Shelvey effort

4 hours ago, mrgund said:

Why do most people call him a 'bellend' or an 'idiot'? I don't understand where the criticism comes from. Would love a player like him in our team!

Because he comes across as a bellend and an idiot? Even ignoring the racism issues (because I didn't follow the story close enough to pass comment), he regularly goes into challenges with the intention of injuring his opponent (elbows, off-the-ball stamps and the like) and never seems to get punished for it.

He's pretty good at kicking a football though.

Dad was unhappy that our midfielders weren't getting "in this face". I replied that if they commit themselves to tackle him, he will just go past them like they aren't there - exactly what happened to Jones just before the shot.

Best midfielder in the League? I'd say so. Its either him or Mooy.

1 hour ago, LoOkOut said:

Simply a premier league footballer.

Newcastle are lucky to have him or have kept hold of him .

Absolutely. 

You can see why Liverpool snapped him up as a teenager. 

Do wonder if his attitude will ultimately let him down as he should be playing in the Prem really. 

Got loads of talent. Very few players - at any level - who have the ability to hit a shot like he did yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Absolutely. 

You can see why Liverpool snapped him up as a teenager. 

Do wonder if his attitude will ultimately let him down as he should be playing in the Prem really. 

Got loads of talent. Very few players - at any level - who have the ability to hit a shot like he did yesterday. 

For a big lad his balance and change of speed is incredible ...really wish we had him in our side .

13 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

Hit and Hope? He knew exactly what he was doing.

not saying he didn't but it was still hit and hope ,yes it was a great effort no denighing that and obviously he knew what he was doing but the fact is the end product either goes in or doesent ,ie hit and hope especially from that distance ,

It's well and good to say Westwood had it covered.  But it was shall we say suboptimal to have the keeper tangled up in the net as the ball rebounds into a penalty area with a footrace on between players of both sides to get there.

Just shows how fine the margins are. One down at half time having outplayed them.  Who knows?  We might have gone down to a 0-3.

We didn't.  But worth remembering because sometimes the breaks go the other way - the litany of near misses against Reading.  

7 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

not saying he didn't but it was still hit and hope ,yes it was a great effort no denighing that and obviously he knew what he was doing but the fact is the end product either goes in or doesent ,ie hit and hope especially from that distance ,

So, it goes in, he meant it. If it doesn't it was hit and hope?

no it's hit and hope either way  if the keeper is off the line it's worth a go but from that distance you hit and hope it goes in , he tookthe option to have a go and well done fior that , it was a great effort and well done for that , but over that distance that's where the hit and hope comes in,but i digress i ain't making an argument out of it , ive done it myself a few times as a player , and i know how it feels you hit it and you hope ,