Our wingers this season

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe we don't sign wingers with pace because our forwards would be too slow to get on the end of any crosses Any rapid winger would either have to go it alone, or fanny about with it waiting for our strikers to trundle into the box

Do you think we need to sign a pacy striker then?

I'm happy with the choice of strikers, but obviously we need more pace in the team.

Good pacy widemen and strikers are very expensive so would like to see us get some young stars on season loan if poss.

We never seem to get the game changing top young loan stars like bristol? and hudds managed with abrahams and mooy etc.

We seem to prefer out of contract older players on big wages that never seem to make a big impact or have much pace.

Thats probably ok in moderation, but balance including some pace in key areas like out wide and up front are probably the key ingredients we're missing imo

23 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Good pacy widemen and strikers are very expensive so would like to see us get some young stars on season loan if poss.

We never seem to get the game changing top young loan stars like bristol? and hudds managed with abrahams and mooy etc.

We seem to prefer out of contract older players on big wages that never seem to make a big impact or have much pace.

Thats probably ok in moderation, but balance including some pace in key areas like out wide and up front are probably the key ingredients we're missing imo

Yes thats a big problem, part of our recruitment where we could do a lot better

10 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

He'll go with Boyd and Reach, especially away from home.

Personally I'd like to see FF on left and go with Hooper and Rhodes upfront.

Reach at LB all season.

I would much rather us bring in a loanee or pay a small fee for a well rounded LB. Reach doesn't want to play there and it hinders his development constantly being rotated between LM/LB...unless we switched to a 532 (unlikely) I would rather him battle Boyd or whoever else for that LM role. Plus I don't have confidence in either Fox/Pudil to be regular players in a top 2 side.

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

The possibles:-

Boyd

Wallace

Reach

FF

Bannan

Abdi

Matias

Its going to be really interesting to see what Carlos does. Our first 3 games will hopefully see a settled side, so who plays wide(ish) for us?

Boyd - 36 games out of 38 last season, at a far higher level. Surely, the one out and out cert is that Goerge starts our early games.

Wallace - 43 out of 47 games last season. Again, surely a starter 5th August?

Reach - 41 out of 42 games last season, though 11 as LB. If Boyd and Wallace are near certs, will we start the season with Adam as LB?

FF - only 15 starts at LW in two seasons, including only 6 last season. And we have more choice this year than ever before. I think this signals that Carlos disagrees with the majority of fans. He is a striker in our shirt.

Matias - won't post his starts! Possibly decent. Possibly great. But it's fanciful to consider him as a real option for the season. He could be a pleasant surprise, and a bonus if so.

Bannan - imo I never want to see him there, and maybe just maybe that might come true with Boyd, Wallace and Reach. Maybe Carlos has set his stall out to play two proper wide men pretty much every minute. Hope so.

Abdi - ditto Bannan.

Which two do you think Carlos will start with for PNE, QPR and Sunderland?

Which two do you think he should start with?

With two proper wingers and if he forms a partnership with Rhodes, FF will be unplayable next season!

If either Bannan, Lee or Abdi get forced into the side to play LM/RM think I'll give up all hope of promotion!...

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

That list is massively lacking a midfielder/winger with pace that we really need to bring in. 

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Does it make sense to believe that we will go for another winger, with pace?

I assume those that want one, want a quality one. Which quality pacy winger will come here, and play week in, week out, given that we already have three wingers who play as near as 100% of fixtures as you could ever get?

I think it's conceivable we will buy or loan a McGeady/Macca/Buckley type, but only to play a handful of minutes as they did.

My thoughts too - however the wingers with pace we have had in the past, McGeady, Macca and Matias have all unperformed or not played for various reasons. I think the bigger picture is CC doesn't have time for 'flair' players who only play hard on one end of the pitch...unless we can find a relentless box to box, quick, explosive, attacker e,g like Antonio was I don't think CC will waste his time bringing in a player that he simply won't utilise. 

If Carlos plays Reach for anywhere near the amount of games he did last season and doesn't use Forestieri on the left, more he won't last the full season imo.

This won't happen but my team next season would be:

Westwood

New Lees Loovens/New New

Wallace Abdi Lee Forestieri

Rhodes Hooper

Wallace has done enough to keep his place for now I think. Very tough call for centre midfield but that's what I'd go with for now. 

Also people complain about Bannan on the left but I honestly think he does easily as much and more than Reach does there. Still has the work ethic but has better quality. 

Think like what Fessi said above - Carlos doesn't seem to utilise pacy wingers. 

I think that that can only be to our detriment. It doesn't mean we have to play them constantly, but it just means we have that extra string to our bow if we ever needed it. Pace can change games.

I personally think Mo Barrow would be perfect for us from Swansea, always liked what I've seen from him, if not slightly erratic. Anybody know how he did at Loids last season?

I'm hoping we are a bit more tactically astute this season and play different formations for certain opposition, in my opinion we already have the players to dominate this league, it's the rigid, robotic and out date formation we roll out every game that needs addressing.

As most have pointed out genuine pace is a slight concern, as we don't get in behind with pace it allows teams to push up on us and cut down our space. Makes it difficult to play through teams. I'd assume Boyd and Wallace will start but I'd still like to see a Gradel type signing as he'd give us a plan B. Squad wise though we have quality and depth which compared to 4 years ago is a massive improvement. I just hope we don't become a Derby, in that we miss our chance(s) for promotion 

On 12/07/2017 at 07:39, Holmowl said:

The possibles:-

Boyd

Wallace

Reach

FF

Bannan

Abdi

Matias

Its going to be really interesting to see what Carlos does. Our first 3 games will hopefully see a settled side, so who plays wide(ish) for us?

Boyd - 36 games out of 38 last season, at a far higher level. Surely, the one out and out cert is that Goerge starts our early games.

Wallace - 43 out of 47 games last season. Again, surely a starter 5th August?

Reach - 41 out of 42 games last season, though 11 as LB. If Boyd and Wallace are near certs, will we start the season with Adam as LB?

FF - only 15 starts at LW in two seasons, including only 6 last season. And we have more choice this year than ever before. I think this signals that Carlos disagrees with the majority of fans. He is a striker in our shirt.

Matias - won't post his starts! Possibly decent. Possibly great. But it's fanciful to consider him as a real option for the season. He could be a pleasant surprise, and a bonus if so.

Bannan - imo I never want to see him there, and maybe just maybe that might come true with Boyd, Wallace and Reach. Maybe Carlos has set his stall out to play two proper wide men pretty much every minute. Hope so.

Abdi - ditto Bannan.

Which two do you think Carlos will start with for PNE, QPR and Sunderland?

Which two do you think he should start with?

Although both are left footed, I can see Carlos alternating Wallace and Boyd on the right wing for our first 3 league games, which would be my choice as well, so long as we have Hunt at RB. Don't see Carlos playing both Wallace and Boyd on opposite wings at the same time, but the pre-season friendlies will tell us more

On the left, I wouldn't discount prospect of Fox supporting Forestieri or Reach, otherwise I think Reach will take LB and Forestieri will get the wider attacking role. Problem is, neither are orthodox wingers. Reach tends to pass back or square, whereas FF tends to dribble towards goal. Neither are know for swinging in crosses

I just hope we stop fannying around like we did last season, trying to walk the ball into the net. We need to crack some belters in when there is a reasonable opportunity to get a shot on goal

45 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Although both are left footed, I can see Carlos alternating Wallace and Boyd on the right wing for our first 3 league games, which would be my choice as well, so long as we have Hunt at RB. Don't see Carlos playing both Wallace and Boyd on opposite wings at the same time, but the pre-season friendlies will tell us more

On the left, I wouldn't discount prospect of Fox supporting Forestieri or Reach, otherwise I think Reach will take LB and Forestieri will get the wider attacking role. Problem is, neither are orthodox wingers. Reach tends to pass back or square, whereas FF tends to dribble towards goal. Neither are know for swinging in crosses

I just hope we stop fannying around like we did last season, trying to walk the ball into the net. We need to crack some belters in when there is a reasonable opportunity to get a shot on goal

FF is a nightmare for full-backs. Running towards the FB or twisting and turning, the FB knows he is full of goals from wide So wants to avoid letting him come inside into his right foot. Yet he is also adept at putting in a cross, often with the outside of his right.

However, I just can't see Carlos playing him wide left this season. Only six starts last season there, and now we have Boyd, Wallace and Reach.

I would love to see him play that role for a 10-12 game run. But I think he is very unlikely to see much of that role this season.

Apparently it's all about the dynamics!

"4-4-2 with Fernando Forestieri on the left is different from Adam Reach. The dynamic is what matters. That is the most important and we are trying to upgrade our dynamic."

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-carlos-carvalhal-rules-out-owls-formation-change-1-8647482

Edited by owlandished

7 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Apparently it's all about the dynamics!

"4-4-2 with Fernando Forestieri on the left is different from Adam Reach. The dynamic is what matters. That is the most important and we are trying to upgrade our dynamic."

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-carlos-carvalhal-rules-out-owls-formation-change-1-8647482

So, 442 again.

Fine by me. I think it really suits us. Provided we dont shoe-horn of course.

2 CMs.

2 wingers

2 strikers

Happy days.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

If Forestieri causes panic when running at a full back, I'd rather him be doing that in front of goal Play him through the middle

Except that he doesn't. He receives the ball to feet back to goal with a gorilla up his jaxie. Worse still, we chip it towards his head. 

Its horrible. It doesn't work. It needs binning.

Should be wide or sub. But he will start and be striker. And goals will dry up. As they have done for two seasons. Then Carlos will push him wide. And we will score lots and win. But Carlos will revert to him as striker. And the goals will dry up.....repeat 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Except that he doesn't. He receives the ball to feet back to goal with a gorilla up his jaxie. Worse still, we chip it towards his head. 

Its horrible. It doesn't work. It needs binning.

Should be wide or sub. But he will start and be striker. And goals will dry up. As they have done for two seasons. Then Carlos will push him wide. And we will score lots and win. But Carlos will revert to him as striker. And the goals will dry up.....repeat 

You'd sub our top scorer (of the last 2 seasons), in favour of strikers who errr... haven't been the top scorer.