Team v Birmingham

Guest RocketOwl
3 minutes ago, thebrap11 said:

Must win game on Friday. All the other teams around us are playing at home aswell and not really troubling fixtures for them either.

The next two home games are massive.

We can make ground n Reading as they have Brighton and Huddersfield away at the end of the month.

And like you say over the next two rounds, every top 6 team have games yow would expect them to win.

Guest RocketOwl
15 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Westwood

Palmer

Lee

Loovens

Fox

McManaman

Bannan

Hutchinson

Reach

Forestieri

Rhodes

Wildsmith

Hunt

Sasso

Jones

Abdi

Wallace

Winnall

I think that is the likely line up with Carlos major decision whether to play Wallace or CM. Think be nice to see CM get a start though as he has the potential to offer what people are saying FF would on the wing, without having to move FF.

5 hours ago, Robdylan said:

You can be sarcastic.

There's simply no comparison between when he plays up front for a number of games, and when he plays wide for a number of games. 

If you go to the games, you must have seen the difference. We create more chances. We have more possession. We score more goals. He scores more goals. We are more threatening with 2 strikers up front, and him wide. Yes, we can still beat sides with him up front. Yes, he can still play well and get the MOM award. Yes, he can still score. But as a whole, neither him or the team are as effective. 

If you're happy with Rhodes being isolated up front, that's up to you. To me, it's a complete waste. 

It's truly baffling how some people want to the see the same starting line up against Birmingham, to what played against Wigan. I must have been watching a different game. 

How  can you attribute things like more possession, more chances etc to the single fact that FF is on the left.

When we move FF left in the second half of games we play different tactics and play a lot further up the pitch. 

When we played Bristol last week we played this way for the first 30 mins with FF up front and guess what, FF scored. Reach and Fox pushed forward down the left at will and got loads of crosses in.

We then gave a stupid pen away and the world changed.

It is mainly down to how positive we choose to be as a team, not who is playing where.

However we do have 5 good strikers and I expect to see FF on the left Both as a change later in games and to start. 

I just hope we pick the right games. Preston away last season with FF starting on the left was a disaster and the end of the experiment as far as Carlos was concerned. He didn't start him there again 

@RocketOwl and @oldishowl

You cite individual matches or two or three to claim we are better when FF plays as twin striker.

Lets look at ALL the 52 matches he has played as twin striker.

He has scored 10 goals and 2 pens in 52. Good enough?

The team has a smidge over one goal per game in 52. Good enough?

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

@RocketOwl and @oldishowl

You cite individual matches or two or three to claim we are better when FF plays as twin striker.

Lets look at ALL the 52 matches he has played as twin striker.

He has scored 10 goals and 2 pens in 52. Good enough?

The team has a smidge over one goal per game in 52. Good enough?

He's played on the left wing at least 8 times this season, scored 1 and assisted 0. 

lol

Considering all his 12 assists for us have been while playing as a forward, if your stats are correct - directly involved in 24 goals out of 52 appearances (and a lot of those appearances won't be a full 90 mins). 

Id say he's more than done his job as a forward. That's without even considering the impact he has in general play. The amount of pressing and pinching the ball he does. The fact that he's consistently top of the list when it comes to tackles by a forward (by a distance!).

Westwood

Palmer Lees Loovens Fox

Abdi Hutch Bannan

Macca Rhodes FF

Macca to drop back to a conventional RM role if required. FF up top but playing on the left giving width as with Macca. The midfield 3 is as good as you get in the league, and I personally think it would suit and assist us to get back to the high pressing game, high tempo of last season. But hey, what do I know!!!

31 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

He's played on the left wing at least 8 times this season, scored 1 and assisted 0. 

lol

Considering all his 12 assists for us have been while playing as a forward, if your stats are correct - directly involved in 24 goals out of 52 appearances (and a lot of those appearances won't be a full 90 mins). 

Id say he's more than done his job as a forward. That's without even considering the impact he has in general play. The amount of pressing and pinching the ball he does. The fact that he's consistently top of the list when it comes to tackles by a forward (by a distance!).

Go on. Which 8?

And you are wrong about his assists btw.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Go on. Which 8?

And you are wrong about his assists btw.

Villa, Burton, Leeds, Brentford, Bristol C, Brum, Forest, Brighton, Derby,, Ipswich. 

Every one of those games he's played for at least some time as a left winger with 2 strikers on. Usually Fletcher and Hooper. 

Carlos stopped shifting him out wide against Fulham. Look at our results since. I rest my case.

Do we seem to operate better as an attacking unit with Forestieri on the left. 

Course we do.

But why is this, maybe because every time we use him as a left winger. We have decided to take the game to the opponent so obviously it's going to look like he is more effective from there than as a forward.

Be interesting to see games at home and away when he has started on the left and see how many we scored and conceded as I think the reason Carlos don't do it week in week out is that it opens us up defensively.

53 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Villa, Burton, Leeds, Brentford, Bristol C, Brum, Forest, Brighton, Derby,, Ipswich. 

Every one of those games he's played for at least some time as a left winger with 2 strikers on. Usually Fletcher and Hooper. 

Carlos stopped shifting him out wide against Fulham. Look at our results since. I rest my case.

Interesting.

Villa - nil nil when he went left for 23 mins. Win one-nil.

Burton - 12 mins on left

Leeds - half a game. Lost 2-0 both goals that half*

Bristol C - 17 mins on left. We scored, they didn't.

Brum - 25 mins on left. We scored but then two late goals

Forest - full match left. Won 2-1

Brighton - 32 minutes left, during which time we scored, they didn't.

Derby - 9 minutes on left

Ipswich - 24 minutes. No goals either way

277 minutes on the left. The equivalent of THREE games.

We scored six goals in that time. That's two per game, or double what we get when he plays striker.

Exactly like last season. One goal per game when he is striker. Two per game when he plays left.

The team is crying out for his goals from the left AND the goals of two front strikers.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Do we seem to operate better as an attacking unit with Forestieri on the left. 

Course we do.

But why is this, maybe because every time we use him as a left winger. We have decided to take the game to the opponent so obviously it's going to look like he is more effective from there than as a forward.

Be interesting to see games at home and away when he has started on the left and see how many we scored and conceded as I think the reason Carlos don't do it week in week out is that it opens us up defensively.

Last season

P9 W7 D1 L1 GF22 GA5

I thinks it's more to do with the fact that we have decided to go for it in them games though.

But I do expect us to use Forestieri on the left for the majority of our home games now Rhodes has come in.

However Carlos will take it game by game and see if 3 forwards in the team is right for the opponent we are playing. Rather then use it all the time.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I thinks it's more to do with the fact that we have decided to go for it in them games though.

But I do expect us to use Forestieri on the left for the majority of our home games now Rhodes has come in.

However Carlos will take it game by game and see if 3 forwards in the team is right for the opponent we are playing. Rather then use it all the time.

It is absolutely totally to do with tactics but that doesn't suit the "stats" brigade as they would have to understand a bit more about what is going on. We had thread after thread on here last season about how we sat back first half, kept men behind the ball and never pushed forward to support our strikers . Home and away. But they still reckon the problem was FF playing up front . 

I watched us play a great 30 mins with FF up front at Bristol. We attacked , pushed Reach up on the left with Fox bombing on , gave FF some support as a striker and lo and behold he scored and we gave a great performance until the defence , as usual this season, dropped a clanger.