Jack Hunt

Do people actually think that Palmer is better in any way shape of form than Hunt?  Seriously?

Don't think anyone, other than perhaps the OP who said he could be better defensively, has said that in this thread?

Palmer plays better with an adequate winger in front of him.

Suffered a lot last season when Maguire/Maghoma played in front of him as they didn't track their full back on the overlap. Same thing happens with Sougou.

Don't get be wrong, he was shuffle against Boro and made some poor individual errors. But he's rusty in terms of 'match sharpness' & does play better when he has a competent winger in front of him. 

I would hope that he and Wallace can cope with whatever threat Fulham possess on the left flank. 

Team news should be relayed through official club communications (usually Carlos obviously) not players sending tweets out.

Not right

I agree with that and I wouldn't think Carlos and the coaching staff would be too happy at effectively telling Fulham in advance who will be playing at right-back. However, maybe it's all mind games and Hunt will be making the trip tomorrow?

Relax people

No opposing team would change their plans due to that tweet.

Regardless, they'll have assessed both Palmer and Hunt

Very true but knowing which approach they need to adopt ahead of schedule will surely help them.

Seeing as Plamer does not get a good run in the team he does ok, yes he had a poor game on monday, but so did every one else in that 1st half.

We are suffering from having an unsettled defence this season, compared to last season, and the open style of football we play.

We have always been liable to concede goals this season, 1.4 goals a game, no matter who we play at right back.

He's an adequate back up no doubt and he's done really well to adapt to playing there because otherwise he'd be playing in League 1/2 in a midfield.  But he's nowhere near good enough to dislodge Hunt from the team when fit.  That's what we need sat on the bench really, someone who can slot in seamlessly.

Yep ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Peoples opinions of Palmer been better defensively shows how weak we are in the RFB position. Palmer isn't a championship player. Very early does he get the better of the attacking left sided opponent!!

Spot on. It's all about opinions but I don't see why it should be so difficult for us to find full backs who are naturally comfortable in this position. First priority has to be able to defend. After that the ability to link with the winger and cross a ball, but I'm not convinced Hunt or Palmer are good enough in both departments.

Not a fan of footballers having twitter full stop.

Seems to always generate more bad than good.

Wasn't someone sending abuse to FF the other day about not starting at middlesborough..?

As for Hunt. Offers more going forward, but not convinced with either of our full backs at actually defending - Which is fine when we're at home. But is obviously not so good when we're away and clearly going to have to soak up some pressure.

Edited by Lord Snooty

He's really not as catastrophically bad as some are making out on here...

Come the end of the season we should look to recruit a better backup to replace him, but he's not awful

Better back up? I hope we go out and get a better right back than both of them. Would like someone of Pudil's calibre in that position.

I don't think there's much between Palmer and Hunt. When he's on song, Hunt is pretty impressive going forward, but yes I do think Palmer is marginally better at defending. We'll use this season to have a look at them both, but I certainly wouldn't write either of them off just yet. Some of you are thinking too conventionally here, I don't think any of our full backs were signed, primarily for their defensive attributes, Hunt, Palmer, Pudil and Wiggins have all played further forward and were brought in to provide width from the full back areas.