Birmingham City vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

pauli

I think Carlos dropped a ballox by bringing on another striker when Fletch came off. He should have brought Jones on to sit in front of the back four and shut up shop and seen the game out. 

Massive error by Carlos in my humble opinion. 

Looking at the end of the game, the players looked tired, they looked like they lacked that half a yard to get close - Having said that, we do tend to look like we struggle more against the more physical teams.

The game should have been over before half time, we had enough chances, we just need to be better at putting them away. We have so much quality, but in the space of one minute we watched our striker head aimlessly towards goal, followed by their striker on a stretch heading it nicely into the top corner. That quality wins games.

I'm not a Nuhiu fan, but can't blame him for the loss here - I do find though, when we put him on the pitch, we invite teams onto us. Teams know he can't get in behind them and they push up, so really we might as well load the midfield and try to control the ball.

I'd hate us to change the way we play, its attractive and nice to watch, but we do need to take action on the weak defending. Some focus needs to be put there.

Overall though, lets not get disheartened here - At the end of the season there will be teams challenging for the top 6 who are even lower than us right now. Hopefully we are in there with them and the new players have clicked into the system.

If Carlos does fail, then his downfall will be playing players out of position - This needs fixing, as it unbalances the team/formation, and also makes players look worse than they are

We have gifted footballers but a soft underbelly. Brum are a well drilled rugged outfit, a bit like us under Gray. Against these teams we struggle as for some unknown reason, our workrate isn't what it was last season. Where were Lee And FF today? Just missing. Abdi is not the answer at the moment. Appalling decision making from Westwood and the defence from a leading position. 14 million spent in the close season and we are a less effective side. 

38 minutes ago, kidc77 said:

Battered them?  I didn't think so, imo I just watched 2 very very average sides today the difference was they defended well and we did what we always do stand and watch a ball drifting into the box.  

sorry perhaps should have said Ist half battered them but couldn't score when we were clearly 2-3 goals better than them 

what happened in that last 15 was ridiculous  westwood knows that pen was stupid  and then done by a sucker injury time goal at the end 

I actually thought we played really well today for an hour, then got tired and our heads dropped a bit through repeatedly failing to make all the creative hard work count. Would've preferred to see Jones on for Fletcher but that's nothing against Nuhiu, thought he did perfectly ok when he came on – played relatively deep but also got forward once or twice (which is about as much as anyone on our side did after that point), drew a number of fouls, disrupted B'ham's counter attacking play where he could. Just think Jones might've been more effective in the position Nuhiu was more or less being forced to play due to us not retaining possession in the last 10min.

It's not clicked yet, but it's getting there. We need to sharpen up at both ends, but we're not far off – all game the commentators were rightly praising both our attack and our defense. Sharpness is what it's all about. Ruthlessness. Build a bit of confidence at both ends and we'll have that back in spades. No need for a panic yet, IMO.

13 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I think Carlos dropped a ballox by bringing on another striker when Fletch came off. He should have brought Jones on to sit in front of the back four and shut up shop and seen the game out. 

Massive error by Carlos in my humble opinion. 

Completely agree. I just don't think it's in his nature to shut up shop, he seems to replace like with like,that could be his downfall.

He seemed to make the sub very quickly I think he should have waited to see brums reaction.

Carlos needs to go; we have been mostly poo since April last season. We blew our chance in the play off final, where we just didn't turn up.  We did beat Brighton reserves to get there....though we did earn the right, and at the time thought we may come good in a big final...not to be.....Poor Tactics against Hull IMHO

We have been lucky this season to beat two 3rd division sides, Wigan and Bristol C (Especially Bristol C we should have lost)

We lost to Burton Albion and Leeds?...kin ell.

This season, the writing is already on the wall, Mid Table or even worst.

Players we have seem capable, a few of them V. Good....the style of play is the problem......all of course IMHO...we shall see

40 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Carlos needs to go; we have been mostly poo since April last season. We blew our chance in the play off final, where we just didn't turn up.  We did beat Brighton reserves to get there....though we did earn the right, and at the time thought we may come good in a big final...not to be.....Poor Tactics against Hull IMHO

We have been lucky this season to beat two 3rd division sides, Wigan and Bristol C (Especially Bristol C we should have lost)

We lost to Burton Albion and Leeds?...kin ell.

This season, the writing is already on the wall, Mid Table or even worst.

Players we have seem capable, a few of them V. Good....the style of play is the problem......all of course IMHO...we shall see

How did we do with Stuart Gray ? Attacking football with flair lollol