Premiership...Really?

when i take part in something, watching or playing i do it because i want to be the best at it, i wouldn't enjoy if not. whats the point in taking part in something if you are going to settle for second best? if we get promoted ill want us to then try and finish mid table, then season after push on. yes i know it wont probably work out like that, but that what makes it entertaining for me personally. yeah playing in championship means more wins, but id rather be in the best division testing our self against the very best. 

1 hour ago, toooldforthis said:

What is it about the premiership that makes it the dream destination?

Burnley 6pts above relegation, Middlesborough & Hull relegated...is this what we want to pay £35 per game to see for a season?

I really enjoyed the twists and turns of our last League 1 campaign then we had a few seasons of abject misery, dross on the pitch and no feel good factor for the days after each struggling game.

The past 2 seasons have been fantastic. Excitement, great football and some quality players.

I've watched a few premiership games this season and they've left me cold. The football is technical, the players are very good, the passion almost zero...but if that's our holy grail, to really struggle week in week out as we watch the big boys compete for 4 giant prizes (Champions League places)...I'm not sure it's going to be that good an experience.

£££££ - will help take out club to the next level.

Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and co. coming to Hillsborough.

New/different away days.

Pride - after 17 years in the wilderness, being a bit of a footballing embarrassment along the way, being back at the top table of the game.

15 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

I'm sorry but nobody in our fan base would be complaining if we got promoted.

Premiership deprecating threads are just a way to pretend we don't care when we're heartbroken.

Let's just admit it and move on to the next shot!

I completely agree. And neither would I :)

I'm simply saying that if Wednesday went up and it became season after season of struggle, the excitement of being back in the Premier League might thaw very quickly. If the club goes up, there needs to be a plan in place to stay there and then start progressing.

Out of interest, what are the realistic mid-term expectations of Wednesday fans if promotion was gained?

We get to the PL and DC can rightly start getting something back on his investment.  Until then there's only so long he can (with FFP) and will keep pumping the money in. In the back of his mind he must have thought when he bought the club that if we aren't promoted by a certain date he'd probably look to sell.

9 minutes ago, NetheredgeOwl said:

I completely agree. And neither would I :)

I'm simply saying that if Wednesday went up and it became season after season of struggle, the excitement of being back in the Premier League might thaw very quickly. If the club goes up, there needs to be a plan in place to stay there and then start progressing.

Out of interest, what are the realistic mid-term expectations of Wednesday fans if promotion was gained?

My expectation would be survival for the first couple/few seasons, then build from there. Definitely wouldn't be expecting European football any time soon!

11 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

£££££ - will help take out club to the next level.

Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and co. coming to Hillsborough.

New/different away days.

Pride - after 17 years in the wilderness, being a bit of a footballing embarrassment along the way, being back at the top table of the game.

Yes and no.

£££££ didn’t take QPR, Hull City or Middlesborough to the next level.

And £££££ didn’t prevent Villa and Newcastle United, two of the best supported sides in the country, being relegated. And what of Sunderland? Massive fan base, huge revenue streams but utterly awful on the pitch, year after year.

Money is all well and good but it must be used in the right way.

I completely agree with you point about pride. Wednesday are a big club and Sheffield is a football hotbed, steeped in history. It needs to be represented at the top table.

2 minutes ago, NetheredgeOwl said:

Yes and no.

£££££ didn’t take QPR, Hull City or Middlesborough to the next level.

And £££££ didn’t prevent Villa and Newcastle United, two of the best supported sides in the country, being relegated. And what of Sunderland? Massive fan base, huge revenue streams but utterly awful on the pitch, year after year.

Money is all well and good but it must be used in the right way.

I completely agree with you point about pride. Wednesday are a big club and Sheffield is a football hotbed, steeped in history. It needs to be represented at the top table.

I should have been more accurate, apologies. I was mainly thinking about infrastructure. Such things as Hillsborough being well behind Villa/Newcastle/Sunderland/Boro in terms on modern football/business use. Our training facilities - improved, but still well short of most of the clubs mentioned above. Scouting network/Youth set up - again, all improving, but more finance would accelerate the improvement. Our branding - more money and exposure gets us in markets we aren't in (and probably never will be as a Championship club), which generates more cash/exposure, and so on.

13 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I should have been more accurate, apologies. I was mainly thinking about infrastructure. Such things as Hillsborough being well behind Villa/Newcastle/Sunderland/Boro in terms on modern football/business use. Our training facilities - improved, but still well short of most of the clubs mentioned above. Scouting network/Youth set up - again, all improving, but more finance would accelerate the improvement. Our branding - more money and exposure gets us in markets we aren't in (and probably never will be as a Championship club), which generates more cash/exposure, and so on.

Can't argue with this.

With regards the stadium. Hillsborough is one of the finest 'old fashioned' grounds in the country. However, there is huge scope for redevelopment.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, I recommend watching his promotional video, outlining the potential changes to Hillsborough, had England secured the 2018 World Cup. It manages to modify the ground without compromising its essential character.

1 minute ago, NetheredgeOwl said:

Can't argue with this.

With regards the stadium. Hillsborough is one of the finest 'old fashioned' grounds in the country. However, there is huge scope for redevelopment.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, I recommend watching his promotional video, outlining the potential changes to Hillsborough, had England secured the 2018 World Cup. It manages to modify the ground without compromising its essential character.

Yes please!

Sadly, I can't see that level of development happening unless we get promoted - hence being so desperate to get promoted!

I appreciate people trying to comfort themselves by saying they didn't want Premiership football anyway but let's be honest testing ourselves against the best players and managers in the world would be an amazing opportunity. One I would love to experience in my life time. 

What a ridiculous post this is.

We should want to play and challenge ourselves against the very best in the country and in Europe. Having teams like Burton and Charlton bring about 200 fans really makes me proud to say I'm a Wednesday fan.

Top seven in Premiership

Chelsea

Spurs

Man City

Liverpool

Arsenal

Man U

Everton

Brilliant, great to have these teams back at Hillsborough again. Would they play a full strength side against us? Probably. Would our attendances increase?  possibly due to increased away support, but I very much doubt many more home fans would attend. You have to imagine all these games would be category A, so top prices would be charged.

Then you have..

West Brom

Southampton

Stoke

Bournemouth

Swansea

Crystal Palace

West Ham

Burnley

Watford

Leicester

Newcastle

Brighton

Hudds/Reading

Now they aren't very inspiring games are they? I can't see them getting any higher attendances than what we already have. Those clubs really, bar say West Ham and Newcastle, are no bigger than Aston Villa, Sunderland, Derby, Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Birmingham, Fulham, Norwich, QPR.

I also think the premiership money would rip away any last ' family' feeling that we have at our club. More mercenaries arriving to play in the Premiership who haven't got a cklue about our club, and you can forget about home grown players like Palmer, Wildsmith and - yes- George Hirst coming through. A manager wouldn't dare gamble with youth in the quest to stay up there.

Maybe I'm trying to convince myself, but surely the Championship aint all that bad!

Of course we want to be in the PL, but realistically where do we go once we get there? The top 6-7 is usually a closed shop unless someone like Leicester has a freakishly good season, so even if you manage to build up to be established rather than just battling relegation every year it must be amazingly boring to watch sides like Stoke and WBA every week, I get bored just watching the odd game of theirs on TV.  I really don't know why those middling sides don't have a real go at one or both of the cups just for a bit of excitement but no they still rest players for the next big PL game against Watford and often get knocked out by lower league sides.