39 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah...because it'd be a really dumb move to try and get the best out of a 20 goal a season striker. 

You don't change something that's working well, to try and fit in Jordan Rhodes. He adapts to how Carlos plays, or he'll stay on the bench

Just now, Mr Farrell said:

It would be incompetent now not to play to his strengths.

Exactly. 

I mean the guy needs service. He can't do it all on his own like a Nando can. 

Get good service into the box and this lad will get 20 goals. 

Unfortunately for him his two recent big transfers have seen him come into sides who haven't utilised him to the best of his ability. 

39 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Has anyone actually asked for this?

Most just seem to want to see more service from our midfield. An outlandish suggestion, I know..

Actually plenty have, and that's what winds me up

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

You don't change something that's working well, to try and fit in Jordan Rhodes. He adapts to how Carlos plays, or he'll stay on the bench

It's done well, but it hasn't got us promoted (yet). 

Playing to the strengths of a 20-30 goal a season striker seems like a sensible thing to do. 

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He's our player now, so let's support him, but please, no more talk about changing the way we play to fit in Jordan Rhodes

I really don't think we'll have to. Fit and in form he'll score in our existing set up. Worse players than him have already! 

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

You either change our style from last season, or don't sign one of the most prolific box Championship players of all time. It goes together.

Even the most blinkered Jordan hater sees that.

No player is bigger than the team.

1 hour ago, marshy said:

With the right supply it could be a fantastic season for him, but the key is the supply. Over to you Carlos.

I'm not convinced he gets in our best 11.

Playing like he did last year I'm not convinced he gets in the 18!

Its not over to Carlos it's all over to Rhodes! The ball is firmly in his court.

He needs to improve his fitness, his sharpness, his aggression, his belief, his all round game. 

Record signing or not, CC won't play him if he doesn't deliver 

50 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's done well, but it hasn't got us promoted (yet). 

Playing to the strengths of a 20-30 goal a season striker seems like a sensible thing to do. 

Thats true, but it has to be part of a successful team. Rhodes scored goals for fun at Huddersfield and Blackburn, but they never even looked like winning anything. Look, I don't have a problem with Rhodes, he's done exactly what's been asked of him, most of the time to the benefit of the team. You know Rhodes would probably thrive alongside a big man with two genuine wide players, but would it give us more chance of success? Carlos obviously doesn't think so, and plays with one striker and one player in the hole, plus narrow wingers. The way ahead for Rhodes, is to be that one forward, and find a way of adapting to that role. If he can learn to lead the line, then his predatory goalscoring skills would make him the ideal focal point of our attack

Edited by gurujuan

2 minutes ago, torres said:

I'm not convinced he gets in our best 11.

Playing like he did last year I'm not convinced he gets in the 18!

Its not over to Carlos it's all over to Rhodes! The ball is firmly in his court.

He needs to improve his fitness, his sharpness, his aggression, his belief, his all round game. 

Record signing or not, CC won't play him if he doesn't deliver 

Where have you been for the last 5 years. Give him service and he scores goals, lots of goal.

Don't give him service then you may as well play Dave.

We haven't spent 10m to have him sat on the bench.

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

Where have you been for the last 5 years. Give him service and he scores goals, lots of goal.

Don't give him service then you may as well play Dave.

We haven't spent 10m to have him sat on the bench.

Where were you for the last 5 months?? 

His record is outstanding, that can't be argued with, but his performances for us were very very average. I want him to do well more than anyone but I'm not going to kid myself that it's all the teams fault! 

Im not buying the "do this and do that" to make him better, it's the same nonsense that people were spouting when we had May upfront. 

Its a 2 way thing and he needs to improve his performances, no one can surely dispute that.

If we judge players on history just get Jimmy Greaves in!

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It worked well but ultimately failed. It has to change though as another season of that style of football is painful to contemplate..... only promotion would gave mitigated the 'entertainment'  levels served up for much of the season. CC doesn't have scrap the whole blueprint; a less timid mindset would be a huge step for starters. With a couple of additions that bring a tad more creative quality and a bit more pace and power plus a good pre-season for Rhodes should see him far more like his proven excellent past standards. 

CC also saw it as either Fletchelr or Rhodes. I'd have liked to have seen them being given a chance to form a partnership.

Edited by Dagmeister

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

No player has scored more goals over the last 6 years at Championship level than Rhodes.

Play him right and he'll bag 20 goals next season.

A very good signing.

I'd play him central personally.

8 minutes ago, torres said:

Where were you for the last 5 months?? 

His record is outstanding, that can't be argued with, but his performances for us were very very average. I want him to do well more than anyone but I'm not going to kid myself that it's all the teams fault! 

Im not buying the "do this and do that" to make him better, it's the same nonsense that people were spouting when we had May upfront. 

Its a 2 way thing and he needs to improve his performances, no one can surely dispute that.

If we judge players on history just get Jimmy Greaves in!

New Zealand.

53 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

It worked well but ultimately failed. It has to change though as another season of that style of football is painful to contemplate..... only promotion would gave mitigated the 'entertainment'  levels served up for much of the season. CC doesn't have scrap the whole blueprint; a less timid mindset would be a huge step for starters. With a couple of additions that bring a tad more creative quality and a bit more pace and power plus a good pre-season for Rhodes should see him far more like his proven excellent past standards. 

CC also saw it as either Fletchelr or Rhodes. I'd have liked to have seen them being given a chance to form a partnership.

You might see that pairing against weaker teams, but from his interviews, Carlos seems more than happy with the current system. That for the most part, will be 4 in midfield, with narrow wingers, one in the hole Hooper/Forestieri or maybe Abdi, then one up front, take your pick from Fletcher, Rhodes, Nuhiu, Winnall and Joao

edit I agree about the entertainment, but I'm hoping having had a year perfecting the system, and hopefully better players, the entertainment might improve

Edited by gurujuan

57 minutes ago, offalyowl said:

For me he will have a hard job getting fletcher out of the first team because he lead the line great in the last few games, just can't drop him for Rhodes when hasn't showing anything 

Great.

We need any two from three of Hooper, Fletcher and Rhodes for 90% of the season and we will be right up there.

Healthy competition, options, substitutions and rotation. Fantastic strikers.