Tell it straight

Lethargic again first half, which must be a CC tactic. That's fine if you want to take control but when you get done over you have to respond. 

Tbf we did. Threw everything at them and some. Should have took all 3 points really but hey ho there you go. 

Still think play offs are a cert but tonight was the chance to mount a real challenge. 

One last thing.....

Rhodes. 

Ffs play to his strengths. Let's at least get some balls to feet, through the middle. Poor lad must be pulling his hair out. 

2 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

Sasso wasnt to blame for any of the goals yet youd drop him!! Lovens had a mare, hows about giving him s spell on the bench?!

Perhaps and yeah he's been good.

I just think something needs to change, personnel or formafion or tactics. Sasso as done well since coming in. We all know how strong a partnership Lees and Loovens can be. And it will be key getting the spine of the team right. Leeds will be a huge test after a home defeat, hopefully we'll get the right reaction and start the game better.

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

I wish we would create chances for Rhodes, he will score if given chances. 

My biggest concern. 

The times you see him level with the last defender, in a bit of space, begging for a ball through to him. Hoof ball from out wide is not the way to get the best out of him. 

7 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

My biggest concern. 

The times you see him level with the last defender, in a bit of space, begging for a ball through to him. Hoof ball from out wide is not the way to get the best out of him. 

If only we had Lee fit, he imo would be the player that would spot the runs from Rhodes and play the ball through to him. 

Here are my thoughts, we played into Brentfords hands today.

Over the recent weeks we have been going a little more direct into Rhodes and it's not been pretty but it worked, we won games.

That tactic today against Dean and Egan was a bit daft in my opinion, those 2 CBS are physical and strong in the air. Rhodes and FF had no chance.

Its all hindsight but we could have gone with a more traditional 4-4-2 today, 2 direct wide men, with 2 out and out strikers.

That midfield today was neat and tidy, but lacked any directness or pace.

Today was the perfect time to start McManaman and Buckley, 2 pacey and direct wingers.

Get it down, get it wide, get 2 pacey players running at the back 4.

Rhodes and FF making clever little runs in behind, not having a battle with 2 huge CBs all night.

Dean Smith won the tactical battle today, poor from CC (thats the first time I have criticised him).

We need to be able to change our approach, we only had one way of playing last season. It seems we are now stuck with this punt into Rhodes.

Ps. CC and Hutch were making excuses before the game about being tired and not getting the rest Brentford had, same for Leeds on Saturday.

With the squad we have today was the perfect time to freshen things up.

7 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Here are my thoughts, we played into Brentfords hands today.

Over the recent weeks we have been going a little more direct into Rhodes and it's not been pretty but it worked, we won games.

That tactic today against Dean and Egan was a bit daft in my opinion, those 2 CBS are physical and strong in the air. Rhodes and FF had no chance.

Its all hindsight but we could have gone with a more traditional 4-4-2 today, 2 direct wide men, with 2 out and out strikers.

That midfield today was neat and tidy, but lacked any directness or pace.

Today was the perfect time to start McManaman and Buckley, 2 pacey and direct wingers.

Get it down, get it wide, get 2 pacey players running at the back 4.

Rhodes and FF making clever little runs in behind, not having a battle with 2 huge CBs all night.

Dean Smith won the tactical battle today, poor from CC (thats the first time I have criticised him).

We need to be able to change our approach, we only had one way of playing last season. It seems we are now stuck with this punt into Rhodes.

Ps. CC and Hutch were making excuses before the game about being tired and not getting the rest Brentford had, same for Leeds on Saturday.

With the squad we have today was the perfect time to freshen things up.

Good post.

1 hour ago, M Royds said:

Were we bad?

Has this been on the cards for a few matches, Wigan etc?

We have an enviable strike force but they seem flat. Do they need time to gel or is it creativity a problem?

Is Carlos not playing to the strengths of his squad at his disposal?

Take the blue tints off and tell it straight?

If you have to ask people who were there then you can fuckoff making comment on it...telling it straight...no doubt it was good on teletext

And here are my thoughts...

We're all criticising Carlos for:

Not playing our wide midfield players as wingers

Sitting too deep

Launching long balls to Jordan Rhodes

We did all of this in the first half and it was shocking to watch and we went in 2-0 down at HT. So why had be been so cautious? Because that's exactly how we've been playing for the last 2 months or more during which we've picked up more points than almost anyone in the league. THAT'S WHAT'S BEEN WORKING. We've all moaned because it hasn't been pretty but that's the style that has been getting us points.

Yes, we might create more chances with proper wingers or with two strikers and Fessi out wide but we've been grinding out wins by shackling our 'wingers' in the middle of the park. If we played with two wingers, with Hutch sitting so deep that leaves just one central midfield player outnumbered on his own. Instead the 'wingers' beef up the midfield and we become a unit that's hard to break down. Reach with his energy and discipline is great for that role. Bannan should be perfect too but today at least he tended to sit too wide leaving Abdi exposed.

I haven't enjoyed watching it but it has been getting results so who's to argue.

Even in such a dire first half:

Fessi might have had a pen

Abdi had two serious strikes on goal

Rhodes nearly converted Abdi's clever pass

Rhodes hit the bar from Palmer's cross.

ANY OF THOSE COULD HAVE BEEN GOALS

In reply they dominated us with pretty football but didn't really threaten apart from the two set-pieces.

So, even in the dire first half, Plan A could easily have worked.

I'm not advocating Plan A but just trying to understand it. It'll be more of the same against Leeds.

17 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

If you have to ask people who were there then you can fuckoff making comment on it...telling it straight...no doubt it was good on teletext

Another one telling me straight. 

What a complete bed wetter lol

Edited by M Royds

3 minutes ago, savi said:

Bannan

Winger

No.

Why does CC insist on shoe horning players into the side, looks to me like a manager that doesnt know his best team.

He had to start Abdi today, so Bannan was moved to the left.

In my opinion with a 2 man CM we have to play one or the other.

Wallace and Bannan do all their work in front of the defence, this limits our creativity.