Fox

Mcmanaman

Hutchinson

Abdi

FF

Rhodes

Winnall

It SHOULD be this team , but we all know it WONT be, 

I wonder if Sasso keeps a few clean sheets whether people will say he should keep his place instead of Lees.

Similarly keeping players in the team only because they scored in previous games shouldn't be the only reason, it should be about creating the best team dynamic to win as comfortably as possible. Wallace might score a goal, but what if starting McManaman means he will create 2-3 chances for Rhodes to score? 

Hopefully those picking wallace in their team aren't just doing it because he scored in previous games and because he contributes to the team 

7 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I wonder if Sasso keeps a few clean sheets whether people will say he should keep his place instead of Lees.

Similarly keeping players in the team only because they scored in previous games shouldn't be the only reason, it should be about creating the best team dynamic to win as comfortably as possible. Wallace might score a goal, but what if starting McManaman means he will create 2-3 chances for Rhodes to score? 

Hopefully those picking wallace in their team aren't just doing it because he scored in previous games and because he contributes to the team 

Spot on mate!

15 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

To be honest  although Sasso looked nervous last night if he had a few more games and did well I would consider keeping him in.

Lees has not been as good recently and was our worst player at Bristol. 

You have to reward players for doing well otherwise the whole thing goes to pot 

35 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

To be honest  although Sasso looked nervous last night if he had a few more games and did well I would consider keeping him in.

Lees has not been as good recently and was our worst player at Bristol. 

You have to reward players for doing well otherwise the whole thing goes to pot 

I thought he was nervous to start with ,but settled down and was solid .

The more the season goes on the less I think Bannan is the right person in midfield.

Great in patches but just not strong enough or able to impose himself enough in games - probably why he struggled at other clubs at a higher level.

Really think Abdi needs a run out alongside Jones or Hutch - at least give it a go.

Id also start Fletcher with Rhodes up front. 

Something has to change after yesterday -  CC needs to stop being so stubborn..we won't get away with a performance like that against better sides. 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

I do wonder if Carlos will change things after last night.

He was giving vibes of we are going to start producing better from now until the end of the season. 'You will see better performances' or words to that effect. Maybe he realises things aren't acceptable as they are. 

9 hours ago, Liamswfc92 said:

Westwood

-

Palmer/Hunt 

Lees

Loovens

Fox

-

Wallace

Bannan

Hutch

Forestieri

-

Rhodes

Winnall

This for me with - Wildsmith, Sasso, Hunt/Palmer, Reach, Abdi, Mcmanaman, Hooper/Nuhiu on bench so if not working we can switch to 2 Wingers to get crosses whipped in.

On 04/02/2017 at 00:07, Think tank said:

Westwood

Palmer ( neither choice is appealing)

Lees

Loovens

Fox

Mcmanaman

Hutchinson

Abdi

FF

Rhodes

Winnall

Exactly how I would like to see us set up for the Brum match. Palmer is worth his place, and you are right to leave out Wallace despite his recent vital goals - for the most part he is ineffectual. Abdi needs to be given a chance. Probably want Fletcher back after suspension, though.

Wwood

Palmer lees loovy fox

Macca bannan hutch reach

Fessi - needs to fill that massive gap to link mid/att

rhodes

Poss subs, Winnall for fox/reach n fessi switched left, abdi for a cb n hutch to cb, wallace for reach.

Cant see how macca a prem winger wouldnt offer more of whats needed on right when match fit, wallace better at slowing it down/keeping ball etc later on imo, 2 assists this season despite taking set pieces is not enough to supply strikers for promotion.

Edited by Ash77

12 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Wwood

Palmer lees loovy fox

Macca bannan hutch reach

Fessi - needs to fill that massive gap to link mid/att

rhodes

Poss subs, Winnall for fox/reach n fessi switched left, abdi for a cb n hutch to cb, wallace for reach.

Cant see how macca a prem winger wouldnt offer more of whats needed on right when match fit, wallace better at slowing it down/keeping ball etc later on imo, 2 assists this season despite taking set pieces is not enough to supply strikers for promotion.

Macca and Wallace don't have vastly different experience at Premier level.

Macca 

12 matches 15/16

8 matches 14/15

Wallace 

15 matches 14/15

They both played a few more, but several seasons ago.

And as for playing Rhodes as lone-striker.....!!! Disasterous waste if we do that.

On 04/02/2017 at 00:07, Think tank said:

Westwood

Palmer ( neither choice is appealing)

Lees

Loovens

Fox

Mcmanaman

Hutchinson

Abdi

FF

Rhodes

Winnall

I'd love to see this team given a go on Friday, but I'd settle for Forestieri being moved to the left and any one of Winnall, Fletcher or Hooper played alongside Rhodes. It's vital that we get more physical presence up front so we can get a foothold further up the pitch. Forestieri really doesn't offer enough up against a strong CB. He needs to be running at and committing defenders, not playing with his back to goal. Rhodes would also benefit if he isn't seen as the only physical striker able to compete in the air.

As well as Bannan has been playing, I think Abdi would offer a bit more defensive protection than Bannan. A stronger centre mid pairing of Hutchinson and Abdi would offer us a bit more freedom to play 2 attack minded wingers in Forestieri and McManaman. Both of whom will also do their fair share of tracking back.  McManaman or Wallace is a tough choice, particularly as Wallace is in goal scoring form. Mcmanaman is my preferred option though because I think he's more capable of pinning back their full back with his direct play (or threat of). Either way these are two great options to be able to rotate.

Like some have said, Bannan is playing from very deep a lot of the time and trying to ping the ball 30-40 yards. If that ball is successful it's often not backed up by our midfield because they're starting only just a little bit further forward than Bannan. It's a trap we've fallen into this season and it's symptomatic of our more pedestrian football this season. I think this is down to personnel and some instruction from Carlos because Bannan wasn't playing this deep last season. If one of our centre mids is going to play slightly deeper I'd prefer it to be Hutchinson as he can offer more of a protective wall for the defence than Bannan can if we lose possession.

We definitely have the squad this season (with the exception of good CB cover). Carlos has the tools. Hopefully he makes the few tweaks needed to get us firing on all cylinders!

As our game control / possession and byline play have both been poor

..........................Westwood

...................Lees (if fit) Loovens

............Hutch.......Abdi (if fit).......Bannan

..........Winnall........Rhodes......Forrestieri

Hunt...........................................................Fox

Sasso & Semedo in, if others aren't fit