Team v Birmingham

Guest domSWFC

Given how poor our fullbacks were at Wigan, there is no point us playing any. 

---------------- Westwood -------------

---- Sasso - Loovens - Lees ----

------------- Hutch - Jones -----------

Wallace ------ Abdi ----- Forestieri 

---------- Rhodes - Winnall -----------

On 4 February 2017 at 12:28, Tamworthowl said:

I've been suggesting McManaman get more than 10 minutes. He got over 30 yesterday and did (almost) nothing. 

Reach is a bit marmite. I'm disappointed, but many think he's putting in MoM performances. But he does offer flexibility which allows the team to change formation. He's a good player to have on the pitch.

For me, a return for Lees, Hutchinson and Fox.

Id like to see Winnall and Rhodes up front, or with FF in a front three, but I expect FF and Rhodes.

I'd like Abdi to get some game time, but in the little I've seen of him he is just so average. Comfortable on the ball, but "safe" passes. No drive and none of the chance creating passes I expected when we signed him. Bannan has his faults, but he does drive forward and create chances for the forwards.

Westwood

Palmer, Lees, Loovens, Fox

Wallace, Hutchinson, Bannan, Reach

Rhodes, Forestieri.

I respect your opinion. But what's going to change playing your team?

Yes, CM did nothing against Wigan. But he needs a good run out, on the opposite wing. 

39 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

I respect your opinion. But what's going to change playing your team?

Yes, CM did nothing against Wigan. But he needs a good run out, on the opposite wing. 

Hopefully not too much will change and we carry on winning.

But....

Hutchinson in for Jones. Better defensive cover. Better distribution. Generally, just quicker. Other than a great game at Brentford (before getting sent off) Jones has seemed ponderous to me. Too slow, too cautious.

Fox for Pudil. I didn't see Bristol game, but some reports said Fox had a decent game and got some crosses over. He must be a step up on Pudil who seems to be struggling every game. The fullbacks, Fox and Palmer/Hunt are key to our game. We need fullbacks with energy and running. I don't see that in Pudil. But we also need midfielders that cover the fullbacks: Wallace/Reach do a much better job than McManaman and Forestieri.

Hutch and Fox back in should help speed up our game, even if just a fraction, to create more for Rhodes.

Id like to see CM and AA get more game time, but neither have suggested they're better than what I've suggested (which is what I think Carlos will go for). I can't see a decent argument for bringing CM in instead of Wallace (goals and better defensively) or Reach (offers versatility for in game changes). Similarly, how can AA replace Bannan? Didn't he have a big input to both goals at Bristol? Perhaps with Hutch back, there's a case to put a more forward centre mid in (Keiran Lee if fit), but for me, Abdi would be a risk that we get over run in midfield. 

Only other change i would consider to make us more attacking would be Hooper/Winnall for Forestieri. And then maybe FF for Reach, but I've already said why I think we should persevere with Reach.

All just my opinion of course.

Westwood 

Palmer

Loovens 

Lees

Fox

Bannan

Hutchinson 

Abdi

Reach

Winnall 

Forestieri 

Start Rhodes on the bench, he's a little rusty but a couple of 30 mins from the bench might do him good.

Gone for Abdi, with Hutchinson doing the screening role I'd be interested to see whether he and Bannan can get forward to create some supply. FF and Reach pushing forward and allowing Winnall to wander round the box. Hutch often pushes the team shape into a 3-4-3/3-5-2, so having players that can get forward and deliver is key.

All quite irrelevant because CC will probably stick with a 4-4-2 formation.  Saying that, I would like to see us line up 4-1-3-2 at home and 4-2-3-1 away.  We have played 4-2-3-1 previously so its not like we are totally unused to it.  I'd go with;

Westwood

Lees           Loovens         

Palmer                                                        Fox

Hutchinson

Wallace                Abdi             Forestieri

Hooper

Rhodes

If Hooper isn't fit, then Forestieri to partner Rhodes and Bannan in to the left of the 3. 

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Think Fletcher will be lucky to make the bench these days, decent player but doesn't suit us at all

Certainly doesn't suit the style of play just now. If we played with more threat on the wings, he could probably develop a promising partnership with Rhodes. I'd rather give Winnall a go first though. 

7 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Think Fletcher will be lucky to make the bench these days, decent player but doesn't suit us at all

Reason why I say fletcher is how often did we see Rhodes head it down for someone against Wigan? Our goal for example. 10m for a proven goalscorer at this level. I think he's better having the ball nodded down to him. Think that's one of fletcher's strengths. 

Just now, mr moody said:

Reason why I say fletcher is how often did we see Rhodes head it down for someone against Wigan? Our goal for example. 10m for a proven goalscorer at this level. I think he's better having the ball nodded down to him. Think that's one of fletcher's strengths. 

Suppose winnall could do the same but IMO I think fletcher and Rhodes would work. 

What is our style of play these days?

we tippy tippy it about between defence & the deep laying CM's before launching up front. I'd say someone with fletchers heading ability would suit that style of play if we're going to persist with it....

if & when we return to our high tempo/high work rate & fast flowing football then it may be different...

I have absolutely no idea. If you look at a lot of the other teams in the top six they pretty much have a nailed on first 11 with an odd change or two here or there.

The fact that we change continually may be our undoing come the end of the season. Carlos needs to start picking a side and sticking to it so that we can get some continuity going into the final period of the season.

3 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

I have absolutely no idea. If you look at a lot of the other teams in the top six they pretty much have a nailed on first 11 with an odd change or two here or there.

The fact that we change continually may be our undoing come the end of the season. Carlos needs to start picking a side and sticking to it so that we can get some continuity going into the final period of the season.

The ones he does stick with are the problem though. Our midfield is so passive.

28 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Our record with him and Hooper in tandem was good. Rhodes-Fletch seems tailor-made to me, though a Hooper-Rhodes duo would be mouth-watering if it works, which I doubt.

Edited by Holmowl

Its time for this:

.......................................Keiren Westwood

Jack Hunt...............Tom Lees.............Glenn Loovens.............Adam Reach

...............................Barry Bannan.......Sam Hutchinson

...........Ross Wallace............Almen Abdi...........Fernando Forestieri

..........................................Jordan Rhodes

Wildsmith, Palmer, Sasso, Jones, McManaman, Winnall, Hooper.

It just makes sense.

9 hours ago, camffiti said:

As our game control / possession and byline play have both been poor

..........................Westwood

...................Lees (if fit) Loovens

............Hutch.......Abdi (if fit).......Bannan

..........Winnall........Rhodes......Forrestieri

Hunt...........................................................Fox

Sasso & Semedo in, if others aren't fit

The drugs don't work mate..  With a bit of luck you'll feel better in the morning! 

If you going with Fox-hunt(ing) up front,  then personally I think  it should still be banned. 

Edited by owls-swfc