FA Cup memories

54 minutes ago, lesbarbeux said:

Yep, the Newport game is ingrained all too firmly in my memories too..... only a kid at the time, but I think I can honestly say that I have never felt as bad about losing as that made me feel.

On a positive note... Man U was one to savour, but is still tinged with a feeling that it was "only" the league cup... throwback to the days when it was little more than a mickey mouse competition and the F.A. Cup was the real one I suppose... it's an age thing!

Blunts at Wembley..... now THAT'S a memory!

7-2 at Old Trafford..............Actually February 61 not December 63 !

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
ommision

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

when i started we seemed to have the nasty habit of being knocked out in the early rounds, Newport  away springs to mind .....my 1st cup game was a replay against everton which we lost 0-3....best moment for me was the win at leeds in 69 when no one gave us a prayer and we wiped the floor with them .

The inigma that was Brian Woodall!

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

The 3-3 draw with Derby at the Baseball Ground when Warhurst was on fire was a brilliant game.

Couldn't get a ticket at Hillsborough so went to Derby midweek game to get a ticket for their end, last thing you want in these situations is 3 away goals!!!!

1966. Away v Huddersfield. Away v Blackburn. Semi at Villa Park v Chelsea (V Mobley heroics) and Final v Everton.(was at all these games). Despite the loss and heartbreak, still a great memory

1983 Semi Final v Brighton (Highbury) First and only time I went to Highbury.

1993 Semi v SU. Final and replay v Arsenal (was at all of these games at old Wembley The overall memory is positive, despite eventual losses))

1979 loss to Arsenal eventually after 4 draws, lost 2-0 at Leicester's Flibert Street. (was at 3 of these games). Very hard to take after this series of matches.

1965 loss to Everton at home 3-0, after drawing at Goodison 2-2 Again v hard to take. Pickering hatrick did for us in front of big gate and in pouring rain (no roof on Kop in those days).

Remember the '66 semi-final against Chelsea as if it was yesterday. We had been mediocre in the league that season, and we're underdogs, but overpowered the opposition despite effectively being reduced to 10 men. The Owls scored twice towards the end on a bog of a pitch - the 'Wembley here we come' feeling was so sweet!

15 minutes ago, Doctor John said:

Remember the '66 semi-final against Chelsea as if it was yesterday. We had been mediocre in the league that season, and we're underdogs, but overpowered the opposition despite effectively being reduced to 10 men. The Owls scored twice towards the end on a bog of a pitch - the 'Wembley here we come' feeling was so sweet!

A bit cloudy and always fail to pick myself out at the front. I do though remember the little Ford Pop painted in Blue & White stripes that made the Journey !

3 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Burnley (QF?) replay. When night matches were special. When the FA cup was special. Something like 36,000 there.

93 semi.

Early 70s when we were dire, but drew with Palace at home and Won 2nd replay with a Joicey hat trick.

Too many disappointments:

Arsenal 93

Both semi finals in 80s, especially Brighton.

Coventry QF in 87

Last few years, Charlton when we would have had Blades next round, MK away, Shrewsbury.......

More than 38,000, think it was about 45,000.  It really was a special night, should have won at Turf Moor but they got a late equaliser.  Tremendous atmosphere, outstanding performance, 5-0.  Marvellous memories.

Aye, that Leeds replay was fairly magical in 1969. We were late arriving, father hadn't a clue about which end we were supposed to go, ended up behind goal at opposite end to all Owls fans! Although Woodall got a lot of credit that night, Peter Eustace in midfield was outstanding...I remember him lofting the ball onto the stand roof near the end to waste time. M1 on the way home was a sea of blue and white scarves trailing out of car windows, tooting as we passed or were overtaken. Still never know how we survived standing in the Leeds end, especially after the third goal, I expect they all went home then...mardy buggers.

The Blunts Semi Final has to be the best but the Burnley qf replay at S6 is right up there the place was absolutely rammed and a 5-0 win too!!... it was probably the first time I actually thought we could actually start achieving something!! Stood on the kop and It was just a brilliant night!!

Edited by Prendo's boots

Most definitely the semi against United in 93 is my favourite memory. Just a special day all round. Remember setting off at crack of dawn as kick off was a stupid time like 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock. The M1 south was just full of football supporters from Sheffield - nearly every car. We had scarves flying out of the window, giving the thumbs up to any blue and white fans and nasty gestures to any red and white fans. Having said that, the atmosphere down at Wembley was one of friendly rivalry from what I remember. Lots of Blades and Owls fans all chatting together. I remember the Blades having a huge banner in their end - I saw a whole team of them carrying it into the ground. After that, Wednesday quickly acquired one for the following season. Can't remember too much about the actual match to be honest, just that I was deliriously happy afterwards and it was a great journey back to South Yorkshire. So glad we won - United will never be able to take that special memory away from us. It almost made up for not winning in the final - almost!

I went to the first FA cup final game against Arsenal and sat level with the goal ..remember gong mad when Hirst equalised.  A great day! 

Watched the replay at school with about 20 others - only 1 person wanted Arsenal to win.  Never felt confident during the game ...

Just an awful final minute and a empty feeling afterwards..I'll never forget it.

...Also remember losing to Wimbledon in 1997, we were in the quaters, furthest we had been in ages - had quite high hopes which were sadly dashed ..an opportunity lost.

Guest minsk owl
23 minutes ago, torryowl said:

biggest heartbreaker for me ..18000 wednesdayites just about to feel like there world as ended .

apr-04-1967-fa-cup-sixth-round-chelsea-versus-sheffield-wednesday-e0xm19.jpg

That's got to be Baldwins goal at Stamford Bridge, last couple of minutes, cup quarter final ,  ......... was there as a young lad ,  what a shocking feeling

16 minutes ago, minsk owl said:

That's got to be Baldwins goal at Stamford Bridge, last couple of minutes, cup quarter final ,  ......... was there as a young lad ,  what a shocking feeling

me as well mate my 1st trip to London aged 13 ..... I can still see it in my mind bobbling in slow motion past ron 50 years later ..theres another picture floating about somewhere of megson with his head in his hands and 3 or 4 players slumped to there knees  but i'm blowed if I can find it .its on owlstalk somewhere

Edited by torryowl

Guest minsk owl
10 hours ago, Helen Waddle said:

My first FA cup match involving Wednesday was, unfortunately, when we played Scunthorpe at home in January 1970 (I was 11 and went with my Dad).  We lost 1-2, in front of a crowd of more than 38,000, having taken a fourth minute lead through a Jack Whitham goal.

Pigs at Wembley has to be the best.

6 hours ago, Thurgoland Owl said:

And the scorer of the scunthorpe winner was a certain Kevin Keegan!!!

Keegan played, but didn't score,  ....... Cassidy got Scunthorpe's winner.  Their first goal was was Barker ?? / Baker ?? , can't remember, ......... but he ended up unconscious and in hospital after a hitting a low header ( and Prophett's knee / boot ) at the same time.

11 minutes ago, minsk owl said:

Keegan played, but didn't score,  ....... Cassidy got Scunthorpe's winner.  Their first goal was was Barker ?? / Baker ?? , can't remember, ......... but he ended up unconscious and in hospital after a hitting a low header ( and Prophett's knee / boot ) at the same time.

Well Minsk thanks for that, I was there but was convinced Kevin Keegan scored for the last 40years!

10 hours ago, Helen Waddle said:

My first FA cup match involving Wednesday was, unfortunately, when we played Scunthorpe at home in January 1970 (I was 11 and went with my Dad).  We lost 1-2, in front of a crowd of more than 38,000, having taken a fourth minute lead through a Jack Whitham goal.

Pigs at Wembley has to be the best.

Strangely enough this match sprang straight to mind, was at the front of lep behind the goal when a player called Cassidy scored with a falling header at the back post 

Think Keegan played that day may be wrong 

Danny Williams said we scored too early!