Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

Guest Bagarri
48 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

The trouble is other teams know we have money and stick another million or 2 on the price of a player. 

PL teams don't need the cash so are in the driving seat and roughly 16 teams think they have a chance of going up meaning they don't want to sell to a "Promotion Rival". 

Shoppng abroad is a gamble too. It's not easy this transfer business. 

I do think we should have been in for Curtis Davies though. Would have been a good signing for us at a ridiculous price. 

Completely agree and, yeah, I too think Davies would've/should've been the perfect new partner for Tom Lees. Shame.

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

With the likely outlay on wages I'm not sure he'll be value for money however well he plays.

If it were us signing him, I'd be a bit concerned with regards to his wages and FFP.

For what they're paying I think there's better out there.

If that article is correct the wages total £5m which is probably the same as us buying a £3m player when you add wages  to it. Terry may be an immoral & hideous excuse for a human but he is phenomenal at organising a defence & somehow he is a great leader.

Personally I could have looked past his miscomings to have him for one year. The experience it would give Lees would be priceless alone. He may not be quick but his positional play is immense & he's far better on the ball than Loovens. In the air I don't think there's many better.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

How humiliating, losing out to one of if not the championships best ever goal scorer for a header or two 

Did you go to the game, their defence was awful, and on that evidence, I wouldn't be bothered about Klose

1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

I see your point but I would say we've been bang average for much of the season. When we played with balance we looked at good team and results reflect that, when we've shoehorned players in to the team we've looked awful and struggled. 

I accept we've had injuries and that hasn't helped team selections but Carlos has shown time and again when he gets a near enough a full team to pick from he reverts back to shoehorning.

This team is very capable of better than it showed last season and last season the top 2 was very achievable.

No I agree,  and I was one of those suggesting Carlos change things, but from his point of view, why should he, it's working. Unless DC has had a word in his ear about the lack of entertainment on offer, then I guess it will be more of the same

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Disagree there. Most signings have done well enough to have us knocking on the door. There were some dodgy ones during the committee stage which lead to an overlap in the buying of players for similar positions after it was disbanded but even last summer and in Jan we strengthened up front and out wide. Question marks remain over centre half depth and our love of midfielders who have the same attributes though.

I would suggest we've had better value from the earlier signings

45 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

He was responding to the fact that your post involved your continuous criticism of Rhodes.

It's also why I negged you..But you know all of this.

Neg away if it makes you feel better We were discussing the merits of Klose as a possible solution to our search for a dominant centre back. I said, I hadn't seen too much of him but what I saw in the game at Hillsborough, left me unimpressed. He was constantly beaten in the air by Rhodes that day, a striker not particularly known for his aerial ability On that evidence, in my opinion, he wasn't going to be a solution to our centre back problems 

Edited by gurujuan

Jordan Rhodes, who holds the record for the quickest ever headed hat trick, isnt good in the air? Ok then.......He is plenty good in the air with the right service, which as we all know we dont always provide, and hope we will get people in the provide the crosses, etc etc

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Neg away if it makes you feel better We were discussing the merits of Klose as a possible solution to our search for a dominant centre back. I said, I hadn't seen too much of him but what I saw in the game at Hillsborough, left me unimpressed. He was constantly beaten in the air by Rhodes that day, a striker not particularly known for his aerial ability On that evidence, in my opinion, he wasn't going to be a solution to our centre back problems 

I did, and now I feel much better actually.

42 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Jordan Rhodes, who holds the record for the quickest ever headed hat trick, isnt good in the air? Ok then.......He is plenty good in the air with the right service, which as we all know we dont always provide, and hope we will get people in the provide the crosses, etc etc

We provided enough crosses for Fletcher to lead us to a fourth place finish It's one long list of excuses

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We provided enough crosses for Fletcher to lead us to a fourth place finish It's one long list of excuses

Seriously, did he block you on twitter or something? From the amount of time I've known you, you're an intelligent guy, and you know full well that sometimes players take a while to bed in, especially when they havent played much, like Rhodes at Boro, and it doesnt matter how much the fee is. If by this time next season hes done nothing, then fair play, but right now, you just seem like someone who got dumped and is trying to blame the person who dumped you lol

44 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Seriously, did he block you on twitter or something? From the amount of time I've known you, you're an intelligent guy, and you know full well that sometimes players take a while to bed in, especially when they havent played much, like Rhodes at Boro, and it doesnt matter how much the fee is. If by this time next season hes done nothing, then fair play, but right now, you just seem like someone who got dumped and is trying to blame the person who dumped you lol

I don't know what to make of it really Given the way we played, it seemed a strange transfer. Did Carlos want him, or was he just another player brought in by someone else. I don't buy the not having a proper pre season, he had a pre season with a Premier League club. Granted he didn't get much game time for Boro, but neither was he a regular starter for us. Can he turn back the clock, and become a prolific marksman for us? On the evidence so far, I'm dubious. Others have a different view, but their opinions are based on what he has done in the past, and what they think he might do in the future.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don't know what to make of it really Given the way we played, it seemed a strange transfer. Did Carlos want him, or was he just another player brought in by someone else. I don't buy the not having a proper pre season, he had a pre season with a Premier League club. Granted he didn't get much game time for Boro, but neither was he a regular starter for us. Can he turn back the clock, and become a prolific marksman for us? On the evidence so far, I'm dubious. Others have a different view, but their opinions are based on what he has done in the past, and what they think he might do in the future.

theres only one way to find out, and thats give him this season. Like I say, sometimes it takes players a bit to settle into a team, hell look at Pgba for Man U this season, we all know hes a bloody good player, but well, he didnt exactly play like he can last season. Doesn't mean he won't, same with Rhodes. 5 months of not playing every week on top of 6 months of barely playing for boro, yeah, not exactly the best season, so with a full pre season with us, and our squad, and hopefully regular game time I expect him to get back to where he was

Guest Bagarri
14 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

It appears to me to be the case with far too many Wednesday fans, especially with strikers. They're deemed failures after such a short time. No patience. 

Andy Cole (at Man U), Drogba (at Chelsea), Wood (at Leeds all had unsteady starts and became legends...Wednesday, they don't score 20 in 25 and 'get rid'. Meh, been recognising it since I were a lad and it'll never change...I just really hope players are at least smart enough to never venture on these forums. I'd be put off playing for some of these folks (most are a great lot). 

Support the team (at least give the individuals a summer and a full season please). UTO

39 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

theres only one way to find out, and thats give him this season. Like I say, sometimes it takes players a bit to settle into a team, hell look at Pgba for Man U this season, we all know hes a bloody good player, but well, he didnt exactly play like he can last season. Doesn't mean he won't, same with Rhodes. 5 months of not playing every week on top of 6 months of barely playing for boro, yeah, not exactly the best season, so with a full pre season with us, and our squad, and hopefully regular game time I expect him to get back to where he was

My opinion isn't based on whether he is up to speed or not It's based on what I know about the type of player Rhodes is, and how the coach wants us to set up. My view, before he even signed was, he didn't look like the type of player the system required, and amid shocked disbelief from most on here, I suggested he would struggle. 

I could see a scenario where Rhodes might flourish here, but it would necessitate quite a few changes, and it might be detrimental to the success of the team. A more likely scenario is, that he will be used as some sort of impact sub from the bench

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

My opinion isn't based on whether he is up to speed or not It's based on what I know about the type of player Rhodes is, and how the coach wants us to set up. My view, before he even signed was, he didn't look like the type of player the system required, and amid shocked disbelief from most on here, I suggested he would struggle. 

I could see a scenario where Rhodes might flourish here, but it would necessitate quite a few changes, and it might be detrimental to the success of the team. A more likely scenario is, that he will be used as some sort of impact sub from the bench

Only time will tell, but if its a case of as you say the wrong tactics being selected to suit him, then why are you constantly giving him crap, when it isn't his fault in your own words, but the management for buying him without knowing the tactics needed to get the best out of him.