Hooper

I really rate Hooper and he's a good option to have in the squad, but I'd like to see us set up in a 4-2-3-1 formation in order to get the best out of our creative midfield players...

Westwood

Palmer     Lees     Hutch     Pudil

Lee     Jones

Bannan     Abdi     Forestieri

Fletcher

...or swap Lee and Bannan if needs be.

He has proved throughout his career that he is a goalscorer. Given a run of games in a side creating chances and he will score. 

Doesn't look any different physically to when he was a worldbeater v Cardiff last year to me. His only weakness IMO is thst he needs a run of games to get up to speed.

He and Fletcher are by far our best pairing.

Seen some great performances from him where he links play well and gets on the end of chances. But then just as many where you barely notice he's playing. Seems to need to feel like his place in the team is not guaranteed to play well. And also needs someone to supply bullets for him. Not sure we have that player atm so Joao may get a few more games. That miss aside Joao's had a pretty decent start to the season, scoring at Cambridge and causing a lot of problems for championship defences.

Hooper is the kind of player you want on the pitch to take advantage when you're dominating the opposition, so perhaps was a mistake leaving him out at Brentford- he would have put one of those chances away I'm sure. But in an even game or when we're under the cosh I'd rather have any of our other strikers playing

3 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Based on what?

Wishful thinking.

Based on their link up play to date and record of being very good players who can score goals. It is a very long season and expect both score plenty before the end of the season.

6 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Perfectly highlights the issue with playing strikers like Hooper on a regular basis. It's why strikers of his ilk usually end up as squad players for the top teams.

We are not a top team, so for us, he should start.

1 minute ago, striker said:

Based on their link up play to date and record of being very good players who can score goals. It is a very long season and expect both score plenty before the end of the season.

Yep I agree. But don't stand in the way of a good old fashioned Owlstalk witch hunt 5 games into a season. It's tradition. 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We are not a top team, so for us, he should start.

Even if you think Hooper is good enough to be in our first 11 he has done absolutely nothing this season to justify selection.

I like Hooper, was very surprised by some of his link up play last season,  and of course enjoyed his goals but he has not looked fit enough to last longer than 45 mins   in games this season.

It is difficult to start somebody when you know he is only going to last until half time.

6 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I really rate Hooper and he's a good option to have in the squad, but I'd like to see us set up in a 4-2-3-1 formation in order to get the best out of our creative midfield players...

Westwood

Palmer     Lees     Hutch     Pudil

Lee     Jones

Bannan     Abdi     Forestieri

Fletcher

...or swap Lee and Bannan if needs be.

These creative midfield players. Who are they creating chances for?

Just now, Holmowl said:

Do you think there are enough goals there to be top six?

We won't know until we see the chemistry of the team in that setup, but I'd say it has potential, yes.

Forestieri would be cutting in from the left which is where most of his goals come from; Abdi would be able to pull the strings in the centre, from where he scored a goal for every 250 minutes of Championship football a couple of years back; Fletcher would benefit from having these players buzzing around him, setting up chances as well as running on to his flick-ons; and Lee would be able to burst from deep once in a while to join in the fun as well. It would also allow us to overload the midfield a bit more, hopefully adding to our defensive stability.

And what better option to be able to bring off the bench should it not be working than Hooper!?

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We won't know until we see the chemistry of the team in that setup, but I'd say it has potential, yes.

Forestieri would be cutting in from the left which is where most of his goals come from; Abdi would be able to pull the strings in the centre, from where he scored a goal for every 250 minutes of Championship football a couple of years back; Fletcher would benefit from having these players buzzing around him, setting up chances as well as running on to his flick-ons; and Lee would be able to burst from deep once in a while to join in the fun as well. It would also allow us to overload the midfield a bit more, hopefully adding to our defensive stability.

And what better option to be able to bring off the bench should it not be working than Hooper!?

One of my very favourite lines from my very favourite film is from Gregory's Girl "I could do with a persuasive pvrick like you in the organisation".

Sounds good.........but I would still pick No 14 every week stood alongside another scots hero of mine, Fletcher.

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

For those taking a major pop at Hooper for his poor 230 minutes this season.

Ross McCormack. 466 minutes. One goal.

Hooper will score shed loads. Always has.

45 goals in 118 championship games. 

His championship totals are

He's hardly the seasoned championship goal scorer you portray him as. Very useful squad player who score a decent amount, but he's no Jordan Rhodes.

21 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

45 goals in 118 championship games. 

His championship totals are

He's hardly the seasoned championship goal scorer you portray him as. Very useful squad player who score a decent amount, but he's no Jordan Rhodes.

19 in 35 for Scunny

12 in 30 for Norwich

13 in 29 for us

So 44 in 94

Imo that is one hell of an asset and one we should use far better. A strong season from Hooper is the difference between promotion and not imo. 

Edited by Holmowl

On 8/28/2016 at 11:55, torres said:

Near the end when it was a bit hectic the players were running their tails off - apart from him. 

Play him every week I've no doubt at all he'd score 20+ goals but we wouldn't finish top 6. He'd be the McCormack/Rhodes of the team.

20+ goals no doubt????? 

this is real football not football fantasy league - get real!:manager:

If he was a 20+ scorer Norwich wouldn't have binned him

If he was a 20+ scorer we wouldn't be slagging him off

or would we???