£10 million! Who else could we have got for that?

I think people are right saying the transfer fee is not £10M, will only rise to that sort of price if we get promoted.

But overall with Rhodes signing on fee and wages will probably end up costing more then £10m eventually.

Very few people would argue that the money in football is not obscene but that the way it is.

You have to pay these prices if you want good players.

6 hours ago, OasisOwl72 said:

We haven't paid £10 million pounds for Jordan Rhodes.

We also "only" paid £3.8 million in one installment for Adam Reach and not £5 million.

We can only go on the what the press has been saying and that is £10 million. 

How can you say with such certainty that we haven't paid that fee Rhodes and we've paid that fee for Reach?

3 minutes ago, M Royds said:

How can you say with such certainty that we haven't paid that fee Rhodes and we've paid that fee for Reach?

For starters we haven't paid anything for Rhodes yet.

Also, when we do pay a fee it won't be as much as £10 million and the Reach fee comes from the same source that I'm not prepared to name in public. Whether you believe it or not it's true.

7 minutes ago, M Royds said:

Based on what Carvalhal said after the last game and today about it not being ten million and that the chairman got a very good deal 

The transfer committee was ridiculed at the time for complicating matters, but our transfers being poorly thought-out coincided with when we got rid of the advisors (Paul Senior, Jonathan Hill and Glenn Roeder) on the transfer committee in November/December 2015 and let Carlos handle transfers himself.

Before they left, we'd been cute and frugal with transfers and utilised a number of influences and networks: Bannan for nothing (Senior was at Palace and probably tipped us off), Forestieri and Hooper for what was eventually £3m each, a number on loan (Pudil, Hunt and Lopez) and Wallace for nothing. Smart and carefully considered business all around apart from our forays into the Portuguese market, which were likely prompted by Carlos anyway.

Once the transfer committee became a transfer person at the end of 2015, our transfers became more unsure and relied on well-known names without thought put into it. McGeady was the first warning sign - a player on good wages only signed because of his name - and a flood of the same sorts of transfers began in the summer. Fletcher (massive wages), Abdi (£4m), Jones (£2.5m), Reach (£5m), Emmanuelson (massive wages), McManaman (massive wages) and Rhodes (£10m next season). Names signed for massive amounts that probably didn't take a lot of scouting.

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

At the top level maybe. Would have him here in a heartbeat though.

Yeah I guess, I don't watch Championship football (except us obviously) so my opinion on a player is always what I've seen of them in the EPL, he's probably good for the Championship but I'm not sure he is top division calibre, very hard worker though so perfect Burnley signing whilst having decent ability, Dyche could definitely push him on to the next level.

1 hour ago, OasisOwl72 said:

For starters we haven't paid anything for Rhodes yet.

Also, when we do pay a fee it won't be as much as £10 million and the Reach fee comes from the same source that I'm not prepared to name in public. Whether you believe it or not it's true.

Maybe you're right?

Are you in the know or are you speculating?

I am on the one hand over the moon about this deal. A fantastic player , who if fit and firing will get us 20 to 25 goals a season. 

My only worry is that it took us 15 years to recover from the last spending spree at the end of the 90s. In some of those seasons we had a total playing staff wage bill of 4m a year and no transfer budget. Great we are no longer in that situation, but I really hope all this is sustainable as it is a long, long way back if it isn't. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

I am on the one hand over the moon about this deal. A fantastic player , who if fit and firing will get us 20 to 25 goals a season. 

My only worry is that it took us 15 years to recover from the last spending spree at the end of the 90s. In some of those seasons we had a total playing staff wage bill of 4m a year and no transfer budget. Great we are no longer in that situation, but I really hope all this is sustainable as it is a long, long way back if it isn't. 

Tis a concern. However, enjoy the ride.