Our wingers this season

Personally I'd have forestieri on left and Boyd on the right but as we all know forestieri won't be played on the left so it will probably be reach and Boyd, but I do think we need to get a beast of a midfielder to allow our midfield to be involved more in the attack, bannan and lee haven't worked for 2 seasons and I can't see it working this time round

Edited by Crack pot

Foresteri having to be a striker is a bit of a hindrance for us.

He is better on the wing he gets in the ball more. 

It reminds me of when tudgay wanted to play striker. He got his wish but it didn't improve us. (I'm not comparing the players before anyone starts) 

Reach / FF and Boyd are all hard workers and can track back and i suspect that Lee and Bannan will play in midfield although I would like Abdi in place of Bannan. If Hutchinson plays in midfield then we will only play with one winger (Boyd) which will make us more defensive. We need more players on form + free from injury and a bigger squad should make the players in the team play better.

Regarding pace- Waddle wasn't that fast but created loads

Think Carlos will rotate Boyd, Reach, Wallace and occasionally Forestieri on the wings this season. I'm hoping Mathias will finally come good and be added to our options out there too, however I'm not holding my breath.

I share peoples' frustrations that we seem to lack that real option of pace out wide, however Carlos has made it quite clear over the last 2 seasons that he doesn't like out and out wingers. It just seems a massive waste to bring in another Buckley/Macmanaman type if they will never get any game time. 

I can just about stomach CC's stubbornness for playing narrow wingers, if I NEVER see Bannan or Abdi employed out there. Lacking pace is one thing, but this manages to also relieve us of any width, disrupt rhythm and nullify the strengths we see from those players when we see them employed centrally.

If Bannan/Abdi are used out wide this season then we won't have a successful season. The real options on the wing are Body, Wallace, Reach, Forestieri, and Matias (with the present squad).

I'm a fan of Forestieri on the left, so I would start with him there and Boyd on the right (assuming we are sticking with 442).

The interesting one for me is if you play abdi in the middle,would you still play Forestiri on the left?

For me it would have to be Reach in that scenario as he does alot more defensive running. 

Personally I'm hope Bannan is not an autopick again this season. I know he has a good song and all that but there were many games where relying on him to create a goal proved frustrating.  

FF is a striker for CC, so he can be discarded.

Please god Abdi Bannan and Lee should never be on a wing!

So Boyd Wallace Matias and Reach for 4 places. Personally I don't think if he plays with these 4 he will have a preferred 2. Think he'll rotate. Should imagine Matias will be used a lot more than people think. 

1 minute ago, Bodhidharma said:

The interesting one for me is if you play abdi in the middle,would you still play Forestiri on the left?

For me it would have to be Reach in that scenario as he does alot more defensive running. 

Personally I'm hope Bannan is not an autopick again this season. I know he has a good song and all that but there were many games where relying on him to create a goal proved frustrating.  

Good shout. I think Forestieri and Abdi would work well together, but it could also leave us too exposed. However, Boyd is more of a grafter than Wallace (from what I've seen), so Forestieri on the left, Abdi and Lee in central midfield, and Boyd on the right might still provide sufficient cover defensively.

4 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

FF is a striker for CC, so he can be discarded.

Sadly, you're right.

I don't get the logic though as I've not seen Forestieri + another developing a good partnership, as where Fletcher and Hooper, and Rhodes and Winnall have shown glimpses of working very well together.

47 minutes ago, island owl said:

Reach / FF and Boyd are all hard workers and can track back and i suspect that Lee and Bannan will play in midfield although I would like Abdi in place of Bannan. If Hutchinson plays in midfield then we will only play with one winger (Boyd) which will make us more defensive. We need more players on form + free from injury and a bigger squad should make the players in the team play better.

Regarding pace- Waddle wasn't that fast but created loads

loving the waddle point - I keep thinking how good Beckham may have been if he had pace.

First game of season with our current squad would look a little like this:

Westwood

Hunt  Lees  Loovens  Pudil

Boyd  Bannan  Lee  Fessi

Hooper     Rhodes

Although, if Carlos sticks to last seasons tactics away from home, we'll end up like this

Westwood

Boyd  Bannan  Lee  Reach

Fessi

Hooper

This is me assuming Hooper will be our main striker this season.

Wingers do look pretty good at the minute, I know ideally we all want a little more pace out wide, but Boyd is a very good signing. And Reach can run.

The problem to me here is that Carlos hasn't mentioned a CM is on his shopping list. So we'll be stuck with Lee and Bannan again, I say 'stuck', they're both great players, but we do need another option. Someone strong and athletic.

Edited by Bradshaw

Unfortunately I have a feeling CC won't start Abdi even when he is fit. He seems to love Bannan no matter how he plays and doesn't want to drop him. Would love to see how Abdi and Rhodes play in the same team, think Abdi could be the creative player Rhodes needs.  

I'm normally Reach biggest critic but the fact he managed to score and get close to the target from range a few times last night against Tapton under 10's gives me a huge amount of encouragement. 

If Abdi or Bannan are ever played wide again after our 'narrow' concerns of last season then I'd be concerned. 

19 minutes ago, Bradshaw said:

First game of season with our current squad would look a little like this:

Westwood

Boyd  Bannan  Lee  Fessi

Hooper     Rhodes

Although, if Carlos sticks to last seasons tactics away from home, we'll end up like this

Westwood

Boyd  Bannan  Lee  Reach

Fessi

Hooper

This is me assuming Hooper will be our main striker this season.

Wingers do look pretty good at the minute, I know ideally we all want a little more pace out wide, but Boyd is a very good signing. And Reach can run.

The problem to me here is that Carlos hasn't mentioned a CM is on his shopping list. So we'll be stuck with Lee and Bannan again, I say 'stuck', they're both great players, but we do need another option. Someone strong and athletic.

Fessi off Hopper doesn't work. See playoff final. Hooper is the link man. Fessi is a wide man.

I'd personally like to see a team vs Preston of:

Kw

KL TL Bartlett AR

. . . AA BB

FF. . . . . . . GB

. . .  GH

. .  JR

Have that, Kiran and Adam attacking full backs, Bartlett striding out the back, Fessi and Boyd banging in early crosses with their strong foot. 

Not many teams would cope. 

ATTACK! 

2 minutes ago, malek said:

We have best header of the ball in the league. Give him couplevofvproper wingers to suply amunition.

Can safely say I don't know who you're referring to

Could realistically be any one of 3 of our strikers? 

Edited by StudentOwl

26 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Can safely say I don't know who you're referring to

Could realistically be any one of 3 of our strikers? 

Fletcher for sure.

Absolutely  superb header of the ball, and in my opinion best in division.

53 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I think Boyd will definitely improve us, but I'd still like to see us sign another winger with pace.

Maybe we don't sign wingers with pace because our forwards would be too slow to get on the end of any crosses Any rapid winger would either have to go it alone, or fanny about with it waiting for our strikers to trundle into the box