I think that Lucas Joao has been found out a little this season in the same way that Carlos has and his tactics. The way Carlos got around it was to adopt a more measured, slow and dull approach to games. Not exactly pleasing on the eye but got us to the playoffs. Lucas hasn't really done anything different to his game. I was hoping he'd bulk up at little knowing the rigours of the Championship but seems to have gone more timid and low on confidence since his tooth incident. If we did keep him, it would be at the expense of Nuhiu.

29 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Lucas Joao is one of those players where fans will still be banging on about his potential when he's 26.

I'd get rid if at all possible, we already have too many strikers.

This. And he's gonna turn 24 in September.

He's not even that quick so the defence of 'but he's pacey' isn't cutting it for me either. He doesn't use whatever pace he has.

He's a bit of a wuss too. I'm just not keen. I don't think he's got what it takes in this country, as talented as he may be.

39 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

This. And he's gonna turn 24 in September.

He's not even that quick so the defence of 'but he's pacey' isn't cutting it for me either. He doesn't use whatever pace he has.

He's a bit of a wuss too. I'm just not keen. I don't think he's got what it takes in this country, as talented as he may be.

Blimey, if he's not quick, what are the others? You're right though, he does need to toughen up a bit though If we need to sell some of the forwards, sell Rhodes, he's not doing anything, and he'd fetch more money. If we don't need to sell, keep em all

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Absolutely

Both seem to raise their game when alongside each other, so there's definitely some chemistry there. Plus a wide range of attributes that are difficult to defend against. 

Our only 2 forwards with any pace. The rest, of course have good qualities of their own, but they're all plodders.

41 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Both seem to raise their game when alongside each other, so there's definitely some chemistry there. Plus a wide range of attributes that are difficult to defend against. 

Our only 2 forwards with any pace. The rest, of course have good qualities of their own, but they're all plodders.

Exactly

3 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Get rid while we can get some money for him and make room to promote Hirst from the development squad.

Hirst needs to be involved in first team football next season. If not with us then on loan. 

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Lucas Joao is one of those players where fans will still be banging on about his potential when he's 26.

I'd get rid if at all possible, we already have too many strikers.

you mean like people who Say reach has potential,whose older than joao

would love him to succeed here feel he needs more time which is something we don't have much of with the pressure of trying to get promoted, maybe a loan out again till Jan and re asses where he's at? Has to be a loan to top end league 1 or mid to lower championship side to take points off our rivals

If the coaches can work on his first touch and his distribution, he may still have something that may be useful in overall squad terms.  Pace is so rare and on the counter attack he could be devastating.  I think a couple of the goals he scored last season were on the counter and he finished brilliantly.  Granted he's also missed a few, but I don't think it's too late for him to flower.  Some players are late developers.  If he works hard enough and listens to the coaches, maybe - ... just maybe we still have a gem on our hands.

2 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I'd still rather have Joao and FF up front than any other pairing we could field. 

Good job you aren't picking the team then! Joao is gash and needs flogging. Forestieri has serious application issues so whilst we are at it he can go too 

12 minutes ago, Kevan said:

If the coaches can work on his first touch and his distribution, he may still have something that may be useful in overall squad terms.  Pace is so rare and on the counter attack he could be devastating.  I think a couple of the goals he scored last season were on the counter and he finished brilliantly.  Granted he's also missed a few, but I don't think it's too late for him to flower.  Some players are late developers.  If he works hard enough and listens to the coaches, maybe - ... just maybe we still have a gem on our hands.

I agree with what you have said but it's the time scale that's the problem. Can we afford to wait? It could take three seasons plus to add this to his game!

He also needs to get some beef on without losing any pace, a bit like Benik Afobe did.