SAG - Irritating but necessary

Guest Deleted member

Slightly off topic but the age of the stand would not be a concern if designed well.

Have to disagree....the stand would have been designed taking certain spectator behaviours in to account so any stand designed say 50 years ago would not have take in to account that some morons think it's big and clever to bring and set off flares .....even 10 years ago who would have thought that the human race would have devolved to such an extent that groups of teenager who can't handle beer would think it a good idea to throw it all over everyone.....in fact it's not that long ago that alcohol full stop wasn't sold in grounds....then you have the smoking ban introduced - no stand designed before then would have taken in to account the need for an area where people would smoke

same with "segregation"....that is a relatively modern thing.....if my grandad was alive who used to bring an away fan home for tea every Saturday night was told that we had to separate the fans of different teams he'd think I was bleeding daft

i don't get why anyone would not want their attendance at Hillsborough to be as safe as possible......do people really think that SAG reduce capacities and such like on purpose.....what possible agenda would they have to do that?

And much though it hurts, the disaster did happen at our home....of course we will get looked at with that in mind....always...and I'm not sure why people think it shouldn't be

Edited by Ian

Guest Deleted member

Had a conversation last night with a stadium manager (not Hillsborough) who works with the same SAG. The reason the North capacity has been reduced is because of the persistent standing at the West end of the North Stand. 

Our stadium was deemed fit enough to have crowds in excess of 38K after the disaster

But since the latest inquest the H&S has gone mental

The presto stand has got to be flattened and the rest of the stadium upgraded over time

If we don't give 'jobsworths' like SAG an excuse then we can finally tell em to do one.

Guest Kameron

So your gripe with the club is that you can't get tickets next to you for your kids...no conspiracy then just me,me,me   lol 

Not at all, i'm happy to see the stadium with more supporters in it, beats the days when you could lay down just before nodding off.  It proves me point further, the kids have season tickets for next season now so again the clubs strategy has worked.

Had a conversation last night with a stadium manager (not Hillsborough) who works with the same SAG. The reason the North capacity has been reduced is because of the persistent standing at the West end of the North Stand. 

Interesting. We sit next to three or four lads who actually only take their allotted seat when they are forced to. Rest of the  time they are standing at the back.

The capacity is the same either way. More room for us so im all for em standing there. Lads wanna stand up and sing. It should be allowed.

Guest Kameron

I notice section T on the north was in use today as was the block on the south that's normally netted off.  Didn't the club listen to SAG?

Fantastic OP. I am only 27 and admit I get frustrated with some seeming over the top restrictions from them, but as mentioned, ALOT of people were injured or killed in a horrific way. Over the top or not, even if somethings are completely irrelevant, we should respect the decisions out of respect for the dead.  

Absaloute rubbish people die in all sorts of places all the time. That end was a terraced stand then it isn't now . It has been full on numerous occasions in the last 20 years and nothing has ever happened. 

Stupid setiment is beyond a joke these days. What happened in 1989 was nearly 30 years ago. The ground and the world are two very different places

People stand on the Kop , should that be closed too ? 

Yet more pathetic excuses by the Jobsworths at SAG . 

Guest keepitsteel67

Absaloute rubbish people die in all sorts of places all the time. That end was a terraced stand then it isn't now . It has been full on numerous occasions in the last 20 years and nothing has ever happened. 

Stupid setiment is beyond a joke these days. What happened in 1989 was nearly 30 years ago. The ground and the world are two very different places

Nearly 100 people do not die in football stadiums all the time do they 'pal'... But yeah people do die in all sorts of places well done

If the situation and associated decisions are based on current facts and data, then I've no problem with it.

If decisions are taken on the back of emotion and history, then discrimination is a real concern in my opinion.

Just opinion as I say, and so far from fact it's unreal.

I completely understand the irritation over the SAG - I share the frustration. It does seem like they are being overly cautious and inconveniencing many many people at times, not least the club and its fans.

One inescapable fact however is that many many people died at our ground, in living memory. The stand that was heavily responsible for those deaths (as per the inquest results) still stands - with seats now instead of standing, fences gone, and turnstiles increased.  

But other than that very little has changed in our ground. In any of it.

Our ground and concourses were mostly designed and built in the 60s. The South Stand was designed built before the First World War.

Laws have changed as a result of Health and Safety regulations constantly being updated. Imagine if there was a single death at our stadium at any time in the future that was deemed to be as a result of a breach of the health & Safety regulation? None of us like the continued discussion about the Hillsborough Disaster - but its a fact of life that this will always be associated with us - and therefore the SAG will be influenced by it. They will always be over cautious at Hillsborough - purely because of its history. It doesnt help that club officials ignored safety recommendations that contributed to the disaster in order to keep the capacity at a level suitable for semi final games - essentially sacrificing safety for profit.

Everybody hates Health and Safety people in this country - they are renowned for being pinickity - but they are a necessary factor of the modern world. Ambulance chasing solicitors also see to that too... Unpopular view I know. But its a fact.

Hindsite is a wonderful thing but of course, you don't need it

I'm just so confused over what's negatively affected Hillsborough since the Play Off Semi Final where there were 34K in the stands. And then how come Villa were given the upper and lower lepp and then Newcastle had been refused for the same request. These things make so little sense to me while they the SAG is needed.

It is still my belief Hillsborough would not have happened if Forest fans had been given the Lepp. 

Someone call the bloke from the public enquiry. 

We have some brand new information here. 

I'm just so confused over what's negatively affected Hillsborough since the Play Off Semi Final where there were 34K in the stands. And then how come Villa were given the upper and lower lepp and then Newcastle had been refused for the same request. These things make so little sense to me while they the SAG is needed.

SAG quite clearly just make it up as they go along. 

Guest Deleted member

True and we've got dickheads on here that stick up for them.

Point me in their direction and I will put them right