Shelvey effort

11 hours ago, SiJ said:

Ability wise he has to be the best player at this level. 

A rolls royce of a midfield player. 

He was the one player for Toon who impressed me today. 

Should be playing in the Prem. 

You could see why England came calling.

I hated him getting near the ball yesterday.

8 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Thought Jones looked after Shelvey very well indeed, Letting him have room deep and closing him when he tried to get forward. His influence on the game was well stifled.

I have Jones my mom for this reason yesterday. Shelvey still showed he was an absolute class player. 

18 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

He's a bellend but that was simply outrageous

Even better that it didn't go in

:baby:

The arrogance in him and in newcastle cost them the match to even think that would work against us is insulting lol maybe rovrum or wigan but westy had it covered all day long even if it was a few inch lower

Edited by stocksyuto

12 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Thought Jones looked after Shelvey very well indeed, Letting him have room deep and closing him when he tried to get forward. His influence on the game was well stifled.

Yea kept him relatively quiet shelvey even had to drop deeper to pick up the ball on a few occasions 

Guest keepitsteel67

I though a few of our players showed potential to deal with the step up in a very premier type game

Before yesterday, I thought Shelvey was just a decent player. One of them who is bottom end Prem/top end Champ, but honestly having seen him yesterday he should be in a midtable team. Ran show for Newcastle at times, don't think he wasted a ball all match. By far best player in the league.

Only time I've ever had a similar feeling to that was Andy Johnson. Thought he was average til I saw him in person.

26 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

The arrogance in him and in newcastle cost them the match to even think that would work against us is insulting lol maybe rovrum or wigan but westy had it covered all day long even if it was a few inch lower

I almost forgot about my thoughts on their arrogance. They came out to warm up 25 minutes before kick off. Taking into account going back into the dressing room, a final team talk and the kick off pleasantries it wasn't much of a warm up. Maybe they thought they could just turn up and win.

13 hours ago, LoadABallacks said:

The first touch was classs, absolutely did who ever it was for us. He knew exactly what he was going to do before the ball ebrn came to him. 

He's a very good at this player at this level. Everything Newcastle do goes through him.

It did.

had he not played yesterday it could have been embarrassing for them.

13 hours ago, richowl said:

IMO Westwood was nowhere near it & was floundering, mainly due to the sun.

an inch or two lower and it was in.

great effort.

Apart from the fact he touches the underneath part of the crossbar where the ball hit.

If it would have dipped in, it would have been the goal of the season. First touch was sublime and the shot was fantastic. 

I actually thought "what's that idiot doing?" as he shot. 

But, as my dad says, he might as well have kicked it into Kop as you don't get a goal for hitting woodwork. 

Thought he was good yesterday, not world beating but good. Maybe could have had another goal as he had about 3 shots and FKs from 20 ish yards. 

Watching it back, I don't know why Ritchie didn't hit the follow-up first time. Westwood is still in the back of the net and wouldn't have been in position to save a driven shot to the far post. He was running on to it and had plenty of time to sort his feet out and hit a powerful shot.

Couldn't understand why Richie didn't just net the rebound - relieved though

Thought Shelvey was their only starting player to get any credit yesterday because frankly the rest of them were a shambles - and for him to shine took some doing because he got zero support from the dreadful Diame

Perez looked like a trialist who is playing well above his level - glad they didn't bring Mitrovic on earlier as he was a real handful

Don't think a team have ever gone up with a poorer back 5 - i doubt any of them will play regularly in the premier - a pub team would be upset with the goals they conceded

I've only seen them on telly and obviously they can't be that atrocious every week - but Shelvey apart i wouldn't swap any of our players for theirs

Rafa is working a miracle keeping that lot in contention for automatic promotion

It was outrageous. Brilliant bit of play in the beginning to beat Jones (?). 

He was the only player I was worried about to be fair and I fully expected him to score the free kick at the end. I was amazed when he just blasted it. He looks as if he's got one of those Vic & Bob bald heads on 

lol

class act at this level though. 

3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It was outrageous. Brilliant bit of play in the beginning to beat Jones (?). 

He was the only player I was worried about to be fair and I fully expected him to score the free kick at the end. I was amazed when he just blasted it. He looks as if he's got one of those Vic & Bob bald heads on 

lol

class act at this level though. 

He's a baby, he's a baby!!! 

Don't think a team have ever gone up with a poorer back 5 - i doubt any of them will play regularly in the premier - a pub team would be upset with the goals they conceded

Although to be fair to them Ciaran Clark, who is arguably their best defender, and DeAndre Yedlin were both out.

If Shelvey's audacious strike had gone in, as it so nearly did, it would have outdone Sidwell's strike for Brighton against Bristol City earlier this season which was five yards inside the BC half. Shelvey's was from in his own half as I remember,