FA Cup memories

My first memories of the FA cup were victories over QPR 3-0 and Mansfield Town 4-0 in the 3rd and 4th Round respectively late 60's I think?

But standout moments include:-

Final V Everton in 66 watched on the telly

5 Games against Arsenal I went to them all

Beating Crystal Palace at Villa Park

Semi Final V Brighton at Highbury

Semi Final V Pigs (my sons first ever game, 31 now and a season ticket holder)

Final and replay V Arsenal

What are your best memories?

Same for me, Pigs at Wembley, I was 13 first away day with my dad and uncles with the bottom Freedom.

We pulled up after about half hours drive on the way back via the off licence and watched the match again in a boozer in London.

Top day don't think mum was too impressed though when my dad rung her up from the Freedom about 11pm and told her we'd just got back. Her reply was that's funny because them from across road have been back since 7 o, clock.

Needless to say we supped up and fecked off home. Got absolutely wee wee wet walking home but it didn't matter.

My first FA cup match involving Wednesday was, unfortunately, when we played Scunthorpe at home in January 1970 (I was 11 and went with my Dad).  We lost 1-2, in front of a crowd of more than 38,000, having taken a fourth minute lead through a Jack Whitham goal.

Pigs at Wembley has to be the best.

many great cup memories for me, Arsenal matches in 79 only went to 1, but remember the excitement they generated even as a 9 year old.

83 Cambridge away my 1st proper away match (don't count Bramall lane), Burnley 4-0, Brighton at Highbury first time I had my heartbroken at football.

4 matches v Everton

86 beating West Ham massive excitement around school and the city then heartbreak again against Everton

Having to work in 87 on day we played Coventry in QF, sneaking away and listening to radio, heartbreak again.

91 The whole run but especially Derby 3-3 in QF, the joy of beating pigs at Wembley surely it wouldn't be surpassed, it wasn't more heartbreak against Arsenal again

Going to Bradford and beating a Waddle inspired side before more heartbreak in QF against Wimbledon.

The last heartbreak I have felt about THE CUP is seeing it losing its appeal, cup matches used to be bigger than almost any league game, to now see teams playing reserve sides and small crowds is so disappointing to someone who was brought up loving the cup, I hope it can somehow regenerate its appeal and pulling factor as it has given many people many great moments and I would love for this to continue for the younger generation, especially younger Wednesdayites.

when i started we seemed to have the nasty habit of being knocked out in the early rounds, Newport  away springs to mind .....my 1st cup game was a replay against everton which we lost 0-3....best moment for me was the win at leeds in 69 when no one gave us a prayer and we wiped the floor with them .

Best: 

FA Cup Semi Final in 1993. 

Beating Bristol City in 2011. 

Beating West Ham United in 2012.

Worst: 

Losing final against Arsenal in 1993.

Losing to Wolves in 1995.

Losing to Charlton Athletic in 1996.

Losing to Gillinham in 2000.

Losing to Scunthorpe United in 2003. 

Losing to Milton Keynes Dons in 2013. 

Losing to Shrewsbury Town in 2016. 

Edited by aeroswfc

Burnley (QF?) replay. When night matches were special. When the FA cup was special. Something like 36,000 there.

93 semi.

Early 70s when we were dire, but drew with Palace at home and Won 2nd replay with a Joicey hat trick.

Too many disappointments:

Arsenal 93

Both semi finals in 80s, especially Brighton.

Coventry QF in 87

Last few years, Charlton when we would have had Blades next round, MK away, Shrewsbury.......

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

when i started we seemed to have the nasty habit of being knocked out in the early rounds, Newport  away springs to mind .....my 1st cup game was a replay against everton which we lost 0-3....best moment for me was the win at leeds in 69 when no one gave us a prayer and we wiped the floor with them .

Yep, the Newport game is ingrained all too firmly in my memories too..... only a kid at the time, but I think I can honestly say that I have never felt as bad about losing as that made me feel.

On a positive note... Man U was one to savour, but is still tinged with a feeling that it was "only" the league cup... throwback to the days when it was little more than a mickey mouse competition and the F.A. Cup was the real one I suppose... it's an age thing!

Blunts at Wembley..... now THAT'S a memory!

Best ones as above really: 93 semi, Derby in quarters. Can quite clearly remember beating Torquay 5-1 after going an early goal down too. The same day as Sutton beat Coventry.

Predictably there are lots of less good memories: Only time I have ever cried about football was the semi in 86. Everton again with the 5-0 replay and another one when Neville Southall produced the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen in a 2-1 home defeat. The losing penalty shoot out at Wolves.

One that sticks in my mind was losing a home replay against Chelsea in about 94. I fully expected to win but we were taken apart - think it was when I started to realise we were not as good as I had thought.

Guest BULGARIA

the 5-0 win over burnley in the quarters 1983.

anyone who says " play the reserves" for any fa cup game surely cant have been at this match.

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

I remember that the game at Goodison had ended in a 2-2 draw; Andy Burgin making his debut at full back had managed to score an owl goal in the last minute to give Everton the replay.

We then had Roy McLaren replacing Ron Springett in goal for the replay and he had a nightmare.

7 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

I remember that the game at Goodison had ended in a 2-2 draw; Andy Burgin making his debut at full back had managed to score an owl goal in the last minute to give Everton the replay.

We then had Roy McLaren replacing Ron Springett in goal for the replay and he had a nightmare.

that's right mate ...I think McLaren was in goal for the Newport game as well.....the magic of the cup didnt quite rub off on roy  

4 hours ago, Thurgoland Owl said:

My first memories of the FA cup were victories over QPR 3-0 and Mansfield Town 4-0 in the 3rd and 4th Round respectively late 60's I think?

But standout moments include:-

Final V Everton in 66 watched on the telly

5 Games against Arsenal I went to them all

Beating Crystal Palace at Villa Park

Semi Final V Brighton at Highbury

Semi Final V Pigs (my sons first ever game, 31 now and a season ticket holder)

Final and replay V Arsenal

What are your best memories?

Ooops! forgot Semi Final v Everton at Villa Park

4 hours ago, Helen Waddle said:

My first FA cup match involving Wednesday was, unfortunately, when we played Scunthorpe at home in January 1970 (I was 11 and went with my Dad).  We lost 1-2, in front of a crowd of more than 38,000, having taken a fourth minute lead through a Jack Whitham goal.

Pigs at Wembley has to be the best.

And the scorer of the scunthorpe winner was a certain Kevin Keegan!!!