League One side Shrewsbury Town first in England to apply for rail seats

It's time, and past it, that the myth of 'all seater' stadia was put to bed. Not one stadium is 'all seater'. There may be seats there for people to sit down, but how many people insist on standing as soon as something they think interesting happens? I would venture to suggest that, at Hillsborough, even with a twenty thousand crowd, at least 25%of the spectators jump up as soon as the ball enters the penalty area..

Why not make an area where people can legitimately stand? It was not the 'seating' that was the problem at Hllsborough, but the fact that too many people wanted entrance in too short a time, and wanted to get the best viewing spots, regardless of the fact that here were already people standing in these places - people who had got into the ground legitimately, and early, and these were the ones who suffered.   

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:03, marshy said:

Don't think we'd ever get approval for an area of safe standing, even if Leppings Lane was knocked down and rebuilt. There's far too much stigma attached to Hillsborough. I could only see it happening if we moved stadia, and even then I think it's a long shot. Can you imagine the outcry. 

I agree...our fans are known for being unsafe even in a new stand specifically built for safe standing...shame on us for spoiling it for all the other clubs

On 2017-6-27 at 16:11, Holmes said:

Can't see the point of safe standing, the best bit of standing was when there was a massive surge and everyone lost their balance and place. Sometimes their money and stuff.

Sounds very girly to me (Sorry ladies, I am a feminist really)

For someone like me who never experienced standing as it used to be I think this is the closest we'll ever get.

The modern game is becoming so commercial now, the very last thing you could imagine at a Premier League fixture is standing areas. When you think about it how many women or children would want to be in a standing zone? Arguably even some of your teenage fans would rather be sat down too.

Too much stigma associated with 'standing sections' anyway, if you were to ask the overall % of Wednesday fans that go to 5+ matches a season, how many would say they'd rather be stood up than sat down for 90 minutes? Not very many or not enough that will regularly attend matches to make a large standing area sustainable e,g the Kop. Then when you factor in most of those fans won't be of the younger generation, over time your numbers are already dwindling. 

in short; never gonna happen.

Edited by Lionel Fessi

Safe standing is on the increase in Germany, Sweden, Austria etc., through supporter demand. More and more seated areas being removed for the "standing experience" in stadia throughout Europe. 

We just seem to have this "capitulate cos of Hillsborough" attitude over here, and are falling further behind our continental neighbours,  big time. 

We need to move forward from the disaster, not get left behind. There is a growing demand for standing areas at English grounds, and is gaining impetus. That includes a fair number of fans who want standing at Hillsborough. 

1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

The modern game is becoming so commercial now, the very last thing you could imagine at a Premier League fixture is standing areas. When you think about it how many women or children would want to be in a standing zone? Arguably even some of your teenage fans would rather be sat down too.

Too much stigma associated with 'standing sections' anyway, if you were to ask the overall % of Wednesday fans that go to 5+ matches a season, how many would say they'd rather be stood up than sat down for 90 minutes? Not very many or not enough that will regularly attend matches to make a large standing area sustainable e,g the Kop. Then when you factor in most of those fans won't be of the younger generation, over time your numbers are already dwindling. 

Well firstly if you ever went to an away game you would be stood up for 90 minutes. So clearly thousands do want to stand. It would be nice to have something to lean on though. I wish I could have stood up for the whole of the play off game instead of having to sit down.

I've never been a woman....but I loved standing as a kid, even when I couldn't see. 

There are though a  load of frankly ridiculous reasons why standing wont happen.

2 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Commercial reason? You can get 2 standing rail seat spectators in the equivalent traditional seat space. ( The actual figure quoted on 5 live debate yesterday was 1.8 but once you factor catering and shop revenue it increases to 2)

your point is correct about demographic is correct - but who's asking for all standing stadia? A choice would be nice.

8 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

It's time, and past it, that the myth of 'all seater' stadia was put to bed. Not one stadium is 'all seater'. There may be seats there for people to sit down, but how many people insist on standing as soon as something they think interesting happens? I would venture to suggest that, at Hillsborough, even with a twenty thousand crowd, at least 25%of the spectators jump up as soon as the ball enters the penalty area..

Why not make an area where people can legitimately stand? It was not the 'seating' that was the problem at Hllsborough, but the fact that too many people wanted entrance in too short a time, and wanted to get the best viewing spots, regardless of the fact that here were already people standing in these places - people who had got into the ground legitimately, and early, and these were the ones who suffered.   

And yet Buxton, as you will remember, when our home crowds touched 6,000+ and we had extreme difficulty in scoring. We would lie down on the Kop lol

16 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Dont be a bell end mate. Maybe an argument can be made that Liverpool fans had some responsibility but to simply state they were to blame perpetuates the 25+ years of lies that families have had to deal with. Criminal charges have been brought so this is not a subject for discussion but I haven't seen any Liverpool fans charged with manslaughter.

1 hour ago, the monk said:

Can someone tell me why it is dangerous to stand in the top 2 divisions but fine in the lower leagues?

Similarly, can someone tell me why these rail seats are fitted all across Europe and they don't have any safety problems with them? In bigger stadiums too, Dortmund & Munich are two examples off the top of my head