Autistic owls

There was a thread on here about a year about taking kids with autism to the match. I felt inspired reading the various comments, so much so that I got Luke (hes13) his first season ticket.

It was a bit tricky at first, but he now comfortably lasts the whole match.

Don't get me wrong, he doesn't follow the match, but like most things, we keep doing it enough and he starts to get it...it may take until next season or longer, but he loves going to the match.

What's more (and I hate to say because it will wee wee tail it up.......but it's got to happen some time...) he has still never seen us lose...12 matches in total now.

I'd love to hear how fellow autistic owls are doing

There was a thread on here about a year about taking kids with autism to the match. I felt inspired reading the various comments, so much so that I got Luke (hes13) his first season ticket.

It was a bit tricky at first, but he now comfortably lasts the whole match.

Don't get me wrong, he doesn't follow the match, but like most things, we keep doing it enough and he starts to get it...it may take until next season or longer, but he loves going to the match.

What's more (and I hate to say because it will wee wee tail it up.......but it's got to happen some time...) he has still never seen us lose...12 matches in total now.

I'd love to hear how fellow autistic owls are doing

Great story that, warmed my heart.

Studying Childhood at University and just completed a module on Autism. Obviously completely different studying something theoretically and actually living with a child with autism day in and day out & having to deal with stuff like taking him to football. I can only assume it's all about sticking to a routine on match day that he's used to?

Keep at it :)

My son is also autistic and when he first started going to games at age 10 he found it really daunting and was scared stiff. After about two more games and a tour of the ground he really settled but still found it hard to keep seated and focused on the game. For his first season I think I spent more time wandering around the ground with him than actually watching the games.

Now 14 he's had his own season ticket for 2 years and going to games is now in his routeen. It still wobbles him when the season finishes because it's a change for him so we take him to the ground then go to the park for a kick around.