Premiership...Really?

2 hours ago, doubleo said:

Mr C has spent alot on team and ground but can't keep pumping millions in every year. Plus the ground still needs alot spending on it. Get to the Prem is the only option. Plus we have the potential to push on. Have a look at the Prem table - we are big a club as any finishing below 7th, which includes the likes of Southampton, Stoke, West Brom, Palace, Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth. I look back and cringe when I think where some of these clubs were 20 years ago. We are a Prem outfit, don't ever doubt it.

This is bang on. We are a club that should and will be back in the Premiership and no-one should ever doubt that.  DC can see this and seems to understand it better than some of the supporters. 

3 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

What is it about the premiership that makes it the dream destination?

Burnley 6pts above relegation, Middlesborough & Hull relegated...is this what we want to pay £35 per game to see for a season?

I really enjoyed the twists and turns of our last League 1 campaign then we had a few seasons of abject misery, dross on the pitch and no feel good factor for the days after each struggling game.

The past 2 seasons have been fantastic. Excitement, great football and some quality players.

I've watched a few premiership games this season and they've left me cold. The football is technical, the players are very good, the passion almost zero...but if that's our holy grail, to really struggle week in week out as we watch the big boys compete for 4 giant prizes (Champions League places)...I'm not sure it's going to be that good an experience.

I can see where you are coming from, but I'm sure your post would be slightly different if we had got promoted this season. If the premiership is where the best teams play their football, we need to be a part of it. Do you really think we would struggle in the premiership ? I certainly don't.     UTO 

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Sheffield Wednesday occasionally have been one of the biggest 10-15 clubs in the country. Out natural home should be in the top division. If we don't aim to get there if feels like we are under selling ourselves.

But I do understand and share many views on why the Premier League is not all its cracked up to be.

Lets be realistic.

4 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

What is it about the premiership that makes it the dream destination?

Burnley 6pts above relegation, Middlesborough & Hull relegated...is this what we want to pay £35 per game to see for a season?

I really enjoyed the twists and turns of our last League 1 campaign then we had a few seasons of abject misery, dross on the pitch and no feel good factor for the days after each struggling game.

The past 2 seasons have been fantastic. Excitement, great football and some quality players.

I've watched a few premiership games this season and they've left me cold. The football is technical, the players are very good, the passion almost zero...but if that's our holy grail, to really struggle week in week out as we watch the big boys compete for 4 giant prizes (Champions League places)...I'm not sure it's going to be that good an experience.

Id rather pay £35 to watch Manure, chelski and city at Hillsbro than Brentford, Burton or Brizzle. 

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Id rather pay £35 to watch Manure, chelski and city at Hillsbro than Brentford, Burton or Brizzle. 

Plus there's still a £30 cap on all single match tickets

4 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

You'd better ask the guy that has invested the money. How long will Dejphon Chansiri be happy to fund huge financial losses? That is the key question. I'd be quite happy with Championship football for a few seasons to build. I fear he may not be and, if he goes, we really are in the financial dodo.

this, hes an investor, not a fan (though he may have slightly become more of one in the last couple of years but wouldn't you with £50m+ invested in something)

Apart from all the usual answers, there is one other that, unless i have missed it is...

The Premiere League could be revamped at any time.

Two smaller Leagues, with the big boys in the top one, effectively making the Championship the 3rd Division

The Top League Teams, either playing in both a Premiere League and a Euro League, or

A Euro League, that is just out there on it's own.

Whether it stays as it is, or is revamped, we need to be in it.

It's where all clubs aspire to be.

I don't particularly like what it has become.

But it’s where we have to be to see some of the great and proper fixtures of the past like Sheffield Wednesday versus Manchester United.

Of course it’s a different beast to what it used to be. Little more than a Cartel for clubs that have become behemoth monsters greedily swallowing billions of pounds , but it is -  in my head at least, and if I put the blinkers on and forget the ridiculous branding - still , romantically, just "The top flight of English football."

And that is where Sheffield Wednesday should be.

I think most people accept that apart from Man Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs (and to a lesser extent Everton) every other club in the league is one bad season away from relegation. What Leicester did in 2015/16 was amazing but it was a one off and the top six looks like a closed shop. I'm sure the Premier League can be enjoyable if you are a consistent mid-table side, Stoke fans for example are probably quite content - they've finished in the top ten the last three years and have some exciting players to watch.

Speaking as a fan of a club that consistently struggles however I'd have to say the Premier League can be an unforgiving miserable place. There is nothing worse than watching a team full of mercenaries go through the motions on their way to yet another defeat.

It's been half a decade of almost constant losing and it don't have wear you out after a while. It's got to the point this season where I was actually not bothered about the inevitable relegation as the thought of winning more than 5-8 games a season is a hugely attractive one. Don't get me wrong I don't expect us to go into the Championship and easily waltz to the title but the prospect of watching a competitive Sunderland side again with players who actually look like they care is something I am definitely looking forward to.

Ultimately we all want our club to be the best it possibly can be, and I'm sure after a few months in the Football League I'll be dreaming about once again taking on the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, but the club needs a massive overhaul from the top down and hopefully this relegation gives us a chance to do that.

Guest dadams2k11
2 hours ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

This is bang on. We are a club that should and will be back in the Premiership and no-one should ever doubt that.  DC can see this and seems to understand it better than some of the supporters. 

I don't mean to derail this thread but this statement sounds very arrogant. This is why i can stand L33ds because they think the have a right to be in the PL because they were once good.  

Why should you be in the Premier League? 

5 minutes ago, dadams2k11 said:

I don't mean to derail this thread but this statement sounds very arrogant. This is why i can stand L33ds because they think the have a right to be in the PL because they were once good.  

Why should you be in the Premier League? 

I said we should be in the Premiership, not that we have a right. We earn the right on the pitch. We should be in the Premiership because a club the size and with the history of Sheffield Wednesday shouldn't accept second best, and the statement was made in response to the suggestion that second best was ok. However much I dislike the scum I accept that they could argue the same. 

I really believe some of our supporters should start supporting teams with no chance of Premier football. They seem to be content with watching the likes of Burton and the other lesser Sheffield team, than watching our side compete against the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Man City.

I am not stupid and realize it will be a struggle for a couple of seasons, but with the clubs fan base and a very wealthy owner, we could easily be up with the likes of Everton and Southampton

I spent my teens watching the best teams and best players and am not watching that now.

We have just blown a wonderful chance to join the big boys with the wealth that goes with it and many still want the status quo to continue.

The Premier league is utterly soulless imo, but then again, so is most top level football these days.

Contrived plastic atmosphere in stadiums, sensationalist coverage in media (transfer deadline day for example).

A league so corrupted with greed and money that overseas agents can take billions out of the English game, whilst clubs like ourselves and many other big old clubs play Russian roulette with foreign ownership and massive debt in the hope that one day they will be back where they 'belong'.

A league where a crook like 'Big Sam', who should have been kicked out of the game for life, is lauded as a lovable rogue, and employed on a huge wage weeks after being exposed for being the filthy rat he is.

For Wednesday, getting in the top flight is vital, as history shows foreign ownership at this level never lasts very long unless promotion is achieved.

For me, I just want entertainment when I buy my ticket and to see good football matches, the championship is great for that, unfortunately, that's not enough for a club to survive any more.

I think what people are trying to say is, there are only 7 really good sides in the PL, that we would all like to see playing Wednesday at Hillsborough, the rest 'traditionally' are not good sides or a major attraction, therefore our regrettable failure to progress and the money etc that would have come with that should not allow us to be too downhearted.

Edited by OwlsMan1961