For the Abdi injury doubters

On 14/01/2017 at 12:52, torres said:

Is Abdi the biggest waste of money in the clubs history? (So far anyway?)

Based on current transfer fee and wages yeah but not much of a hit given our financial state at the minute

Biggest waste when we were struggling or cash gotta be Franny J!

On 1/14/2017 at 12:52, torres said:

Is Abdi the biggest waste of money in the clubs history? (So far anyway?)

Clearly you have a VERY short memory.

We paid more for De Bilde in 1999

We paid nearly as much as Abdi for Andy Sinton in 1993 (imagine what that equates to in modern transfer fees!)

Wim 'cardboard knees' Jonk cost us £2.5m in 1998

O'Donnell and Donnelly, although free transfers were on ridiculous money and both barely played.

And don't get me started on FJ9  :duntmatter:

34 minutes ago, Minton said:

We paid nearly as much as Abdi for Andy Sinton in 1993 (imagine what that equates to in modern transfer fees!)

O'Donnell and Donnelly, although free transfers were on ridiculous money and both barely played.

Or £5m for Adam Reach

34 minutes ago, Minton said:

Not a waste for me, I like him

Sure, but in the context of some of the others on that list, Adam Reach cost a lot more, and has so far done very little to suggest he's worth that sort of money. He might turn out to be a decent signing, but at the moment, he doesn't represent good value for money

7 minutes ago, Minton said:

The signings of De Bilde and Sibon have to be up there with the biggest disappointments as after selling Di Canio for a fraction of his true value we paid £5m+ for those two and subsequently got relegated. 

Hopefully with Abdi there's still time to get him in the team or sell him for a decent amount 

I'm with everyone else regarding wanting to see Abdi in the first team.

I'm also desperate to see Urby on the pitch! Even if it's for the development squad to start with. Want to see if he's still got it after watching him put it on a plate for Ibra over and over again at Milan!

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:57, Mr. Tom said:

Did anybody really, really think Abdi wasn't genuinely injured though? A player of that pedigree, professional calibre and seemingly extremely level-headed/reasonable temperament who we shelled out big time for - and who exactly fits one of the biggest skill gaps in the current squad - being sidelined indefinitely due to [insert mad paranoid non-football-related reason here]? Pshhhh. Silly billies!

I'm sure Abdi put up a picture or video early on in the season saying he was doing his shoulder exercises, and a player commented on it wishing him luck and saying it takes a long time to recover from.  I think he's had a long running shoulder injury from the start of the season and that's why he's been a bit tentative when he's played and why he came straight off after a seemingly innocuous challenge last time.

2 hours ago, Minton said:

Factoring in inflation:

Jonk - £4.04m

De Bilde - £4.77m

Sinton - £5.14m

(assuming I did my maths right).

1 hour ago, Grimbarian said:

Factoring in inflation:

Jonk - £4.04m

De Bilde - £4.77m

Sinton - £5.14m

(assuming I did my maths right).

That's in monetary terms, but football transfer inflation is different. Bearing in mind that the British transfer record at the time was £5.5m for Gazza in 1992 and wasn't broken until 1995 when Man Utd paid £7.5m for Andy Cole. Can you imagine what Andy Cole would be going for if he was around now?! I mean, Liverpool (foolishly) paid £35m for Andy Carroll...

The equivalent now would be us paying £25m or so for a player. I'd class that as a world-class spunking up the wall of money