Adam Reach

What is wrong with some people!?

We just beat the league leaders in their own back yard, and Adam Reach played a vital role in our victory.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about how much ground he covered getting forward as well as defending down our left flank.

The Guardian's match report picks him out for praise, yet some of our own fans seem unable to see what he offers, unfortunately...

"As he drew his fur-trimmed parka tightly to his throat and toyed with the idea of pulling the hood up, it was clear Wednesday’s Carlos Carvalhal regarded Tyneside’s late-December chill in much the same way that Benítez’s defence viewed the excellent visiting left-winger, Adam Reach.

While Reach, situated wide on the left but offered licence to roam, unnerved Newcastle – and Vurnon Anita in particular – with his combination of physical presence and clever feet, Karl Darlow had to be at his very best to repel Steven Fletcher’s ferocious half-volley."

It's a bit sad, really.

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

How would you feel if we'd paid a million quid for him? Be honest

I think the fee has clouded judgements, me included. He's still relatively young so plenty of time to develop. 

He looks composed at times, but really lacks that cutting edge when trying to beat a man and either score or create a chance. I suppose for £5M you would expect to see more overall. 

2 minutes ago, whyte_owl said:

Clueless some of our fans.....looks a great prospect to me unlike that headless chicken

Kieran Lee who everyone idolises........bizarre.

Go on admit you just want you're negs to go up lol

1 minute ago, whyte_owl said:

Clueless some of our fans.....looks a great prospect to me unlike that headless chicken

Kieran Lee who everyone idolises........bizarre.

Keiran Lee is idolised because he has been class for us and our best player over four seasons.

Any Wednesday fan would know that..

I think the fee was always going to weigh a little heavily on him and understandably so. He's been steady enough, let's not forget he's been shunted around a little bit by Carlos. Certainly has the potential to get better and in truth that was what we were buying. We weren't buying a proven player IMO?

Just now, sage owl said:

If's that's your honest opinion you've just made yourself look a right cnut. Alternatively I could have just been whooshed .

Helan was crap, but his pace could occasionally create something. I've not seen much more from Reach to suggest he can do far more than that. 

Reach, like Helan, struggles massively to beat a man and create a chance. Like I said before, maybe his fee has clouded judgements and we're expecting too much from him. 

I've certainly not been impressed. 

2 minutes ago, whyte_owl said:

Are you serious?  Have you watched Sam Hutchinson lately?

Of course.

That doesn't negate all Lee's performances.

Anyway, I don't need to defend Lee.

If you don't see it, I'm not gonna waste my time. 

Edited by Beholder

2 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I am sorry guys but he is never worth even close to £5m in a million years.

He can't beat a man, doesn't score and loses possession when playing midfield.

When he plays at left back he is pretty good going forward because he does have a decent cross and gets more space to deliver - but he can't defend.

Total and utter waste of money.  He be somewhere like Preston or Wigan for most of his career.

neg away

Merry Xmas lol

I just honestly can't understand why any Owl would even look for a negative tonight. All I can guess is that some people simply enjoy footy in a very different way and get fun from being the clever one who knows best and wants to bring us all down .

Unless I am missing something? Bit sad, really.

No doubt he was over priced even in todays market.

But when you think about it £5million for a youngish left sided player who ticks all the boxes for me playing wise (can pass, shoot, tracks back, agile etc and works hard) isn't too shabby. We will get our moneys worth out of Reach, lots of potential there for CC.

Saying he has been average for us so far is a fair comment. Playing okay in our system just needs that confidence boost a goal can bring so we can start seeing him taking on players and creating more chances. Obviously plenty of expectation on the lad given the price tag, but have a feeling in 18months time we'll be saying what a bargain he was.

Edited by Lionel Fessi