SAG - Irritating but necessary

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

I completely understand the irritation over the SAG - I share the frustration. It does seem like they are being overly cautious and inconveniencing many many people at times, not least the club and its fans.

One inescapable fact however is that many many people died at our ground, in living memory. The stand that was heavily responsible for those deaths (as per the inquest results) still stands - with seats now instead of standing, fences gone, and turnstiles increased.  

But other than that very little has changed in our ground. In any of it.

Our ground and concourses were mostly designed and built in the 60s. The South Stand was designed built before the First World War.

Laws have changed as a result of Health and Safety regulations constantly being updated. Imagine if there was a single death at our stadium at any time in the future that was deemed to be as a result of a breach of the health & Safety regulation? None of us like the continued discussion about the Hillsborough Disaster - but its a fact of life that this will always be associated with us - and therefore the SAG will be influenced by it. They will always be over cautious at Hillsborough - purely because of its history. It doesnt help that club officials ignored safety recommendations that contributed to the disaster in order to keep the capacity at a level suitable for semi final games - essentially sacrificing safety for profit.

Everybody hates Health and Safety people in this country - they are renowned for being pinickity - but they are a necessary factor of the modern world. Ambulance chasing solicitors also see to that too... Unpopular view I know. But its a fact.

I completely understand the irritation over the SAG - I share the frustration. It does seem like they are being overly cautious and inconveniencing many many people at times, not least the club and its fans.

One inescapable fact however is that many many people died at our ground, in living memory. The stand that was heavily responsible for those deaths (as per the inquest results) still stands - with seats now instead of standing, fences gone, and turnstiles increased.  

Our ground and concourses were mostly designed and built in the 60s. The South Stand was designed built before the First World War.

Laws have changed as a result of Health and Safety regulations constantly being updated. Imagine if there was a single death at our stadium at any time in the future that was deemed to be as a result of a breach of the health & Safety regulation? None of us like the continued discussion about the Hillsborough Disaster - but its a fact of life that this will always be associated with us - and therefore the SAG will be influenced by it. They will always be over cautious at Hillsborough - purely because of its history. It doesnt help that club officials ignored safety recommendations that contributed to the disaster in order to keep the capacity at a level suitable for semi final games - essentially sacrificing safety for profit.

Everybody hates Health and Safety people in this country - they are renowned for being pinickity - but they are a necessary factor of the modern world. Ambulance chasing solicitors also see to that too... Unpopular view I know. But its a fact.

So why did they allow 38,000 in vs Wycombe?

Guest Deleted member

So basically, every mitigating factor in the disaster has been removed or improved.  Yet we still have these jobsworths sticking their noses in.

Agreed - frustrating isn't it.

However given the 'concourse culture' its only a metter of time before a crushing will cause injury or worse there instead of in the seats

you cant single out club officials re the disaster, there were many contributing factors from all parties, it could have happened anywhere. 

Whoa steady on. I'm a health and safety consultant lol 

Guest Deleted member

you cant single out club officials re the disaster, there were many contributing factors from all parties, it could have happened anywhere. 

Yes but that was one of the factors.

Guest Deleted member

Whoa steady on. I'm a health and safety consultant lol 

In all seriousness - whats your view on SAG? (hate you btw lol)

Edited by Deleted member

Unless i'm mistaken the first world war kicked off in 1914, the south stand was rebuilt just before the 1996 Euro's 

I'm guessing history maths and common sense isn't your strong point?

I'm not happy about it but if you try to look at this neutrally (forget the things tying us to Hillsborough for a second), you'd have to conclude that the only way to put a stop to these levels of bureaucracy is to move stadium.

Unfortunately this is the answer. 

I just hope it will have some character.

Take the South stand clock maybe.

It could have but sadly it happened at our ground and as previously pointed out the inquest result has done us no favours. 

Guest Deleted member

Unless i'm mistaken the first world war kicked off in 1914, the south stand was rebuilt just before the 1996 Euro's 

I'm guessing history maths and common sense isn't your strong point?

I'm guessing your Wednesday history isn't your strong point?

we baiscally wrapped a structure around the old south stand - the concourses that are there are the original ones.  The new concourse for the grandstand is the only one in the stadium thats actually fit for purpose

Don't let that stop you being sarcastic though

I'm guessing your Wednesday history isn't your strong point?

we baiscally wrapped a structure around the old south stand - the concourses that are there are the original ones.  The new concourse for the grandstand is the only one in the stadium thats actually fit for purpose

Don't let that stop you being sarcastic though

Hahaha when it comes to your valued opinions I won't let anything stop me being sarcastic Mr Sheffield Wednesday

You should let something stop you making yourself look a fool though

Sometimes folk should take their own advice, just saying like don't get mardy about it