Team v Birmingham

On 04/02/2017 at 14:50, Think tank said:

I think their defensive abilities are part of our problem. We don't need two sitting wingers, we need to make teams worry about us more. 

We don't have sitting wingers, we have wingers who put a very good shift in defensively. 

Often our wingers end up roaming in field when we have the ball which creates space for our full backs to exploit, that's just how we play.

What's weird to me is we are very reliant on our full backs in the way we play, and those positions are our weakest in the side. 

Not for the want of trying I'm not a Carlos devotee but I'm desperate to be proved wrong. After the Wigan match he said that this is the start of the season and I hope that's code for 'release the hounds.

Westwood

Hunt - Lees - Loovens - Fox

Hutch

Wallace - Abdi - Forestieri

Rhodes - Winnall

On 4 February 2017 at 12:28, Holmowl said:

IMO because in a team woefully short on goals, you can't possibly drop a player who is on a scoring run.

Dont know about you but when I played I was never prolific, but when I scored I generally scored over the next few matches. There are many players who do likewise. Wallace is in such a run and needs to keep at it.

CM looks really decent and will get a chance at some point, whether it be left or right.

I respect the fact that he's on a scoring run, and again, I'm a fan of his. But when you've got a £10m striker isolated up front, something needs to change. We only had one shot on target against Wigan. If he's in the team, I'd like to see him either in the middle, or on the left. If he was on the left, he could put Brunt type crosses in early, so he wouldn't have to beat a man. When he's on the right, most of his crosses are ineffective because he has to slow things down by cutting inside and crossing from deep.

On 4 February 2017 at 13:47, Owls2k said:

I'm aware that I'm entitled to my opinion, but thanks for reminding me. 

The defensive capabilities of Wallace and Reach is one of the reasons they still get the nod when they're not playing at their best. And now Wallace is impacting games like he was last year I doubt Carlos will be dropping him and rightly so. 

There is of course a fair argument that Carlos is being far too defensive minded this season. But understanding his thought process it's easy to understand why he's setting us up like this.  

There's more than a fair argument to say that Carlos is being too defensive minded.

It's okay saying Wallace deserves to keep his place, but do we really want to see a £10m striker struggle up front with zero service, just hoping that the likes of Wallace chips in with another goal? 

What do you think about trying Wallace on the left? 

7 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

There's more than a fair argument to say that Carlos is being too defensive minded.

It's okay saying Wallace deserves to keep his place, but do we really want to see a £10m striker struggle up front with zero service, just hoping that the likes of Wallace chips in with another goal? 

What do you think about trying Wallace on the left? 

I agree. This business of cutting in from the right makes the defenders' job much easier because of the angle that the cross comes in at. If he cuts in and has a direct shot on goal, that is more dangerous, but his crosses from the left would be much more difficult to defend.

However, I'd go with Mcmanaman right and Fessi left, with Rhodes and Winnall up front.

In centre midfield I'd give Abdi a chance alongside Hutchinson.

No doubt Carlos has his own ideas though.

59 minutes ago, Halifax Owls said:

Not for the want of trying I'm not a Carlos devotee but I'm desperate to be proved wrong. After the Wigan match he said that this is the start of the season and I hope that's code for 'release the hounds.

Westwood

Hunt - Lees - Loovens - Fox

Hutch

Wallace - Abdi - Forestieri

Rhodes - Winnall

WTF is that?

4-1-3-2

Have you ever seen that played?

Probably a line up that's been suggested before, but this one is one that Carlos will be playing on Friday without an doubt...

Westwood

Hunt

lees (sasso if not fit)

loovens

fox (pudil if not fit)

wallace

hutch

bannan

reach

FF

rhodes

Be amazed if it's any different to this. I would definitely put FF left and bring Winnall in next to Rhodes.

On 4 February 2017 at 15:13, RocketOwl said:

But they didnt and wallace did. Three times in the last 4 games now.

It's Carlos tactics. It doe snot matter who plays on the wing, they are asked to cut inside, leaving space for the fullbacks.

They're awful tactics, especially as Pudil and Hunt are poor at crossing, and there's only one striker to aim for. 

On 4 February 2017 at 15:19, Southie_Owl said:

I wonder if Sasso keeps a few clean sheets whether people will say he should keep his place instead of Lees.

Similarly keeping players in the team only because they scored in previous games shouldn't be the only reason, it should be about creating the best team dynamic to win as comfortably as possible. Wallace might score a goal, but what if starting McManaman means he will create 2-3 chances for Rhodes to score? 

Hopefully those picking wallace in their team aren't just doing it because he scored in previous games and because he contributes to the team 

An outstanding post.

People need to see the bigger picture.

4 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Hopefully not too much will change and we carry on winning.

But....

Hutchinson in for Jones. Better defensive cover. Better distribution. Generally, just quicker. Other than a great game at Brentford (before getting sent off) Jones has seemed ponderous to me. Too slow, too cautious.

Fox for Pudil. I didn't see Bristol game, but some reports said Fox had a decent game and got some crosses over. He must be a step up on Pudil who seems to be struggling every game. The fullbacks, Fox and Palmer/Hunt are key to our game. We need fullbacks with energy and running. I don't see that in Pudil. But we also need midfielders that cover the fullbacks: Wallace/Reach do a much better job than McManaman and Forestieri.

Hutch and Fox back in should help speed up our game, even if just a fraction, to create more for Rhodes.

Id like to see CM and AA get more game time, but neither have suggested they're better than what I've suggested (which is what I think Carlos will go for). I can't see a decent argument for bringing CM in instead of Wallace (goals and better defensively) or Reach (offers versatility for in game changes). Similarly, how can AA replace Bannan? Didn't he have a big input to both goals at Bristol? Perhaps with Hutch back, there's a case to put a more forward centre mid in (Keiran Lee if fit), but for me, Abdi would be a risk that we get over run in midfield. 

Only other change i would consider to make us more attacking would be Hooper/Winnall for Forestieri. And then maybe FF for Reach, but I've already said why I think we should persevere with Reach.

All just my opinion of course.

After drawing against Bristol and only having one shot on target against Wigan, I want to see drastic changes in our set up. It's okay being pleased with us taking the 3 points, but what's going to happen if he persists with these current tactics and we carry them on into the play offs? That's very worrying. 

I agree with you about AA not coming straight into the team, but I think Rhodes has to have an actual strike partner. I love Fernando, but he's not a striker. He needs to be wide, so he has more time on the ball, with more space to run in to. I would even consider having Fernando on the right, with Wallace on the left. Because at least then you could almost guarantee quality crosses going into the box for 2 strikers to attack. 

You've made some great points, and again, I respect your opinion. But I don't want to see us just scraping by. I want us playing free flowing football with confidence. Carlos needs to relax and take off the shackles. 

Edited by Robdylan

16 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

After drawing against Bristol and only having one shot on target against Wigan, I want to see drastic changes in our set up. It's okay being pleased with us taking the 3 points, but what's going to happen if he persists with these current tactics and we carry them on into the play offs? That's very worrying. 

I agree with you about AA not coming straight into the team, but I think Rhodes has to have an actual strike partner. I love Fernando, but he's not a striker. He needs to be wide, so he has more time on the ball, with more space to run in to. I would even consider having Fernando on the right, with Wallace on the left. Because at least then you could almost guarantee quality crosses going into the box for 2 strikers to attack. 

You've made some great points, and again, I respect your opinion. But I don't want to see us just scraping by. I want us playing free flowing football with confidence. Carlos needs to relax and take off the shackles. 

100% agree about FF.

Not only do Wallace and Reach not create anywhere near enough as wingers, but Carlos's insistence on playing them there means we are also wasting FFs talents  by putting him up front. He is a total bit part player there. Everyone knows he is much more dangerous out wide and creates more for himself and the team. 

30 minutes ago, Think tank said:

100% agree about FF.

Not only do Wallace and Reach not create anywhere near enough as wingers, but Carlos's insistence on playing them there means we are also wasting FFs talents  by putting him up front. He is a total bit part player there. Everyone knows he is much more dangerous out wide and creates more for himself and the team. 

It's truly baffling how Carlos can't see this. 

I understand that he likes the full backs to attack, but our full backs aren't great crosses of the ball, and they've only got one real striker to aim for. 

He's got to change his tactics.

Edited by Robdylan

53 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

It's truly baffling how Carlos can't see this. 

I understand that he likes the full backs to attack, but our full backs aren't great crosses of the ball, and they've only got one real striker to aim for. 

He's got to change his tactics.

Carlos is a student of football and there's no way that he won't have seen this. I feel that Forestieri doesn't want to start as a left midfielder and I don't think we'll see it again. However on the left side behind a striker in a 4-2-3-1 would still be great for Forestieri to get space and to cut inside, and I think he wouldn't complain about being there either. It's a surprise that at a time when most teams are playing

4-2-3-1 that Carlos has never started with this formation. There must be something about it that he doesn't like that other managers do