SUBS

PALMER

New CB?

SEMEDO

ABDI

KEAN

FLETCHER 

JOAO

Tried and tested starting 11 to get us underway. Don't think carlos likes throwing players straight in. This team played well against benfica and I think he will go with it.

Abdi will start.

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I suppose we could go with something like this:

Westwood

Hunt     Lees     Hutch     Pudil

Lee     Abdi     Bannan     Forestieri

Hooper     Fletcher

But I wouldn't be surprised to see something more akin to this at times:

Westwood

Hunt     Lees     Hutch     Pudil

Lee     Bannan     Abdi

Forestieri

Hooper     Fletcher

Equally, we could need to get used to having some outstanding players on the bench at times, which is what characterised the best teams in the division last season. Having the likes of Lee, Wallace and Hooper to bring on in certain games is certainly a prospect to be embraced!

I like the look of these and also feel that our midfielders are interchangeable - I'd not be surprised to see Abdi behind strikers or pop out on the right at times. 

Assuming we don't bring anybody else in and don't pick up any new injuries, I'd go with...

Westwood

Hunt                          Hutchinson                         Lees                          Pudil

Bannan                         Abdi                      Lee

Forestieri

Hooper                            Fletcher

That side is in my opinion good enough to beat Villa on the opening day and gives us a strong bench which will include Joao, Nuhiu, Matias and Wallace.

Westwood

Hunt    Lees   Hutchinson Pudil

Lee   Bannan

Matias   Abdi   Forestieri

Fletcher

4-2-3-1, think thats our best side but would have fessis and matias swapping sides to see how we fare best

imagine a 4-1-4-1 with the 4 in behind the lone striker having a 'free role' & the freedom to swap positions.

Westwood

hunt

lees

new CB

Pudil

Hutchinson

Lee

Abdi

Bannan

FF

Fletcher/Hooper

would love to see this but it's most likely to be used away from home.

With no further arrivals, and even if we get someone in, it's unlikely that they'd start, I predict this line up if the injuries to Joao, Hunt and Hutchinson, don't clear up

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Semedo

Pudil

Wallace

Lee

Bannan

Abdi

Forestieri

Fletcher

Subs

Kean

Clare

Sougou

Matias

Helan

Nuhiu

Hooper

Just now, Davidioso said:

Without wishing to appear a complete knobhead, why is there no mention Loovens?

Be kind, I haven't logged in all summer and don't live in Sheffield!!!!!!!

Could someone bring me up to date with ins&outs&injured, thx

Injured

On 30 July 2016 at 18:08, TrickyTrev said:

Assuming we don't bring anybody else in and don't pick up any new injuries, I'd go with...

Westwood

Hunt                          Hutchinson                         Lees                          Pudil

Bannan                         Abdi                      Lee

Forestieri

Hooper                            Fletcher

That side is in my opinion good enough to beat Villa on the opening day and gives us a strong bench which will include Joao, Nuhiu, Matias and Wallace.

That's mine if Hunt& Hutch are fit.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

With no further arrivals, and even if we get someone in, it's unlikely that they'd start, I predict this line up if the injuries to Joao, Hunt and Hutchinson, don't clear up

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Semedo

Pudil

Wallace

Lee

Bannan

Abdi

Forestieri

Fletcher

Subs

Kean

Clare

Sougou

Matias

Helan

Nuhiu

Hooper

Probably right.

Today has only reinforced what I've been banging on about for the last 6/7 months, Forestieri needs to be up top. We looked much better 2nd half when he went up top. He looked more interested and got on the ball a lot more. 

Hooper wasn't great. Didn't look interested and spent most of the first half offside. Fletcher on the other hand looked class. Impressive link up play, first touch always brilliant, looked strong and was also willing to run the channels. Going to a great signing I reckon. 

Fletcher/FF could be a lethal pairing.

Abdi looks a class act and will probably be effective in any role across midfield. 

Westwood

hunt if fit or palmer

leed

hutch if fit or semedo 

pudil

Wallace

bannan

lee

abdi (all interchanging)

forestieri (interchanging too)

fletcher

i think hooper will be our leading goals scorer this year but you can't argue with form so forestieri plays there for me 

you can't drop Wallace or Lee 

as as good as a pre season Mathias may have had he's still not good enough to get

into the starting 11 so he makes a strong bench 

I think one thing a given if the strongest form of defence is attack there is not one team in this division that will want to play us and I include Newcastle in that.

8 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Probably right.

Today has only reinforced what I've been banging on about for the last 6/7 months, Forestieri needs to be up top. We looked much better 2nd half when he went up top. He looked more interested and got on the ball a lot more. 

Hooper wasn't great. Didn't look interested and spent most of the first half offside. Fletcher on the other hand looked class. Impressive link up play, first touch always brilliant, looked strong and was also willing to run the channels. Going to a great signing I reckon. 

Fletcher/FF could be a lethal pairing.

Abdi looks a class act and will probably be effective in any role across midfield. 

You are wasting a goalscorer there.

Forestieri will score the same if not more goals coming in from wider. By playing him wider you get his goals AND Hooper's 25.

No-one else gives us the goals from wide that Fernando does, but we do have someone in Hooper who will score centrally.

For me:-

Obvious back 5

Then any 3 from Wallace Lee Bannan Abdi, with Fernando left.

Fletcher and Hooper.

But only one person knows. I'm very intrigued to find out next Sunday.

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You are wasting a goalscorer there.

Forestieri will score the same if not more goals coming in from wider. By playing him wider you get his goals AND Hooper's 25.

No-one else gives us the goals from wide that Fernando does, but we do have someone in Hooper who will score centrally.

For me:-

Obvious back 5

Then any 3 from Wallace Lee Bannan Abdi, with Fernando left.

Fletcher and Hooper.

But only one person knows. I'm very intrigued to find out next Sunday.

Did you go today?

Hooper looked poor. Didn't get anything going with Fletcher while FF was stuck out wide and did very little himself.

2nd half Hooper off, FF up top, Abdi wide left - suddenly we looked a fluid attacking side with FF far more interested and influential. Really don't think he wants to play wide left.

On 28/07/2016 at 21:59, Birley Owl 1867 said:

As it stands

Westwood

Hunt - Lees - Hutchinson - Pudil

Lee - Abdi - Bannan

Wallace - Fletcher - Forestieri

Seems a bit daft to drop Hooper, but I can't get a front two without dropping Lee or Bannan, Forestieri is better out wide and I can't see a reason why we'd drop Wallace either right now. Looking at that though, a CB and a RM and it looks very good for top 2 that!

After today, its clear to me that as well as Forestieri and Bannan being integral to the team, so is Ross Wallace. He has to start, and so does Abdi as his relationship with Bannan and Forestieri is just gonna get stronger and stronger.

Would play that team now. I can see us signing a new CB by Sunday tho, and perhaps he will come in for Hutchinson but we'll see.

FF in behind the strikers everyday for me.

in my opinion his best performances & majority of goals have come from playing on the left. 

giving him a free role seems ideal with him playing deeper he sees more of the ball, makes things happen, runs at the defence & is always looking for that 1-2 before cutting in.

Edited by richowl

6 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Did you go today?

Hooper looked poor. Didn't get anything going with Fletcher while FF was stuck out wide and did very little himself.

2nd half Hooper off, FF up top, Abdi wide left - suddenly we looked a fluid attacking side with FF far more interested and influential. Really don't think he wants to play wide left.

No. I'm feeding alligators in Florida too.

I wouldn't make any observations on one match. Hooper scored two goals in Portugal, and as we all know he will bag 25 goals if played regularly. I prefer to think of his Cardiff performance rather than his Port Vale friendly still getting fit performance.

And even Fessi, he plays where the manager tells him to play. In any case, in the 9 games he played left last season he played like a god, and nothing like someone who didn't want to be there.

I maintain, we want Hoopers goals and Fessi's goals. Not either/or.