28 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You can highlight defensive errors all you like. Most would point towards our negativity and lack of making the most of our attacking options rather than individual defensive errors.

Westwood is the best keeper in the division but if you are highlighting errors that led to goals then you could pick out a couple from him last season. Even Franco Baresi cost his team a goal every now and again!

At Brighton our failure to convert from the penalty spot and take advantage of being a player up led to us not winning the game, against Leeds another missed penalty and a tepid display.

We had one of the best defensive records in the league, it wasn't what cost us overall.

we didnt get promoted so we werent good enough

Small %s make all the difference and the club has been needing a new CB for a few seasons now, even if its just to keep Lees and Loovens on their toes

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

But that defensive record - as under Gray- partly came from a pattern of play that made us very hard to breakdown. Against Huddersfield virtually every player was a defender - that means your indidvidual defenders maybe don't need to be all that.

I'm not saying they're bad players but it was hard to e.g. exploit the lack of pace at the heart of the defence. 

Yes I agree that we had a good record defensively due to the way we played rather than the individual ability of the defenders but they still have to be solid players and adept tactically to keep producing so many clean sheets over a prolonged period.

Had we been more attacking we would have probably conceded a few more as a result but I think our attacking ability and options would have outweighed our defensive shortcomings more often than not.

Last season ended in disappointment more to due with missed opportunities and a lack of attacking intent more than defensive liabilities.

I agree we need better for the new season - but so do those involved at the club.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Semedo will be coming back as a 4th choice cb.  I wouldn't do it but I can understand why the club think it's the right thing to do.

2 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Semedo will be coming back as a 4th choice cb.  I wouldn't do it but I can understand why the club think it's the right thing to do.

If true, then it's a downgrade on Sasso.

Not what we were expecting

4 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Some of us pointed out we needed a new centre half at the beginning of last season

Carlos decided to fetch Sasso back, which didn't improve us

I have no doubt that if Sasso hadn't signed a deal elsewhere, he would be getting a call from Carlos around now

We need better than what we've got or we  don't improve, simples, glad the manage has finally spotted it

Grudgingly written, grudgingly read and grudgingly negged ! 

3 hours ago, 33 said:

A centre half or even two that can defend crosses and set pieces would be nice please

The starting point is not letting the crosses in, silly free kicks need to be reduced. Establishing a two goal lead is so important. Early on we will have to contend with the referees early season hobby horse. This year I think it may well be shirt pulling at set pieces with Multi Mucho Penalties for a few weeks.

If he comes back as part of the coaching staff, I'm all for it. He's a great voice to have in the dressing room.

As a player however, I'll be deeply underwhelmed if he comes back as one. It will show how weak the mentality of the club is.

1 hour ago, Liamswfc92 said:

If he comes back as part of the coaching staff, I'm all for it. He's a great voice to have in the dressing room.

As a player however, I'll be deeply underwhelmed if he comes back as one. It will show how weak the mentality of the club is.

He probably be about 7th choice central midfield and 5th choice centre back. Is that such a problem? Blunts 7th choice central midfielder is probably Captain Blade.

44 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

He probably be about 7th choice central midfield and 5th choice centre back. Is that such a problem? Blunts 7th choice central midfielder is probably Captain Blade.

I know mate, it's really not difficult is it?

lol