Team v Birmingham

7 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

With regards to your comment on Carlos - Does it baffle you he got us to a playoff final, currently 6th despite the notorious playoff hangover and has one of the best win percentages ever.

With regards to Fernando. He sees himself as a striker. No striker likes being played on the wing.

Carlos did a great job last year. But we've spent millions since, and we are now struggling to beat the likes of Bristol and Wigan. 

Fernando isn't a striker. He's never been a striker. It clearly benefits the team as a whole when he plays wide.

I'd like to see this. One of Bannan, Wallace & Fernando could drift out wide when we break. 

If we are dominating possession both Fox & Hunt push on with Hutch sitting to make a 3 at the back.

I have Wallace in purely because he's got the goals lately & CC won't drop him. But I'd be happy to have Abdi or Reach in his place as I think they'd offer more physicality.

IMG_5515.JPG

2 hours ago, Stainless1983 said:

I'd like to see this. One of Bannan, Wallace & Fernando could drift out wide when we break. 

If we are dominating possession both Fox & Hunt push on with Hutch sitting to make a 3 at the back.

I have Wallace in purely because he's got the goals lately & CC won't drop him. But I'd be happy to have Abdi or Reach in his place as I think they'd offer more physicality.

IMG_5515.JPG

Reach for Fox or Wallace and that's what I would go with.

4 hours ago, oldishowl said:

i think we might see Rhodes not suffering from any of Carlos 's normal rotation.

He already broke with tradition by starting him first game after he signed, then left him on for the full 90 . 

Can't see him being left out very much

Course he won't be rotated. We are not talking about an average player here. We are talking about the greatest ever championship goal scorer.

Best player we have had in the last 16 years.

Guest RocketOwl
8 hours ago, Robdylan said:

Carlos did a great job last year. But we've spent millions since, and we are now struggling to beat the likes of Bristol and Wigan. 

Fernando isn't a striker. He's never been a striker. It clearly benefits the team as a whole when he plays wide.

Did Fernando play upfront away at Fulham, Wolves and Huddersfield?? MOM in each game and scoring in each?? Must have missed that.

Carlos spending millions is irrelevant, so have Villa and look at them.

10 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Did Fernando play upfront away at Fulham, Wolves and Huddersfield?? MOM in each game and scoring in each?? Must have missed that.

Get with it mate.

It's all FF's fault. 

Never been a striker

Of course our "proper" strikers are sat on their backsides while he has been working his socks off on the pitch

28 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

You can be sarcastic.

There's simply no comparison between when he plays up front for a number of games, and when he plays wide for a number of games. 

If you go to the games, you must have seen the difference. We create more chances. We have more possession. We score more goals. He scores more goals. We are more threatening with 2 strikers up front, and him wide. Yes, we can still beat sides with him up front. Yes, he can still play well and get the MOM award. Yes, he can still score. But as a whole, neither him or the team are as effective. 

If you're happy with Rhodes being isolated up front, that's up to you. To me, it's a complete waste. 

It's truly baffling how some people want to the see the same starting line up against Birmingham, to what played against Wigan. I must have been watching a different game. 

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, Robdylan said:

You can be sarcastic.

There's simply no comparison between when he plays up front for a number of games, and when he plays wide for a number of games. 

If you go to the games, you must have seen the difference. We create more chances. We have more possession. We score more goals. He scores more goals. We are more threatening with 2 strikers up front, and him wide. Yes, we can still beat sides with him up front. Yes, he can still play well and get the MOM award. Yes, he can still score. But as a whole, neither him or the team are as effective. 

If you're happy with Rhodes being isolated up front, that's up to you. To me, it's a complete waste. 

It's truly baffling how some people want to the see the same starting line up against Birmingham, to what played against Wigan. I must have been watching a different game. 

I have a season ticket. 

Fernando is our best striker. He is the only striker who has any iota of pace and trickery. 

I have seen him play left wing at home to Ipswich for one example, where he was awful and not on the ball. I saw him moved to left wing away at Birmingham where our best player spent most of the game tracking their right winger. You cannot ignore the games he has played upfront that I mentioned - no other striker has got near to performances like that.

Why put him out of position on the wing just to accommodate a striker who isnt as good, when we have plenty of wingers. Why would Rhodes be isolated when Fernando would be up top?

Fernando has a few good games out on the left last season, during the second half.

This is the only time Fernando on the left works, when we are chasing a game and need to put another striker on.

To start games No.

• 23 O'Donnell 
  • 02 Buxton 
  • 03 Bennett
  • 04 Batth 
  • 05 R Jones
  • 06 Semedo 
  • 07 Prutton 
  • 12 Palmer 
  • 10 Marshall 
  • 14 Madine 
  • 19 Morrison

People moaned less when this team stepped out! :ghoulguy:

A few players in that team that some still want now - Marshall, Batth

1 hour ago, RocketOwl said:

I have a season ticket. 

Fernando is our best striker. He is the only striker who has any iota of pace and trickery. 

I have seen him play left wing at home to Ipswich for one example, where he was awful and not on the ball. I saw him moved to left wing away at Birmingham where our best player spent most of the game tracking their right winger. You cannot ignore the games he has played upfront that I mentioned - no other striker has got near to performances like that.

Why put him out of position on the wing just to accommodate a striker who isnt as good, when we have plenty of wingers. Why would Rhodes be isolated when Fernando would be up top?

Fernando has a few good games out on the left last season, during the second half.

This is the only time Fernando on the left works, when we are chasing a game and need to put another striker on.

To start games No.

For me the debate isn't whether he is better up front or on the wing, it's whether he's better than the winger or striker who's shirt he's taking. 

We have an abundance of talent in terms of strikers. We have pretty average wingers. I therefore want to see him on the wing with another striker coming in to partner Rhodes. As for the winger he'd replace (Reach) I'd drop him in at wing back where we've been atrocious all season. 

2 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

I have a season ticket. 

To start games No.

He isn't our best striker.

We have signed Rhodes who is a proven goal scorer in this league. He's one of the best strikers in the Championship. 

Gary Hooper is one of the best finishes in the Championship.

Sam Winnall is also a proven scorer at this level, and he's played some great football over the past 12 months.

Fernando is great, but he's not an out and out striker. He doesn't attack many crosses. He's not great in the air. 

He didn't only have a few good games out wide last season. That's nonsense. We played some great football last year with him out wide. We created a lot more chances and looked a lot more threatening. 

Why put him on the wing to accommodate other strikers who aren't as good? Because again: 

1. He has proven to be very effective on the wing over a number of games.

2. The other strikers have scored a lot more goals in their careers. 

Yes, we have plenty of wingers. But Carlos only starts 2 of them, and they play too narrow. 

Why would Rhodes be isolated up top?

Did you not see the Wigan game?

Did you not see the Brighton game where Winnall was isolated?

Most of our attacks are easy to defend against.

There's no service.

Whoever plays up front with Fernando ends up feeding off of scraps. There's hardly any crosses to attack, and they've got 2 defenders to contend with. 

Why have Hooper and Winnall on the bench with Fernando up front, when we can play him wide, and give Rhodes a proven Championship partner?

The current tactics are poor. We are are relying on 2 FB's who aren't great at crossing, whilst Wallace slows play down to come inside, and Reach is floating about somewhere being ineffective for large parts.

Now we have 3 great strikers at the club, we don't need to rely on Fernando as much up front. Play him wide, or in a free role, where he has more freedom. 

Edited by Robdylan

Guest RocketOwl
9 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

He isn't our best striker.

We have signed Rhodes who is a proven goal scorer in this league. He's one of the best strikers in the Championship. 

Gary Hooper is one of the best finishes in the Championship.

Sam Winnall is also a proven scorer at this level, and he's played some great football over the past 12 months.

Fernando is great, but he's not an out and out striker. He doesn't attack many crosses. He's not great in the air. 

He didn't only have a few good games out wide last season. That's nonsense. We played some great football last year with him out wide. We created a lot more chances and looked a lot more threatening. 

Why put him on the wing to accommodate other strikers who aren't as good? Because again: 

1. He has proven to be very effective on the wing over a number of games.

2. The other strikers have scored a lot more goals in their careers. 

Yes, we have plenty of wingers. But Carlos only starts 2 of them, and they play too narrow. 

Why would Rhodes be isolated up top?

Did you not see the Wigan game?

Did you not see the Brighton game where Winnall was isolated?

Most of our attacks are easy to defend against.

There's no service.

Whoever plays up front with Fernando ends up feeding off of scraps. There's hardly any crosses to attack, and they've got 2 defenders to contend with. 

Why have Hooper and Winnall on the bench with Fernando up front, when we can play him wide, and give Rhodes a proven Championship partner?

The current tactics are poor. We are are relying on 2 FB's who aren't great at crossing, whilst Wallace slows play down to come inside, and Reach is floating about somewhere being ineffective for large parts.

Now we have 3 great strikers at the club, we don't need to rely on Fernando as much up front. Play him wide, or in a free role, where he has more freedom. 

I am pretty sure if you dig a statistic out, Fernando played the majority of his games upfront last season.

Away from home he has to start upfront and that has been regularly proven with our results.

At home there is an argument to play him on the left, so that we are more attacking. I think one of the major reasons he hasn't so far is because of how poor Pudil has been. Last season Pudil was able to control the whole of the left side, allowing Fernando freedom. If he was to play left at home on Friday then surely Reach needs to be left back as he has the athleticism to hold his own down the left flank.

Away from home and especially against top 6 teams, you cannot play him on the left - because he will spend the majority of the game out of the game tracking back.

He is excellent upfront away from home as the games i mentioned have shown. Away at Wolves he was unbelievable.

Winnall is not proven at this level btw, unless 11 goals in half a season is proven??