In the cold light of day.

Wallace coming off didnt help, reducing options but they made the right subs at the right times.

Just so frustrating that having got in front we sat back and surrendered momentum, which we never got back. This is a long dtanding tactical flaw IMO.

Overall, good season, We have improved the squad and have a good chance next year. Apart ftom Middlesbrough, dont see the other relegated teams being a dominant force. 

Hopefully this will be our catalyst, as it was for Brighton, to build on incremental improvement and challenge for the top 2.

i have slept on it, and i have woken up just as grumpy if not worse.

i'm still in shock at how poor we were and those baffling tactics and subs, i just can't get my head around anything we did last night, we were utterly garbage over both legs too, what a chance of promotion we have just blown, those playoffs were there for the taking if we had played to our strengths.

it ranks up the top end as one of the worst managerial performances i have seen in 1 game of football, hodgson's england v iceland effort runs it close.

shambolic carlos

Guest Coyt
43 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Because our huge squad is made up of players who can't form a team that matches their individual talents Part of this is down to the missing ingredients, injured players, yes, but more importantly, the pieces of the jigsaw we needed to bring in. The main fault though is, the ad hoc nature of the signings. Just sticking to the big money signings for the moment. What was the thinking behind the recruitment of Abdi, Reach, Jones, Winnall and Rhodes? Did we need them, and how did we envisage fitting them into the side. For me, it was telling that not one of them started last night

After the playoff final last season, nearly every Wednesday fan knew and stated what was required, position wise, most notably a ball winning beast in midfield, pace on the wings and a centre half. He failed to address this during the summer and it's come back to bite him.

For me Rhodes won everything in the air last night but was very isolated. His first touch looked iffy and you could tell his confidence was drained away.

Think going 1-0 killed then taking Fletcher off killed us. Got a defend what we have mindset and lost our outlet and it's hard to change that mid game.

still has said didn't deserve anything over 2 legs and showed no real intent; as I said yesterday the worst thing is the playoffs as a whole were there for the taking and we didn't even have a go at em 

39 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

For me Rhodes won everything in the air last night but was very isolated. His first touch looked iffy and you could tell his confidence was drained away.

Think going 1-0 killed then taking Fletcher off killed us. Got a defend what we have mindset and lost our outlet and it's hard to change that mid game.

still has said didn't deserve anything over 2 legs and showed no real intent; as I said yesterday the worst thing is the playoffs as a whole were there for the taking and we didn't even have a go at em 

A more positive move would have been to bring Rhodes on when Wallace went off and switch Forestieri out wide. Too much emphasis on negating our opponents, rather then taking the game to them. The other problem with our approach is, it takes away the advantage of our 12th man. The overly cautious approach kills the atmosphere

Still can't believe that in a game where so much seemed to be in our favour we turned in such a staggeringly inept performance. Wagner said before the game that he wanted his players to silence our crowd; well, they didn't need to, our players silenced the crowd themselves. I'm sure he could barely believe that we seemed intent on making it a continuation of Sunday when surely with the crowd baying for blood he must have feared his players folding. But they were scarcely put under any pressure.

The decision to start a clearly unfit Fessi in both games, presumably on the basis that Hudds feared him, backfired. A large part of his game is chasing and harrying defenders when he hasn't got the ball and making them make mistakes; there was none of that. Having made the decision to start him he should, however, have been subbed at half time for Winnall who would at least have provided some pace. Fletcher was poor last night but got the goal and was then subbed; another baffling decision. Surely having got the goal he would have been on an absolute high? And then we bring Nuhiu on presumably to try and go more aerial and didn't put a decent cross in. Nuhiu also used to take penalties so why didn't he?

Losing Wallace, our one player who will take on full backs, was a blow but it shouldn't have been a problem. It is ironic that in looking at the subs bench before the game the Sky commentator reckoned that we had far more quality...which we did...but it was ultimately a Hudds sub who made the difference. So much for strength in depth.

Last year when we lost there were so many positives to look forward to. This year we have advanced in terms of league position but I can't see anything but question marks...over the management, over certain players, over our style of play etc etc. We've still, on paper, got a wonderful squad but which still vastly under-achieve. Only we could somehow turn the best goalscorer outside the Premier League into a new Francis Jeffers.

Bloody angry, in a nutshell. 

the one decision in where we should have won was taken by Fletcher and he chose the wrong option  when it was easier to score , yep he made amends , but the right decision could have been the difference ,

7 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

A pre season and a change of tactics and we have a provern goal scorer.

Would be madness to get rid of him.

I hope your right and I am wrong  mate becasue he comes over as a decent enough kid. My opinion is that he is our star signing and hes looking more  like work in progress at best and at worst hes looking like his best seasons are behind him. , thats fine when he is a squad player but not when he is earning twice as much ( at least ) of most of the others. We will see where he gets too over the summer. But if I was Chansari I would want to be convinced that there was not better available for £3 million a year.

In simple terms he was meant to be the difference that got us promotion I have not seen that in him has anybody else?

7 hours ago, Geedee said:

In the cold light of day. We were lucky to get to penalties, for that team to perform that badly over 2 games is totally unacceptable. But that's now history.

Line in the sand time, deep breath required. 

Then start again, new manager, more investment, give Jordan back to Middlesbrough

dont think we can

16 hours ago, Geedee said:

I hope your right and I am wrong  mate becasue he comes over as a decent enough kid. My opinion is that he is our star signing and hes looking more  like work in progress at best and at worst hes looking like his best seasons are behind him. , thats fine when he is a squad player but not when he is earning twice as much ( at least ) of most of the others. We will see where he gets too over the summer. But if I was Chansari I would want to be convinced that there was not better available for £3 million a year.

In simple terms he was meant to be the difference that got us promotion I have not seen that in him has anybody else?

I've seen a complete lack of service.

Best days are behind him?

lol

On 18/05/2017 at 09:54, striker said:

Wallace coming off didnt help, reducing options but they made the right subs at the right times.

Just so frustrating that having got in front we sat back and surrendered momentum, which we never got back. This is a long dtanding tactical flaw IMO.

Overall, good season, We have improved the squad and have a good chance next year. Apart ftom Middlesbrough, dont see the other relegated teams being a dominant force. 

Hopefully this will be our catalyst, as it was for Brighton, to build on incremental improvement and challenge for the top 2.

100% spot on with your assessment  of the Season.Still a lot to look forward to next season.:manager: