Hooper

Although I can't see this happening, Hooper would be a fantastic signing.

For whatever reason, he was a bit-part player at Norwich last year & rarely completed 90 minutes, so he'd need 3-4 games to get match fit but his goals to minutes on the pitch ratio was phenomenal, something like a goal every 120 minutes. Add in assists as well & I don't think you'll get much better at this level. Not unless you have £9 million knocking about anyway.

If we could get Hooper fully fit & firing I reckon the top 6 would be very achievable. Getting a signing of his quality in or not could make or break our season IMO.

I don't think he's ideal, but I don't think we're prepared to pay the going rate for the type of striker we need. Would imagine Hooper has enough qualities to paper over some of his shortcomings, and he's certainly an upgrade on what we have. Glad we won't be buying him though.

Guest TommyTank

People banging on about pace, i agree to an extent but why not stick Helan up top? Its not just about pace.

Its correct that we don't need a 6ft 5inch striker either, they tend to be immobile.

We have to look at teams who have been successful playing the 4-2-3-1, my first thought is Man City, I appreciate they are Prem champs and Champions league regulars but we need to convert that style to the Championship.

Aguero is outstanding, he's a constant threat, why?

Because he's busy and nippy rather than being all about pace, his movement is intelligent and gives players like Silva an option between defenders.

He brings others in and he creates his own chances, this is what we need but at Championship level, can Gary Hooper be the Championships Aguero??

People banging on about pace, i agree to an extent but why not stick Helan up top? Its not just about pace.

Its correct that we don't need a 6ft 5inch striker either, they tend to be immobile.

We have to look at teams who have been successful playing the 4-2-3-1, my first thought is Man City, I appreciate they are Prem champs and Champions league regulars but we need to convert that style to the Championship.

Aguero is outstanding, he's a constant threat, why?

Because he's busy and nippy rather than being all about pace, his movement is intelligent and gives players like Silva an option between defenders.

He brings others in and he creates his own chances, this is what we need but at Championship level, can Gary Hooper be the Championships Aguero??

Aguero is the exception to the rule, most clubs playing this system will use a striker who has some physical presence Not all 6-5 strikers are Immobile As for Hooper, I'm not sure he can play the role, but, as others have said, he did it rather successfully for Celtic. He's better than our current options and he has enough decent attributes to cover any shortcomings

Guest TommyTank

Aguero is the exception to the rule, most clubs playing this system will use a striker who has some physical presence Not all 6-5 strikers are Immobile As for Hooper, I'm not sure he can play the role, but, as others have said, he did it rather successfully for Celtic. He's better than our current options and he has enough decent attributes to cover any shortcomings

Liverpool had a very dangerous front 3 of Suarez, Sturridge and Stirling, neither of them are a physical presence.

Barcelona with Suarez, Messi and Neymar.

The list goes on, Rooney did it well.

I know Im talking top, top players so it is slightly false.

There is nothing to suggest that this system won't work if you get the front 3 right.

Liverpool had a very dangerous front 3 of Suarez, Sturridge and Stirling, neither of them are a physical presence.

Barcelona with Suarez, Messi and Neymar.

The list goes on, Rooney did it well.

I know Im talking top, top players so it is slightly false.

There is nothing to suggest that this system won't work if you get the front 3 right.

I agree, and I think we have 2 out of the 3, in Sougou and Matias, maybe 3 out of 3 long term, with Joao. For now though, we need to find the best player to complement the other two, rather than the best goalscorer. Great of course, if they were one and the same