FA Cup memories

Yes my first ever trip to Sheffield 3rd Round v Leeds Jan 1969 big crowd, great atmosphere and 1 - 1. Replay has been referred to by others above I couldn't be there but Magic  .

Following year 3rd round v WBA at home Whitam 2 goals but Browne's goal for West Brom still flashes into my mind  -- a cracker. Then ,as above, to lose to Scunthorpe the following round a real sickener.

39 minutes ago, Thurgoland Owl said:

Well Minsk thanks for that, I was there but was convinced Kevin Keegan scored for the last 40years!

Reckon it was (Tommy)Cassidy who scored, they in all red, was an omen for young KK who tormented us all day 

Being born in 95 I don't have many positive ones however one that stands out is the away tie at Southport in the First round in 2010/11. It was a cracking game and credit to Southport they threw everything at us and at one point looked like they could have nicked a replay. Was also nice to stick 2 fingers up to ITV who were desperate for a shock.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

me as well mate my 1st trip to London aged 13 ..... I can still see it in my mind bobbling in slow motion past ron 50 years later ..theres another picture floating about somewhere of megson with his head in his hands and 3 or 4 players slumped to there knees  but i'm blowed if I can find it .its on owlstalk somewhere

My Dad (rip) used to tell me about this game, remember him saying there were over 20k Wednesdayites there. Reading your post it looks like he wasn't exaggerating much. Remember him telling me about someone getting knocked out near end, and when they came round they thought we had drawn the match. Think he said they'd played on with concussion, but can't remember who it was. Can you confirm this or correct this for me Torryowl?

Guest minsk owl
3 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

My Dad (rip) used to tell me about this game, remember him saying there were over 20k Wednesdayites there. Reading your post it looks like he wasn't exaggerating much. Remember him telling me about someone getting knocked out near end, and when they came round they thought we had drawn the match. Think he said they'd played on with concussion, but can't remember who it was. Can you confirm this or correct this for me Torryowl?

I reckon you're right .............  pretty sure it was David Ford who got clattered, and slid across the Speedway gravel track         ( ouch ) ........ into the hoardings

The real sadness is that the magic has been devalued in recent years. But for those of us who were around they can't take away those memories, good and bad, of great cup outings. Was at Chelsea in 67 & 68, Leeds in 69 & most of others mentioned. Strangely, that 3-2 win over Palace at Villa Park really stands out as a pauper's feast. Best competition in the world.

10 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

many great cup memories for me, Arsenal matches in 79 only went to 1, but remember the excitement they generated even as a 9 year old.

83 Cambridge away my 1st proper away match (don't count Bramall lane), Burnley 4-0, Brighton at Highbury first time I had my heartbroken at football.

4 matches v Everton

86 beating West Ham massive excitement around school and the city then heartbreak again against Everton

Having to work in 87 on day we played Coventry in QF, sneaking away and listening to radio, heartbreak again.

91 The whole run but especially Derby 3-3 in QF, the joy of beating pigs at Wembley surely it wouldn't be surpassed, it wasn't more heartbreak against Arsenal again

Going to Bradford and beating a Waddle inspired side before more heartbreak in QF against Wimbledon.

The last heartbreak I have felt about THE CUP is seeing it losing its appeal, cup matches used to be bigger than almost any league game, to now see teams playing reserve sides and small crowds is so disappointing to someone who was brought up loving the cup, I hope it can somehow regenerate its appeal and pulling factor as it has given many people many great moments and I would love for this to continue for the younger generation, especially younger Wednesdayites.

Your last paragraph sums up everything that is wrong with football now. I hope your dreams come true friend, as they are my dreams too. Sadly, because of sky I think we are fecked and have to live with our memories.

BUT...............................

WAWAW

UTO

Think it was Nigel Cassidy who scored the winner in the Scunthorpe debacle. I thought one of their goals involved a collision with the post or could have been Prophett's boot/knee...do remember the Scunny player being flat out on ground for a few minutes, don't think he even knew he'd scored! What year was that? Dreadful, dreadful period to watch Wednesday...no wonder I'm deeply scarred.

Probably just me, but looking back I remember teams/players/managers/seasons for the cup ties (if you know what i mean)

Perhaps it's because we've had so little to shout about league-wise over the past 50yrs that cup successes are so memorable

Dunno, it's a shame though

I always associate cup ties with big(ger) crowds, a bit of glory, giant-killing etc

Even now I can really get into the FA Cup - the early round upsets, live TV coverage from non-league grounds. I love it

Then the 3rd round draw and we wait to see which all-PL tie the BBC choose to broadcast, only they'll pick weakened sides because they care more about the league

Or else it'll be ManU v whoever they get drawn against next until they're knocked out

Of course, Wednesday are the only team that matters but then we'll end up disappointed by either team selection (Shrewsbury,a) or performance (Charlton,h) and once we're out I quickly lose interest

Even the final has lost it's spark for me these days           :sad: