Hooper

He's a great finisher but can we afford to start a player who does nothing for 10-15 games at a time in the hope that he springs to life?

He played from the bench when he helped Norwich get promoted and I have little doubt that would be the best way of us using him. Our very own Kevin Phillips. 

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i cant believe that someone as clued up on fitness levels carlos would entertain playing someone who neglects his fitness .he's a strange shape i'll grant you but he'll have been on the same pre season as the other players and they'll be monitored to reach the levels the club have set them .........

No i agree.

My point was that he has periods of poor form where he shouldn't play, not that he plays when unfit!

My point re fitness, wasn't that it affects him when he's actually playing, but more about what he does in the close season and how he returns after the break.

It clearly took him ages to get up to speed when he first came and even allowing for an injury he had let himself go.

I just think it's not very professional and who knows if this has some sort of impact relating to the form issue.

I would trust CC implicitly to make the decision, but i still think we need an absolute proven striker to give us what we need and to also act as major competition to give him a kick up the a*se.

I've absolutely no axe to grind re Hooper, not bothered whether its his goals or anyone else's that do it for us. Just think we need something as well to add to it.  

54 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

No i agree.

My point was that he has periods of poor form where he shouldn't play, not that he plays when unfit!

My point re fitness, wasn't that it affects him when he's actually playing, but more about what he does in the close season and how he returns after the break.

It clearly took him ages to get up to speed when he first came and even allowing for an injury he had let himself go.

I just think it's not very professional and who knows if this has some sort of impact relating to the form issue.

I would trust CC implicitly to make the decision, but i still think we need an absolute proven striker to give us what we need and to also act as major competition to give him a kick up the a*se.

I've absolutely no axe to grind re Hooper, not bothered whether its his goals or anyone else's that do it for us. Just think we need something as well to add to it.  

But Rob, Carlos is a manager not a psychic.

How is a manager to know when his star but streaky striker (all strikers are streaky) is at the start of a lean run? How does he know when to bring him back?

If a striker gets you 20 goals you smile ear to ear and pocket them. You don't fret about lean runs here and there.

12 hours ago, Holmowl said:

But Rob, Carlos is a manager not a psychic.

How is a manager to know when his star but streaky striker (all strikers are streaky) is at the start of a lean run? How does he know when to bring him back?

If a striker gets you 20 goals you smile ear to ear and pocket them. You don't fret about lean runs here and there.

I know, and i want to believe in him but he just doesn't quite do it for me somehow, not when you compare him to someone like an Andre Gray.

I realise there's a big price difference but that is the type of player amongst others, people on here were comparing him with.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong and i hope i am mate.

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

I know, and i want to believe in him but he just doesn't quite do it for me somehow, not when you compare him to someone like an Andre Gray.

I realise there's a big price difference but that is the type of player amongst others, people on here were comparing him with.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong and i hope i am mate.

Unless we sign you know who today, do we even have a choice but to start Hooper?

Last season's goals:-

Fletcher 6 in 28

Joao 6 in 40

FF 7 in 31 (as striker)

Nuhiu 3 in 41 

Hooper 13 in 29

Unless one or more of the other four have some sort of minor miraculous transformation, how could we possibly be a promotion side without lots of zHooper goals?

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Unless we sign you know who today, do we even have a choice but to start Hooper?

Last season's goals:-

Fletcher 6 in 28

Joao 6 in 40

FF 7 in 31 (as striker)

Nuhiu 3 in 41 

Hooper 13 in 29

Unless one or more of the other four have some sort of minor miraculous transformation, how could we possibly be a promotion side without lots of zHooper goals?

I think that would be a brilliant bit of business.

The options it would present would be mega, possibly bring the best out of Hooper and take some pressure of him as well.

Didn't want to mention it, but seeing as you have.   :biggrin:

Ok I'll have my 2 pennath.

To me Hooper is not a very good player but he is a goal scorer. The issue I have with him is he currently isn't scoring goals.

For example the chance against Leeds, ok he's hit the target but that is why he's in the side to SCORE those chances. He didn't. Yes this is one occasion but he isn't doing his job in my opinion. And if he isn't scoring then we're left to look at his footballing ability as to what he's contributing and we can all agrees that isn't very good.

Now I believe that if he scores against Leeds we win that game. Yes we were 1-0 down but going into the last 20 mins 1-1 taking the game to them were 3 points better off.

would I play him ? Not at the moment, would I again probably yes.

23 minutes ago, abrodie2002 said:

Here's a thought.... Let's give the lad some encouragement instead of slagging him off! He's a confidence player and this kinda chat isn't going to help his confidence! 

I'd question what the hell he's doing reading Owlstalk more than anything else lol

27 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Hooper to Bristol City - Rhodes to Wednesday.

If Calsberg did transfer deadline day.....

Hooper to CF.

FF to LW.

If Carlos drank Carlsberg.

Edited by Holmowl

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I'd better check my own contribution :ph34r:

It's ok. I may have implied he was a bit fat. I can live with that. 

can't se what all the fuss is about Hooper will do his job this season , you do not have scoring record like he does if you are  garbage , I still say it's down to supply  and it's the same with Rhodes ,they are proven goalscorers at this level  and i would't write them off just yet

Edited by trevdi9