Who would you sell?

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

An incredibly naive decision if that was the case. Did we just think that we could tack the goals of Winnall and Rhodes onto what we had? It was clear (to me anyway) that, this was never going to happen with the way we set up

I think most people expected we'd revert back to something closer to Carlos' first season when we signed Rhodes and Winnall.

3 minutes ago, mike312 said:

Jones, McGugan (obviously), Fletcher (for the wages and likely fee), Abdi (as he's never fit.)

I think his wages would preclude any club actually paying a fee for him. Fletcher could end up like Mcgugan in a year's time, surplus to requirements on a long contract on monstrous wages with no hope of finding a buyer. 

Edited by Almat

6 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Apart from the fact that Bannan is our most important play, maker. I wouldn't sacrifice him for a CB.

I disagree that Bannan is our most important playmaker. I personally would like to see a midfield without him in it an think we'd be pleasantly surprised. 

If we could get £12-15m I'd sell Tom lees. Hutchinson IMHO is a better c/h and if it bought us the areas that we all think we need to improve in it would massively increase our chances of promotion and we might even be in profit.

18 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Have you been smoking exotic tobacco.

If I have to smoking weed to suggest Hooper (6 champ goals last season)

What do people have to be smoking to suggest Winnall (14 champ goals last season)?

It's Ok to suggest Winnall (14 goals) or Rhodes, but not OK to suggest the current Owlstalk darling, who scored in 2 wins last season.

Too many sheep on here.

1 minute ago, OxonOwl said:

McGugan (obvs). I like Nuhiu but he should go. Winnall would probably make most business sense as we could a lot more than we paid.

I fully agree with your post. Nuhiu needs to go - he has divided opinion like no other on this forum but if we are serious about promotion, I think Carlos needs to take away of having him on the bench to bring on to see games out. It is a very negative tactic - we should be more positive than that. However, I would like to say that I have also appreciated his work ethic and his professionalism. I like Sam Winnall and to be fair he has given his all since he has come to the club and he doesn't deserve to be out of the 18 man squad which is likely to be the case at Preston.  We could get £2million plus for him and he deserves to be playing week in, week out for a good championship side.  

To sell a player you need a buyer. A buyer prepared to paid what we want/need.

If it's to fund a quality defender, you need to raise more than we'd get for selling all of Palmer, McGugan, Nuhui etc.

The only players we have with the right sort of value are Westwood, Lees (if we sell him we would then need two quality defenders), and Forestieri. Others (Rhodes, Reach) might get good sums, but we'd take a big short term loss on them, making FFP worse, so it won't happen. Fletcher, Hooper, Bannan, Abdi might just raise enough if we get rid of two or more players. Fletcher: getting on a bit and so-so last year, Hooper: injury prone, Bannan: hit n miss last year, Abdi: a year on the side lines. Be a hard job getting decent transfer fees for any of these.

So for me it boils down to a choice of either Westwood or Forestieri. No way would I get rid of Westwood.

Guest Ash76
1 minute ago, damianb1 said:

If we could get £12-15m I'd sell Tom lees. Hutchinson IMHO is a better c/h and if it bought us the areas that we all think we need to improve in it would massively increase our chances of promotion and we might even be in profit.

12-15m for Lees? Not worth half of that. I like Lees but vastly overrated by Wednesday fans, in today's market his true value is £4 a £5m. If we go up he'll need replacing 

I'd get rid of Rhodes, doesn't do enough for me and based on what I've seen his career is on a downward curve having peaked at Blackburn.

4 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I'd have thought you'd get 5m in today's market. Can't see Irvine costing the earth but I think he could well be the box to box midfielder we need. Still think we'll end up with Hanley.

Why so convinced that we will end up with Hanley?  I thought that ship (Theseus) had sailed?

1 minute ago, zzmdu said:

If I have to smoking weed to suggest Hooper (6 champ goals last season)

What do people have to be smoking to suggest Winnall (14 champ goals last season)?

It's Ok to suggest Winnall (14 goals) or Rhodes, but not OK to suggest the current Owlstalk darling, who scored in 2 wins last season.

Too many sheep on here.

Winnall, Rhodes, Hooper and Fletcher all have a lot to offer us and as forwards go I think that's the best set of strikers collectively in this league. 

Dave and Joao should be moved on.

Unfortunately selling players isn't as easy as it is in football manager. People actually need to want to buy the player. Then they actually need to be able to afford the player. And after that the player in question needs to want to move to said club. 

As has been proved with McGugan it's not that easy. 

Theres a long list of players I would want to go/be happy to see go. Joao, Nuhiu, McGugan, Palmer, Jones to name a few. 

Would these create enough money to sign a decent CB? I'm not so sure. They would certainly free up some wages. But would they free up enough wages to sign a CB of the quality we all want us to sign? 

As others have said I certainly hope our recent recruitment strategy hasn't left us in such a predicament that we're struggling financially (in the sense of recruiting players, not overall)