New Manager

24 minutes ago, james o connor said:

For me Carlos isnt capable of taking us to where we need to be. Sitting in your own box against Brentford at home being one of the many reasons i think this. 

I dont know if swapping the manager is worth while at this point in the season. We are probably better to carry on limping along and re assess at the end of the season. 

I get your point about changing managers at this late stage of the season but I just think we should roll the dice now.

Like you said we'll carry on limping along and I think given the poor form of the sides below us we'll probably scrape a play-off place but in the words of Keith Andrews on Saturday, our fans should be getting more from this group of players and should be cemented in a play-off spot.

If we limp over the line (which I think we will with Carlos in charge) in spite of the fact that we have the best squad of players currently in the play-off spots, not one of the other 3 teams would fear playing us and I don't think we'd go up either so then I'd ask myself, what's the point of limping along?

If the play-off places stay as they are, then it would be far far weaker opposition than last season (when it was us, Derby, hull and Brighton) and I can't help but think this would be one hell of a missed opportunity if we didn't go up, especially with the teams coming down having an extra £100m to spend next season and you'd also expect a re-assurgance from Villa, Derby and Norwich.

For me it's death or glory, we should the take the chance like we did with Megson and go for it as regardless of whether we make the top 6 or not, I can't see us going up with Carlos in charge and given the players that are currently at the club, that would be a massive shame.

Just my opinion and would love to be proven wrong.

6 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Bloody hell. 

We are still on target for the play-offs, no one seriously thought that we would make top two. We havent failed yet, the season hasnt "fizzled away".....what is wrong with some people? Its almost like some folk want us to fail. 

Nobody on here wants us to fail, they are just voicing the concerns they have with the direction the team is taking on the pitch. nothing wrong with that.

CC got us to within 90 mins of the Premier League last season and is nicely on course to get us to the play offs again this season-270 mins of football from the Premier League. 

Hes shown he's no 'one season wonder'. FF pops the penalty in against Brighton away, JR pops the penalty away against Leeds and we are 4 points better off and everyone's talking about automatic promotion.Some of our fans are so fickle. Had we been languishing in mid table I'd understand it but not when we are sat in the playoff positions.

8 minutes ago, Tudders said:

CC got us to within 90 mins of the Premier League last season and is nicely on course to get us to the play offs again this season-270 mins of football from the Premier League. 

Hes shown he's no 'one season wonder'. FF pops the penalty in against Brighton away, JR pops the penalty away against Leeds and we are 4 points better off and everyone's talking about automatic promotion.Some of our fans are so fickle. Had we been languishing in mid table I'd understand it but not when we are sat in the playoff positions.

had Forest put their penalty away etc etc. swings and round abouts. as correctly pointed out above, we have the most talented squad out of the teams currently occupying the play offs. Would anybody here back us to do it under Carlos? Id suggest only the seriously deluded would 

I dont dislike Carlos and I hate that we are under performing, I just think like and sane minded person would that we should be doing more with the talent we have 

Edited by james o connor

I guess the question is about whether Carlos is getting the best from the players we have. In other words, are we underachieving, breaking even, or overachieving? I'd say that we're underachieving. Newcastle and Brighton are pretty much where I expected them to be, whereas Leeds, 'Udders and Reading are definitely overachieving. That's why we find ourselves in this situation. I think that there's a good chance we'll finish 8th this time around. We're lucky that Derby had such a terrible start to the season, or we'd already be out of the top six. All we can hope for now is that Leeds don't go up, and then they lose Wood in the summer.

Its not gonna happen. Nothing to gain at this stage of the season. If it was gonna happen the time to change would have been pre xmas. We have to stick with what we have. I for one just hope Carlos sees sense and changes it to all out attack every game. Playing cautious every game is not going to get us promoted.

43 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Its not gonna happen. Nothing to gain at this stage of the season. If it was gonna happen the time to change would have been pre xmas. We have to stick with what we have. I for one just hope Carlos sees sense and changes it to all out attack every game. Playing cautious every game is not going to get us promoted.

Well, bringing in Dave Jones made a difference. What would Mandy do? When given a hard time for making a change by local reporters he simply said "Look, guys, I want to get promoted here". We have the players to go up, that's the frustrating part.  A new man would bring new ideas and new tactics to confound our opponents. We'll probably end up making a change in the close season anyway.

Edited by Athelwulf

8 hours ago, james o connor said:

For me Carlos isnt capable of taking us to where we need to be. Sitting in your own box against Brentford at home being one of the many reasons i think this. 

I dont know if swapping the manager is worth while at this point in the season. We are probably better to carry on limping along and re assess at the end of the season. 

Bang on right, though I'm surprised you have so many pluses. It's against the rules to criticise king Carlos init?

8 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Bang on right, though I'm surprised you have so many pluses. It's against the rules to criticise king Carlos init?

Chairmen are always looking, and I would imagine that bearing in mind our squad lots of good managers would be interested in taking us on. I'd rather it be done now than at the end of the season, if it's to be done at all. A new man would have an impact that may well carry us over the line this time. If we stick with Carlos then we'll probably end up making a change in the summer anyway, and I can't see trying to gain promotion next season being any easier than this.

21 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Chairmen are always looking, and I would imagine that bearing in mind our squad lots of good managers would be interested in taking us on. I'd rather it be done now than at the end of the season, if it's to be done at all. A new man would have an impact that may well carry us over the line this time. If we stick with Carlos then we'll probably end up making a change in the summer anyway, and I can't see trying to gain promotion next season being any easier than this.

While I would agree in principal, I doubt if practical. Of course, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes now but whom would be able to change things around at this stage, players we have sometimes look ..err a bit confused already, changes now would / may make things worst. Not worth risk at this stage I would think, but hey who knows really.

52 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Against the rules to criticise King Carlos?

80% of the f*****n posts are unadulterated bile against CC.

Edited by bigthinrob

Well we're short at CB and no manager can change that now. But we do have a lot of good players on the books whom a new man could work with. Usually a new man has a honeymoon of 5-6 matches anyway, and we'd be less predictable and easy to read. We're stale at present, and there's nothing to suggest that things will change. Our assets lie mainly in the forward department, so it makes sense to make use of that. I get that doing it the defensive 'Boro way is probably better for a non-parachute team, but you need the players/balance and manager to do that. Carlos is trying to play a brand of football which isn't his natural style. A new man would probably go for it, and as things stand I don't see what we have to lose. As things stand at present, the most likely outcome is that we either don't make the playoffs or we lose in them. That would probably mean a change of manager anyway, so for me it's probably better to do what Mandaric did when he brought in Dave Jones. P.S. Mandaric struck on the 29th of February.

Edited by Athelwulf

12 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

It always amazes me how fans can want to choose a novice at management as the next appointment .

Wasn't Carlos a novice in the English Championship. I'm not knocking him but his CV is not convincing, everyone's a novice at some time.

I mean the people on here who say it's a very tough league, seem to forget Barnsley were in the pub league last year and would go straight back down...cos this is the big boys league (fingers down throat)...anyhow their manager left em on a whim, the new guy is doing ok, they have a knack of finding decent players, they sold their best 2....and yet still are doing ok. All from novice managers with no money...don't knock novices for the sake of it.