1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

You might see that pairing against weaker teams, but from his interviews, Carlos seems more than happy with the current system. That for the most part, will be 4 in midfield, with narrow wingers, one in the hole Hooper/Forestieri or maybe Abdi, then one up front, take your pick from Fletcher, Rhodes, Nuhiu, Winnall and Joao

edit I agree about the entertainment, but I'm hoping having had a year perfecting the system, and hopefully better players, the entertainment might improve

Don't disagree with that assessment. I think some of our issues last season were more about mindset and confidence and indeed I was a little encouraged to hear CC's comments this week about playing without fear. Good players feeling dizzy or getting nosebleeds when in possession and with a chance of causing damage going forward needs to change. CC and his team need to find a way of changing this timid mindset. Yes we do need 2 or 3 quality additions that would include a bit of pace but last season whilst the unit was efficient overall too many players too often fell short of their best creative standards. 

Back to JR I still have to pinch myself sometimes to believe that this gem of a goalscorer is ours. 

Edited by Dagmeister

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

This is a great signing. 

Looked like he was struggling for form, fitness and confidence last season but I think it's utter lunacy to dismiss him now. We've signed a potent, ruthless goal scorer with a frightening record at this level. With the benefit of a full pre-season and better service from the midfield (and Boyd is a start) he's a player we should be building the side around. 

Exactly the reason why I wouldn't mind if FF is moved on

26 minutes ago, torres said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion just find it a bit weird that people express their opinion so strongly when they haven't been to a match 

I was a season ticket holder this season, I moved to New Zealand mid February, which was wuicker than we planed.

I have seen Rhoads play numerous times for us and other team.

Just because I'm not at the match doesn't mean I DON'T watch Wednesday, like I said we have tv and the internet.

Edited by Blue and white

13 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I was a season ticket holder this season, I moved to New Zealand mid February, which was wuicker than we planed.

I have seen Rhoads play numerous times for us and other team.

Just because I'm not at the match doesn't mean I DON'T watch Wednesday, like I said we have tv and the internet.

Irony is, you'll probably be able to watch more matches now you've left the country, what with the iFollow season ticket!

Then your opinion will be valid, according to Torres. ;)

Guest RocketOwl

8 million pounds for a 1 in 5 striker for us is worrying, personally feel Boro have done very well from this deal.

For those that feel he will be a massive success despite clear concerns with his performances last season, please tell me why Boro let him go, knowing they would be in this league more than likely? A league I'm hearing he's the best ever striker - so why didn't Boro keep him?

12 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

........... - so why didn't Boro keep him?

You'd have to ask them . IMO they made a mistake. Time will tell. 1 in 5 for half a season doesn't warrant the £8m for sure but I guess that it's his excellent record overall in this division that the fee was based on. 

As I say though; time will tell. I'm very happy that he's with us personally.

Edited by Dagmeister

14 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

8 million pounds for a 1 in 5 striker for us is worrying, personally feel Boro have done very well from this deal.

For those that feel he will be a massive success despite clear concerns with his performances last season, please tell me why Boro let him go, knowing they would be in this league more than likely? A league I'm hearing he's the best ever striker - so why didn't Boro keep him?

I'd sooner he was in our team and not Boro.

17 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

From Boro pal of mine, who also knows the family a little...

Karanka didn't want Rhodes. 

The few chances he gave him were mainly as a lone-striker, which is not his game.

48 minutes ago, trev said:

Rhodes is class.

So happy he is our player now.

Him and Hooper are a frightening strike partnership. 

It's going to rain goals next season.

With respect Trev, we heard all this in January. However, I hope it does, but I still see us playing it cagey, but with hopefully a little more intent going forwards

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

With respect Trev, we heard all this in January. However, I hope it does, but I still see us playing it cagey, but with hopefully a little more intent going forwards

Small margins; a little more intent allied to a little bit of extra pace and quality might be all it takes. I don't see us playing with last season's timidity next term

21 minutes ago, trev said:

Rhodes is class.

So happy he is our player now.

Him and Hooper are a frightening strike partnership. 

It's going to rain goals next season.

Hopefully there's alot of preseason work, going into making them a 'partnership'

I think Hooper is key for us. He played two thirds of his debut season. He scored 13 goals, we finished 6th and lost the play-off final.

Last season he played a third of the season. He scored 5 or 6 goals, we finished 4th and lost on pens in the play-off semi on pens.

If he can play more than 35 games I can definitely see us finishing Top 2.

1 hour ago, Suzuki_San said:

Irony is, you'll probably be able to watch more matches now you've left the country, what with the iFollow season ticket!

Then your opinion will be valid, according to Torres. ;)

No it won't pal

Telly watchers don't count as a valid opinion either 

41 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think Hooper is key for us. He played two thirds of his debut season. He scored 13 goals, we finished 6th and lost the play-off final.

Last season he played a third of the season. He scored 5 or 6 goals, we finished 4th and lost on pens in the play-off semi on pens.

If he can play more than 35 games I can definitely see us finishing Top 2.

Either Hooper, or Forestieri will play that key role, just behind the striker. From Jordan Rhodes point of view, he has to show that he can play that lone striker role. Fletcher currently has that role, but Rhodes can challenge him, if he can adapt his game. He struggled with the role at Boro, but let's see if he can do it here

Guest RocketOwl
41 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

From Boro pal of mine, who also knows the family a little...

Karanka didn't want Rhodes. 

The few chances he gave him were mainly as a lone-striker, which is not his game.

So another team that don't play Rhodes game.

2 hours ago, modboy said:

It was a mistake not to sign him this January tbf 

I was only joking but yes he would have made a difference. I didn't know he was available, I thought it was just Owlstalkers putting a 100 page joke thread together every Jan and Aug. Now we've bought JR and everyone else is too old or rubbish we need to think of someone new for the let's hope transfer thread!