SAG crowds and concourses.

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

p1290192.jpg

This is our West Stand Upper Concourse pre-match at a game against Bolton in 2012. That day there were 2400 fans housed in the West Stand Upper - a stand that accomodates 4164. So just over half full. Looks just as crammed as the concourse at QPR - in their Upper Tier they can accomodate just 1,500. It was twice as full as normal in that QPR concourse as all fans were being forced to exit one way - there was a stairway at the other end of the stand which could have been used to evacuate twice as fast if necessary.

This isn't about sticking up for SAG - as some of the more mentalist posters are suggesting - its about realism. Our facilities are absolutely dogshite 

But you said the netted off seats was because fans were standing in the north? 

And because of that a few hundred seats in the stand opposite need to be netted off?

Sorry what's your  link to packed concourses? 

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

38k full house v Wycombe 

Now capacity is 33k , but the concourses are the same as v Wycombe . 

Now tell me why SAG allowed 38k v Wycombe ? 

How do you know they wouldn't allow 38k if we played Wycombe again

at the risk of repeating things that have already been said, there are many variables that come to play in the capacity being decided upon.

Just now, Ian said:

How do you know they wouldn't allow 38k if we played Wycombe again

at the risk of repeating things that have already been said, there are many variables that come to play in the capacity being decided upon.

Whats the difference between Wycombe and Newcastle ? 

The concourses are still the same size ? 

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

p1290192.jpg

This is our West Stand Upper Concourse pre-match at a game against Bolton in 2012. That day there were 2400 fans housed in the West Stand Upper - a stand that accomodates 4164. So just over half full. Looks just as crammed as the concourse at QPR - in their Upper Tier they can accomodate just 1,500. It was twice as full as normal in that QPR concourse as all fans were being forced to exit one way - there was a stairway at the other end of the stand which could have been used to evacuate twice as fast if necessary.

This isn't about sticking up for SAG - as some of the more mentalist posters are suggesting - its about realism. Our facilities are absolutely dogshite 

I was on that stand v Wycombe. As far as i can remember , it was full to capacity. Never had a problem moving around , nor saw any real congestion.

Only problem was no smoking area , and you could have choked in the gents bogs with everyone using that as an unofficial smokeroom.

No need to spark up yourself , just breathe in.

No real problems encountered whatsoever , other than being pished off we couldn't join in the pitch invasion.

Guest Deleted member
18 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

But you said the netted off seats was because fans were standing in the north? 

And because of that a few hundred seats in the stand opposite need to be netted off?

Sorry what's your  link to packed concourses? 

The netted seats in the North are down to persistent standing. I was specific about that 

And only because I was told directly by a stadium manager who works with SAG

Just now, Grandad said:

The netted seats in the North are down to persistent standing. I was specific about that 

Why havnt they netted off 90% of the seats on the Kop then ?

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

What about the south? Lower lep

Upper Lep corner?

52 minutes ago, Ian said:

The relevance to SAG is that they stop this happening at Hillsborough.....which some people apparently think is a bad thing

The point was, the scene at QPR was an accident waiting to happen where the west stand has controls in place to stop it happening, so not relevant to each other but i take your point.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Are you really suggesting that some people may have a viewpoint that thinks it's unfortunate that there are people and bodies with the power to stop the disaster happening for a second time?

do you know these people?....are you one of them?.....and there's people in this thread saying those supporting SAG should be banned from Hillsborough.....But those people you allude to are ok are they

disgraceful

As I said 'depending on your viewpoint' 

You have a particular point of view but are trying to put a particular slant on what I posted to suit that perspective. 

I'm trying to look at this from both sides, Health and safety is of primary importance but i cant help but think that this may be in some way down to a lack of confidence in dealing with any major problem should it arise. Some grounds have never been tested and so won't have that issue. It's a pity and it will always hold us back even if we moved, I'm sure DC will have done everything possible to accommodate.

Guest Deleted member
6 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Why havnt they netted off 90% of the seats on the Kop then ?

Probably because those who stand on the kop are much smaller in number 

8 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Why rightly cautious? I think it highlights that they're overly cautious but sadly they're is still nothing that can be done as respective SAG's assess each public event on a case by case basis.

Besides, that's not a concourse it's a gangway. Any competent H&S body should insist that their TV's come out and refreshment stalls are closed

Because I'd rather there not be any incidents impacting our supporters, to attract kids and families scenes like QPR aren't acceptable these days, and finally 30k home seats are plentiful for most matches this season (not like people are queuing around the block to get in) 

Huddersfield impressed me as an away ground, loads of space and facilities .

Don't know why we don't move the turnstiles back again at LL end and create at lot more space , move all bars etc outside like as said at Hudds 

8 hours ago, BlueBloodedOwl said:

SAG have to follow strict guidelines. I thing this should help a lot of people on here understand the reasoning's for decisions that have been made:

http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/green-guide.pdf

says it all ......SAG stick to the guidelines as laid down by the government .......it's up to the club to operate within those guidelines ,that we cant  is down  to the club not SAG..........that we think the rules are draconian is neither here nor there .

9 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

9 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

The concourses are still the same size ? 

None at all.....Wycombe, Newcastle, Real Madrid.......all the same

Is there a stadium in the world that doesn't get congested when someone blows a whistle and 20/30,000 people then have 15 mins to go to the toilet and buy a drink ?

Does telling home fans to leave only via Penistone Rd not affect congestion or is it selective congestion we are talking about?

Guest Deleted member
11 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Id suggest you are in a tiny minority on this issue . 

The majority of us can plainly see SAG have a nasty vendetta against Wednesday .

I don't care whether I'm in a minority or not. I'm being realistic. I'm assessing all of the information thats in the public domain impartially and by applying some common sense and removing emotion from my assessment.

If you lot want to carry on obsessing and assuming that SAG have some downer on us and are prepared to risk their individual jobs for acting unprofessionally - thats up to you. 

33 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I don't care whether I'm in a minority or not. I'm being realistic. I'm assessing all of the information thats in the public domain impartially and by applying some common sense and removing emotion from my assessment.

If you lot want to carry on obsessing and assuming that SAG have some downer on us and are prepared to risk their individual jobs for acting unprofessionally - thats up to you. 

I don't think people are obsessing I just think most folk are annoyed that here at Hillsborough we have an away end that isn't attached to the home end and we can only let 2-3k Newcastle fans and on top of this have sections towards the away end in both the north and south stands netted off.

The poster that showed the qpr picture highlighted that whilst that looked packed it doesn't seem to be an issue there, even at a tight subuteo ground yet at a 40k Hillsborough we have to have 10k wiped off out attendance.

If only someone at sag could come out and explain why this is bcz personally I think it's totally over kill.

17 minutes ago, LoOkOut said:

I don't think people are obsessing I just think most folk are annoyed that here at Hillsborough we have an away end that isn't attached to the home end and we can only let 2-3k Newcastle fans and on top of this have sections towards the away end in both the north and south stands netted off.

The poster that showed the qpr picture highlighted that whilst that looked packed it doesn't seem to be an issue there, even at a tight subuteo ground yet at a 40k Hillsborough we have to have 10k wiped off out attendance.

If only someone at sag could come out and explain why this is bcz personally I think it's totally over kill.

It's not their job to explain why, it's their job to have as few people die in the stadium as possible. The ground needs modernising. If we go up I've no doubt that'll happen quick sharp. Then we can all go back to slagging off proper things, like referees and catering companies.