you gate of them at the back, they exit up the stairs and over thr bridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever happens please stay at Hillsborough. It's got character unlike most new grounds. Even got our own dungeon. DSC_1205.thumb.JPG.3bbe84a3291e3549efeeab197c3379e7.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

No it's not worth considering.

 

Having away fans in the grandstand is worth considering though. Separate turnstiles just if you gate of them at the back, they exit up the stairs and over thr bridge.

So you want to fence off the stairs and bridge, which is the only access to the main reception, and give it to the away fans?

Edited by cactus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cactus said:

So you want to fence off the stairs and bridge, which is the only access to the main reception, and give it to the away fans?

Yes. No one enters the main reception nowadays do they? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...