The Owls vs Huddersfield Town. Official Matchday Thread.

So we've taken the cavalier, free-flowing team from last season, coached the flair out of them, brought in wingers but stuck with 3 CMs in a 4-4-2 and played conservative, negative football all year and fallen short in the play-offs.

Not what I was hoping for from 2016-17. Bring on the new season.

We go again!

A team that for some reason keeps bottling it under pressure. All last season and this season against the bottom clubs, whenever we got a sniff of bettering 6th place (other than at the end of this season), Wembley last year, now. 

Why cant they handle the pressure? The manager? The players? Fans expectations?

Iff it wasn't for the playoffs, we would be thinking....

Mmmm. 6th last season, 4th this. Next season is our promotion year!

Bit like it was in the early 80s.

It's true. The playoffs are heart stopping but they give you a false perspective on things.

See what happened to Brighton. Couple of playoff failures looked like an Egyptian curse on them but, actually, they were simply building an unstoppable momentum and just happened to have a couple of bad results in a knockout competition two years in a row.

Anyhow, I will, shamelessly, be supporting them Royals (or are they  the Biscuitmen?) in the PO final.:rolleyes:

I think the main mistake was taking Fletch off. I was all for Rhodes coming on but we needed Fletch on to flick on for him. Rhodes was too isolated with FF not getting much change from their full backs.

Good luck Hudds in the final. They are a better team to watch than Reading so hope they win for the region.

I think the main mistake was taking Fletch off. I was all for Rhodes coming on but we needed Fletch on to flick on for him. Rhodes was too isolated with FF not getting much change from their full backs.

Good luck Hudds in the final. They are a better team to watch than Reading so hope they win for the region.

3 minutes ago, fife_owl said:

They were the better team over both games.  Sad to say.

Bizarre choice of the first four penalty takers.

What the f**k is sam Hutchinson taking the first penalty the most important one 

Fair play to Huddersfield who deserved it over the 2 legs. We were far too negative for a home team.

Disappointed that the best finisher in the championship in Rhodes didn't step up to take a penalty. Forestieri missing that final penalty also just seemed inevitable.

Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Huddersfield Town (Fletcher 51). 

Possession: 46-54

Shots on target: 3-3

Shots off target: 7-12

Corners: 2-6

Fouls: 10-17

Yellow cards: 2-2

Red cards: 0-0

Westwood, Hunt, Lees, Loovens, Pudil (Nuhiu 108), Wallace (Reach 5), Lee, Hutchinson, Bannan, Fletcher (Rhodes 61), Forestieri. 

Subs not used: Wildsmith, Jones, Sasso, Winnall.

Unlucky Wednesday. 

Well done Huddersfield Town. 

Disappointing end to the season. 

Oh well - that's that.  Massive opportunity spurned ..classic Wednesday.

Loath to admit it, Huddersfield have deserved it over the two legs.

No momentum in either leg from us  - just ran out of steam..CC's team selection found wanting when we really needed it and we paid the price.

why he jettisoned the team that won those 6 matches will always baffle me.

The first leg cost us imo - far too negative and the pressure was too much.

Dont think CC will hang around for too long after this and I expect a new management team in quite quickly.

We have a good squad and a decent manager can build something good here.

oh, and congratulations to Reading - really cant seem losing to Huddersfield.