Carlos's Contract

Howson confirms CC signed a 1 year extension last summer so does indeed run out at the end of the season. Really hope he signs a new contract asap, although would guess DC is seeing what league we are in before he decides on contract length etc. People wanting Pulis would soon be regretting it, the boring football he plays would drive us crazy. 

23 hours ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Agreed OP.

Also, it makes you wonder what use contracts actually are nowadays in professional football. It seems whether you have one or not, it has no impact on whether you stay or leave the club in the end.

Ditto

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Why?

Would you be staggered if we want Smalling to replace Loovens, Cline to replace Hunt, Giroud to replace Fletch?

One or more of them would be seen as sad, but a sensible and essential upgrade.

In fact the Pulis or Allardyce instead of Carlos makes far more sense than any one player swap. It's spending £6-10mil to all but guarantee Sky give you £100mil August 2018.

I totally get the loyalty and romance side of it, but I certainly would not see it as staggering that some fans want near-guaranteed Prem footie for the next era.

Is this a joke?

Just now, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Bit disappointed about this wording by The Star and its journos, especially at this point in the season.

As much as it shouldn't be a surprise.

Screenshot_20170506-115115.jpg

They've been causing a bit of tension on Twitter too. It's not on......

6 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

I get reporting it. I don't get saying doubts have "grown" because they simply haven't. 

Pointless sensationalism.

They're twisting the knife because Carlos wouldn't pander to them and they've been getting stick on twitter. Absolutely pathetic from both The Star and Radio Sheffield in all honesty, typified by the journalists arrogance to fans who have called them up on it.

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

Nobody had heard of Carlos when he arrived. He's done incredibly with no knowledge of the Championship 

I'd take him over Pulis every day of the week, who has won nowt year after year after year 

fact

tony pulis has never been relegated as a coach

or as a player

40 years relegation free

if you want survival admittedly with no frills - he is your man, his whole mantra is "get to 40 points then we can relax"

took stoke up same time as us (hcfc)   in 2008  and his then brand of "anti-football" eventually annoyed even stoke fans

I called it working with what you've got, still hated it mind.....

at wba I am amazed at some of the football they play but since reaching 44 points end of march they have lost their last 3 games all at home 1-0 to mid table sides

already on the beach and they are yet to play swansea who could send us down

and prob will

The Star stopped being a useful medium of receiving 'news' some time ago.

They'd report the musing of a 14 year year old boy who spends too much time in his bedroom masturbating and tweeting as 'news' before going out and doing any proper research . 

A neighbour of mine - who's never been to a football match in his life - likes to listen to Football Heaven/P & G. When asked why, he says it tickles him how one moment a manager is rubbish, then the next they're marvellous. Football fans are the same the world over, and I'd say we're a pretty tolerant lot compared to most. I don't agree with abusing managers/players on Twitter, but voicing concern on a forum such as this is justified.

If Carlos goes in the summer it will be because he wants to, or because Chansiri wants him to. To suggest that he'd go just because a few (quite possibly Blades) fans abused him on Twitter is frankly ridiculous. These people are very highly-paid professionals, and are unlikely top be swayed by Twitter.

For me personally we've finished roughly where we are. No better, no worse. When over a season you have a strike force of Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall, Hooper, Forestieri and Dave you expect to finish in the top six. Gray got us to 13th with Dave, May, and Lavery. If we go up he'll doubtless stay, and even if he didn't managers would be queueing up to take us on. If we stay down it's up to Chansiri to make the decision. It's whether he believes defeat would be acceptable given the opposition. On balance I'd probably keep him. But it's not my £100 million which has been poured in, is it?

18 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

A neighbour of mine - who's never been to a football match in his life - likes to listen to Football Heaven/P & G. When asked why, he says it tickles him how one moment a manager is rubbish, then the next they're marvellous. Football fans are the same the world over, and I'd say we're a pretty tolerant lot compared to most. I don't agree with abusing managers/players on Twitter, but voicing concern on a forum such as this is justified.

If Carlos goes in the summer it will be because he wants to, or because Chansiri wants him to. To suggest that he'd go just because a few (quite possibly Blades) fans abused him on Twitter is frankly ridiculous. These people are very highly-paid professionals, and are unlikely top be swayed by Twitter.

For me personally we've finished roughly where we are. No better, no worse. When over a season you have a strike force of Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall, Hooper, Forestieri and Dave you expect to finish in the top six. Gray got us to 13th with Dave, May, and Lavery. If we go up he'll doubtless stay, and even if he didn't managers would be queueing up to take us on. If we stay down it's up to Chansiri to make the decision. It's whether he believes defeat would be acceptable given the opposition. On balance I'd probably keep him. But it's not my £100 million which has been poured in, is it?

Agree 100%! And here's my opinion - I really don't want a manager who quits due to a few trolls on Twitter. Not that I'm suggesting he wiil, of course, but managers get paid very handsomely for being thick skinned and coping with pressure. I also personally don't believe they should be on Twitter in the first place. 

I also agree we are where we should be (we are the 2nd biggest club in the Top 6 on market value). It's just that this amazing 6 win run preceded an appalling 7 game run so we look (to some) like we have in some way over-achieved. We haven't. The Wednesday job is now a dream one for managers who wouldn't have even considered us 3 years ago so I personally wouldn't be devastated if CC went no matter what league we are in next season. 

Edited by Almat

16 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

And that says it all.

Brilliant post.

No sentimental fluffy clap trap. Just pragmatic realism.

Well done sir.

1 minute ago, Almat said:

Agree 100%! And here's my opinion - I really don't want a manager who quits due to a few trolls on Twitter. Not that I'm suggesting he wiil, of course, but managers get paid very handsomely for being thick skinned and coping with pressure. I also personally don't believe they should be on Twitter in the first place. 

I also agree we are where we should be (we are the 2nd biggest club in the Top 6 on market value). It's just that this amazing 6 win run preceded an appalling 7 game run so we look (to some) like we have in some way over-achieved. We haven't. The Wednesday job is now a dream one for managers who wouldn't have even considered us 3 years ago so I personally wouldn't be devastated if CC went no matter what league we are in next season. 

Wow. Two intelligent posts so quickly. Like buses. None for a weeks, then get two at once.

57 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The Star stopped being a useful medium of receiving 'news' some time ago.

They'd report the musing of a 14 year year old boy who spends too much time in his bedroom masturbating and tweeting as 'news' before going out and doing any proper research . 

Hope he cleans his phone.

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Hope he cleans his phone.

A maid once in my service  told me that when she worked in the hotel business none of the staff would ever touch the TV remotes in any of the rooms without rubber gloves on for much the same reason. 

4 hours ago, owlsdreamer said:

Maybe just maybe that with CC;s record of how long he stops at a club, he might just well be thinking of going back to portugal.

It ws never an ideal situation for a family man to be living in a flat in sheffield.

Completely agree with this. Maybe his previous journeyman managerial record means he isn't comfortable bringing his family with him? Or maybe his wife doesn't want to leave Portugal? Who knows?  I don't think it's by any means an ideal situation going forward, though.

if its to be championship football next season for the owls,the insane thing, is despite being totally out of their depth in the prem, Sunderland and Middlesboro will be favourites for the two auto places

leaving once again the play offs as the only route for promotion

which is a bit of a hard ask as for Carlos or indeed any championship manager as you can finish well clear in third but then still face the lottery of the play offs

id think it would be brilliant if 3 teams went up auto and one more from the play offs

maybe bung the 4th bottom prem team into the play offs with 4th 5th and 6th in the championship summat like they did at first?