£10 million! Who else could we have got for that?

5 hours ago, nile said:

if it was £10million, its the best £10million we have ever spent, a striker that scores for fun costs money, any club going for promotion needs a 20+ a season striker, we now actually have one, i couldn't give a roger who else we could sign for that price, suppose we could have signed another centre back and won promotion with 0.0 draws.

This!

Only Wednesday fans could find a reason to moan about getting a player like Rhodes.

I could believe that the fee is 10 million with non-consequential add ons (who the feck cares if we have to give another four million if we get promoted?). I think the figure being banded about of 6 million with add ons is probably closer to the truth and to get a 26 year old player who has averaged substantially better than a goal every other game for a period of five seasons is an absolute steal in the current market.

Wickham may have been up there in his brief loan spell in terms of scoring rate but I can't remember another guy since the days of Hirsty and Warhurst that come anywhere close to the scoring rate that Rhodes achieves season after season.

man, how can anyone be disappointed by this deal? :duntmatter:

13 hours ago, M Royds said:

It's shît load of money CC will pay for a player who a good championship player. 

However, it begs the question, who else could we got for such an astonishing amount of money. 

Is this in English?

11 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Okay, who did we sign in the summer who has come in and performed to a high standard? Nobody.

We've signed mediocre players for an inflated price, they might prove themselves later down the line but we need players that can come in and perform straight away. Compared to the impact singings have made to other teams, Fletcher, Reach, Abdi and Buckley have had almost no impact on our performances this season, we're just about equal to how we were this time last season, only we've spent considerably more money. 

Again in my opinion, a strike force of FF/Hooper/Fletcher/Winnall is good enough to get us promoted, we're just lacking the right formation/players behind them so therefore limiting their effectiveness.

How long are we going to keep saying the prices were inflated. This is modern day football and unfortunately average footballers cost millions. We as fans are just miles behind. 

5 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

This!

Only Wednesday fans could find a reason to moan about getting a player like Rhodes.

I could believe that the fee is 10 million with non-consequential add ons (who the feck cares if we have to give another four million if we get promoted?). I think the figure being banded about of 6 million with add ons is probably closer to the truth and to get a 26 year old player who has averaged substantially better than a goal every other game for a period of five seasons is an absolute steal in the current market.

Wickham may have been up there in his brief loan spell in terms of scoring rate but I can't remember another guy since the days of Hirsty and Warhurst that come anywhere close to the scoring rate that Rhodes achieves season after season.

I am not sure anyone is disappointed or moaning by JR coming, what people are saying (and rightly so) is without service he isn't going to be the messiah people are thinking he is and it is that service that needed looking at first, hopefully a change of tactics will resolve that and its goal city here we come.

He is an astonishing player for the club but you watch how quick people start with the "he's lazy" and all that crap IF he doesn't get the service he deserves and doesn't bang in 25 in the first 7 weeks.

2 minutes ago, UTO1867 said:

I am not sure anyone is disappointed or moaning by JR coming, what people are saying (and rightly so) is without service he isn't going to be the messiah people are thinking he is and it is that service that needed looking at first, hopefully a change of tactics will resolve that and its goal city here we come.

He is an astonishing player for the club but you watch how quick people start with the "he's lazy" and all that crap IF he doesn't get the service he deserves and doesn't bang in 25 in the first 7 weeks.

Rhodes is the type of player that the fan base have dreamed about for almost a generation and he was available at seemingly (by current standards at least) a reasonable fee if 6 million plus add ons is ball park. Get him then worry about adapting to his strengths.

Absolutely no one. This is a brilliant signing by any stretch. Players I've never heard of are changing hands for way more. This guy will become a hero here.

as for a new west stand? We've been down that road before, team before stadium.

and those moaning about our scouting networks, have you seen the quality coming through our academy at the moment?

6 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

This!

Some people are never happy.  Particularly those who have never stood on a freezingly cold wet cop on a winter's night and watched absolute dross struggle to avoid relegation to the Fourth Division.

They really don't know how fortunate they are.  If we don't achieve promotion this season, and I sincerely hope we do, we are heading in the right direction for the first time in almost twenty years.  Show a little patience, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Our recruitment policy has been nothing short of appalling.  Are you telling me we could not have spent £20m combined we've spent on JR, AA, DJ, DP, AR and built a better team with some pace, power and different dimensions?

We've bought British top of the market and had our pants pulled down.  

If we're gonna do that could have bought Dwight Gayle, Kemar Roofe, Anya and Duffy and had presence and pace in the team.

Effing nonsense.

Buying 3 strikers who are identikit box sniffers just smacks of insanity.  

It's like a band with Marc Almond, Holly Johnson and Boy George as frontmen.

18 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Our recruitment policy has been nothing short of appalling.  Are you telling me we could not have spent £20m combined we've spent on JR, AA, DJ, DP, AR and built a better team with some pace, power and different dimensions?

If we're gonna do that could have bought Dwight Gayle, Kemar Roofe, Anya and Duffy and had presence and pace in the team.

Effing nonsense.

How did you managed not to jump off a bridge when we spent £2.75m on Andy Sinton, £750k on Frencis Jeffers, and £800k on Stevie May? The last two especially - that sort of money to us then was probably about the worth £10m is to us now!

BTW, don't think Dwight Gayle would have told Newcastle, with almost guaranteed promotion, and £80k a week to f*ck off to come to us somehow.

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

How did you managed not to jump off a bridge when we spent £2.75m on Andy Sinton, £750k on Frencis Jeffers, and £800k on Stevie May? The last two especially - that sort of money to us then was probably about the worth £10m is to us now!

BTW, don't think Dwight Gayle would have told Newcastle, with almost guaranteed promotion, and £80k a week to f*ck off to come to us somehow.

Before the internet I did used to scream down the phone at Teamtalk, "not Sinton, get Trevor Sinclair" !

I doubt Boro get back what they paid for him. Unless we go up anyway.

Rhodes guarantees goals, more so than others who have moved for big money. But after this I hope we look to bring in some cheaper gems like Winnall.

Edited by Bluesteel

41 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Effing nonsense.

Im hopeful we didn't spend as much as reported and the players mentioned as alternatives cost nearly 30m between them. 

But you raise a valid point about the similarities between our signings. They all have very similar attributes.

With Rhodes though, I don't  think we ever thought we'd get him, so Hooper and Winnall have been alternatives. Then on Tuesday the chance was presented, likely now or never and we chose to take it.

14 hours ago, Animal said:

It's a loan so surely we can say we don't want him if he doesn't live up to the standards, but thinking about our standards aren't even that high at the moment, Nuhiu even still gets game time 

:ph34r:

On FM its always an option to buy lol

Cant think of many instances in football where it is a guarantted transfer. But lets hope he does well enough to warrant the money.

13 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Good point.

In my personal opinion we should be spending that money on strengthening the squad, instead of lumping it all on one player.

Would rather have had, a young talented CB to partner Lees, a goal scoring CM (Lansbury/Hourinhane) and a proven Championship winger (Sako/Ince).

Obviously i'm happy we've signed Rhodes, i just think we could have spent that money wiser. 

But none of those would come so we have to sign who is available to us.

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Effing nonsense.

Abdi has been the only poor signing so far imo. Reach is playing better lately and still young and will improve.

We are guaranteeing goals with Rhodes. Can't believe people complaining now we finally get the man we wanted for the past 4 years but then some people never satisfied!