33 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

The stats would suggest otherwise, surely.

we need another centre half, no doubt- but Lees/Loovens are an excellent pairing when fully fit.

People seem to forget that Lees is nowhere near his best when the senior partner at the back; Loovens gets a ridiculous amount of bashing on here despite being a great leader and positionally one of the best in the league.

Player coach then a very good signing. But if just as a player, it would be disappointing from both sides. Semedo is good enough to play another couple of seasons for a lower championship side. But if coaching then fair play. He loves the club, probably more than any other player we have had for many years, has huge respect in the squad and the fans. 

4 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Good for morale

Capable in 2 positions

Will stay in top condition for the rare occasions he may be needed

Low wages, and (contrary to the bashing he gets on here) has rarely let us down.

Carlos knows his limitations. As a squad player on the outer reaches of the squad he's a good fit. 

Not a problem for me. 

100% fully agree.  

Plus he would be a great coach for the younger players at the club.  

Jose leads by example, and will undoubtedly help instil great qualities like team ethic, hard work and discipline.  

In fact, I think's its necessary we have Semedo back, 'he's magic you know'.  

I'd love to see Semedo back on the coaching staff

But if he comes back as a player, it's a no for me

You don't progress a club by keeping players that can't get into the team

You improve a club by getting better than Loovens, Loovens then replaces Sasso on the bench

Boyd has been brought in to replace Mcmanaman/Buckley

Boyd will also put pressure on Reach/Wallace

I love Wallace, but Boyd is an improvement and I expect him to start more games than Wallace

This is how you progress a club

You sign players better than what you have, the players that are replaced drop down to squad player

Out of contract squad players that rarely get into the team are moved on, no matter if they are on a pittance or not

It's a harsh world, especially for people with a heart like Semedo, we all love him, but to progress we need to improve

I can't believe people don't see this, we can't become a retirement home for players past their sell by date

Not if we want to improve

And as for being accused of Semedo bashing, what a load of nonsense

It's called progress, I suppose people can be forgiven for forgetting about progress, because apart from the last 2 years, we've seen little of it in the last 20 years

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

9 hours ago, Owl.1867 said:

People seem to forget that Lees is nowhere near his best when the senior partner at the back; Loovens gets a ridiculous amount of bashing on here despite being a great leader and positionally one of the best in the league.

Loovens doesnt get 'bashing' its more to do with the fact we need somebody in there who can play 40+ games a season . Im fine for him staying as a squad member as he is a good player, but if we start the season with Pudil or dare I even say it Semedo at centre half we will be catching up from the word go

7 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

And as for being accused of Semedo bashing, what a load of nonsense

It's called progress, I suppose people can be forgiven for forgetting about progress, because apart from the last 2 years, we've seen little of it in the last 20 years

I just don't get the appeal of Semedo personally. Should have gone 4 years ago.

But let's be honest, we're looking for promotion to the premier league,  if we were to sign any other player in the world with his ability ( or lack of it ) everybody on here would be absolutely fuming, calling for Carlos' head, and saying we lack ambition.

But for some reason it's okay when it's this bloke because he smiles a lot and says nice things about the club.

Offers nothing, we need better 

12 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

When they were all fit, they were great

We've had injuries to Loovens, Lees and Hutchinson, we're currently playing friendlies with Pudil at centre half

So yeah, I think we need a couple of centre half's

Clean sheet record or no clean sheet record

And for my money, the reason we have equalled the clean sheet record twice, owes more to Westwood than anyone else

Well pointed out, given that the manager has said the same I don't see what the argument is, other than it is taking too long to get them in - which I am sure is as frustrating for those at the club as it is for us.

Don't really see what this has to do with whether Semedo is coming back or not. If he is it won't be with playing centre-back regularly in mind and his wages are hardly going to effect the amount we are looking to spend on centre-backs.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Well pointed out, given that the manager has said the same I don't see what the argument is, other than it is taking too long to get them in - which I am sure is as frustrating for those at the club as it is for us.

Don't really see what this has to do with whether Semedo is coming back or not. If he is it won't be with playing centre-back regularly in mind and his wages are hardly going to effect the amount we are looking to spend on centre-backs.

Some of us pointed out we needed a new centre half at the beginning of last season

Carlos decided to fetch Sasso back, which didn't improve us

I have no doubt that if Sasso hadn't signed a deal elsewhere, he would be getting a call from Carlos around now

We need better than what we've got or we  don't improve, simples, glad the manage has finally spotted it

3 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Some of us pointed out we needed a new centre half at the beginning of last season

Carlos decided to fetch Sasso back, which didn't improve us

I have no doubt that if Sasso hadn't signed a deal elsewhere, he would be getting a call from Carlos around now

We need better than what we've got or we  don't improve, simples, glad the manage has finally spotted it

We didn't fail to get promoted last season due to defensive issues. After a short spell with us the previous season, Sasso had more experience of Championship football and in my opinion improved as a player and so did improve us. Yes, we need better and with Loovens likely to play less as he gets older we need better but whether or not Semedo comes back wont effect this.

39 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We didn't fail to get promoted last season due to defensive issues. After a short spell with us the previous season, Sasso had more experience of Championship football and in my opinion improved as a player and so did improve us. Yes, we need better and with Loovens likely to play less as he gets older we need better but whether or not Semedo comes back wont effect this.

So Sasso ducking under the ball at Leeds didn't cost us

Loovens failure to cut out a cross away at Brighton didn't cost us

I could go on but it's getting boring now

7 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

So Sasso ducking under the ball at Leeds didn't cost us

Loovens failure to cut out a cross away at Brighton didn't cost us

I could go on but it's getting boring now

You can highlight defensive errors all you like. Most would point towards our negativity and lack of making the most of our attacking options rather than individual defensive errors.

Westwood is the best keeper in the division but if you are highlighting errors that led to goals then you could pick out a couple from him last season. Even Franco Baresi cost his team a goal every now and again!

At Brighton our failure to convert from the penalty spot and take advantage of being a player up led to us not winning the game, against Leeds another missed penalty and a tepid display.

We had one of the best defensive records in the league, it wasn't what cost us overall.

21 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You can highlight defensive errors all you like. Most would point towards our negativity and lack of making the most of our attacking options rather than individual defensive errors.

Westwood is the best keeper in the division but if you are highlighting errors that led to goals then you could pick out a couple from him last season. Even Franco Baresi cost his team a goal every now and again!

At Brighton our failure to convert from the penalty spot and take advantage of being a player up led to us not winning the game, against Leeds another missed penalty and a tepid display.

We had one of the best defensive records in the league, it wasn't what cost us overall.

But that defensive record - as under Gray- partly came from a pattern of play that made us very hard to breakdown. Against Huddersfield virtually every player was a defender - that means your indidvidual defenders maybe don't need to be all that.

I'm not saying they're bad players but it was hard to e.g. exploit the lack of pace at the heart of the defence.