The top 50 Sheffield Wednesday players of all time..

6 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Nobody from the last twenty years should be close to getting in the top 50

Compiled in 2009.

I'd be tempted to put Loovens and Bannan in now.

Theres also Wickham, Kenwyne and Antonio (Loan players count?)

Edited by HIGHERSTATE
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Ron springett said:

Got to be Andrew Wilson 🦉

A problem with these types of lists no matter what club or sport they are always weighted to more recent players or events.
Be more interesting to hear a few of the people who have studied Wednesday history in depth. 

3 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Compiled in 2009.

I'd be tempted to put Loovens and Bannan in now.

Theres also Wickham, Kenwyne and Antonio (Loan players count?)

Opinions isnt it. But for me no chance.

Put it this way.... for each position pick our top 5 players, thats over 50 already. 

Loovens in our top 5 centre backs ever? No chance

wickham over hirst, bannister, bright, dooley, chapman, fantham etc

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Opinions isnt it. But for me no chance.

Put it this way.... for each position pick our top 5 players, thats over 50 already. 

Loovens in our top 5 centre backs ever? No chance

wickham over hirst, bannister, bright, dooley, chapman, fantham etc

I have apologise...i've only been going since 86/87 and don't know much before then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my time I’d definitely have roly number one and obviously hirst, waddle , Sheridan and Palmer would be close to the top, but going on what I’ve read and heard from older fans the list is a nonsense. Blenkinsop was regarded as the best full back in the world in his day , Wilson record scorer and from the 60s the old man says fantham was superb he only rates hirst higher swann is regarded by most as our greatest cb and Kay who I’ve heard many call the best player they saw in a Wednesday shirt doesn’t get in 

On 02/12/2016 at 08:25, ChinaOwl said:

Bullen better than Marwood, Shelton and a few others.

:duntmatter:

Agreed. I assume it’s not on ability but on how they contributed to Wednesday. Shelton, Marwood and the likes of Mark Bright all contributed more.

8 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

A problem with these types of lists no matter what club or sport they are always weighted to more recent players or events.
Be more interesting to hear a few of the people who have studied Wednesday history in depth. 

Most sports who can measure results show that the more modern sportsperson have the better records.

Is unreasonable to believe that the same would happen in sports where there is no measurement, such as football?

Okay, this will probably start a whole new round of criticism, but here's my attempt at ranking a top 50 (position in The Times list in brackets)

50. Paolo Di Canio (18)

49. Gary Shelton (n/a)

48. Ambrose Langley (20)

47. Glenn Whelan (n/a)

46. Kevin Pressman (15)

45. Barry Bannan (n/a)

44. Gary Bannister (45)

43. Harry Chapman (n/a)

42. Tommy Walker (n/a)

41. Gary Megson (30)

40. Walter Millership (n/a)

39. Jack Lyall (n/a)

38. Mark Bright (n/a)

37. Lee Chapman (34)

36. Tommy Craig (22)

35. Martin Hodge (26)

34. Jim McCalliog (16)

33. Peter Shirtliff (37)

32. Brian Marwood (n/a)

31. David Layne (29)

30. Tony Kay (n/a)

29. Nigel Pearson (9)

28. Terry Curran (10)

27. Jackie Sewell (41) 

26. Alan Finney (36)

25. Nigel Worthington (25)

24. Redfern Froggatt (24)

23. Mike Lyons (19)

22. Albert Quixall (14)

21. John Fantham (50)

20. Carlton Palmer (8)
19. Don Megson (7)

18. Des Walker (13)

17. Roland Nilsson (1)

16. Jack Brown (16)

15. Jack Allen (11)

14. Mel Sterland (6)

13. Derek Dooley (3)

12. Tommy Crawshaw (44)

11. Mark Hooper (47)

10. Peter Swan (31)

9. Chris Waddle (4)

8. Ellis Rimmer (32)

7. Jimmy Seed (n/a)

6. David Hirst (2)

5. Andrew Wilson (23)

4. John Sheridan (5)

3. Ron Springett (12)

2. Ernie Blenkinsop (35)

1. Fred Spiksley (38)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All different perspectives, I don't see Carl Shutt on the list but his goal scoring record of 16 in 40, is betters than Di Canios of 15 in 41.

Not arguing he's as good but statistcally you were as likely to see him score as Di Canio. 

Quite frankly the core of the list should be players from the period 1929-1939,our most successful period two Championships one FA Cup and looking at the league tables challanging to win the league every other year too. 

30 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

All different perspectives, I don't see Carl Shutt on the list but his goal scoring record of 16 in 40, is betters than Di Canios of 15 in 41.

Not arguing he's as good but statistcally you were as likely to see him score as Di Canio. 

Quite frankly the core of the list should be players from the period 1929-1939,our most successful period two Championships one FA Cup and looking at the league tables challanging to win the league every other year too. 

I mean you have to go off a range of factors - I think whether they helped the club win stuff is a main factor, but there are other factors like longevity, how good the player was in the grand scheme of things and how much entertainment they brought.

Di Canio obviously scores very low on winning stuff and length of service - but for sheer entertainment value - I can't remember another player, bar Chris Waddle, who could be so thrilling to watch on his day. While Shutt did a job for us, you obviously couldn't say the same thing about him. That's why he would scrape into my Top 50. But I certainly wouldn't put him in the Top 20 like The Times did.

A reminder

Tommy Crawshaw is the only Wednesday player to win two FA Cups - one as captain.

He was also captain when we were twice champions of England.

Captained England numerous times.

Sheffield through and through.

Our greatest ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2