The Owls vs Reading. Official Matchday Thread.

Did you know that biscuits were invented in Reading?

In the days of the Vikings the area was ruled by Gunnår Obnob. After a hard day of ferociously swinging his battle axe at anyone who so much as looked at him funny, he liked to relax in the evening by baking a few trays of rugged, crumbly biscuits. They quickly became a hit amongst his warriors and hundreds of years later are still the single most popular biscuits in the world.

As William Wallace’s tartan hordes later made their violent forays down south, the recipe was captured by men desperate for something other than bloody oatcakes again. Production moved to the Highlands and was taken over by the McVitie clan.

Back in Reading it’s suddenly 1856 and the bakers, Huntley and Palmer team up to invent the Jammy Dodger, Custard Cream, Bourbon and the Rich Tea - a remarkably plain and boring biscuit which actually managed to knock Hob Nobs off the top spot for a while. Its success mostly due to being queen Victoria’s favourite accompaniment to a nice sit down and a cup of tea. But after a particularly bad summer at the beginning of the 20th century, the wheat harvest failed. The inevitable resulting flour shortage was responsible for their demise and the factory was forced to make hundreds of employees redundant.

To pass the time waiting for their dole cheques, the bored workers decided to start a football club and that’s how we come to be playing them today.

I9yg5SV.png

THE SERIOUS BIT

LRAQncV.png

Venue: Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield
Kick Off: Wednesday, 19th of August, 2015

Matchday Apparel: Loose and light in blue and white. Weather picking up again.

Matchday Drink: Pints!

Matchday Pie: Royale with cheese.

Matchday Song: It’s A New Day by James Brown…

MATCHDAY FACTS

Sheffield Wednesday keeper Joe Wildsmith will make his first league start for the club after Keiren Westwood injured his kidneys. Carlos Carvalhal will give late tests to skipper Glenn Loovens and Sam Hutchinson, who have knocks.

Reading are waiting for clearance on Spanish midfielder Alex Fernandez, who is on loan from Espanyol. Peru winger Paolo Hurtado is now working on his match fitness after receiving his work permit.

M02y1er.png Head to Head ts3gkkL.png

• The Owls have won three of their last four league matches against the Royals, losing the other.
• Reading lost this exact fixture 1-0 last season, the first time they had failed to score on their travels to Hillsborough.
• No Championship side has attempted more shots from their opening two games in 2015-16 than the Royals (27), although they have only scored once so far.
• The Owls have lost only one of their last six at Hillsborough, winning two and drawing three.

0dlyKCC.png

MINTYNESS

Look at this massive owl. Look at it! It is just a bit bigger than Taylor Swift. 

t4aqm4n.gif

A brilliant and Historical piece and a bigger let down for the whole world, far bigger than Readings mediocre form against the Owls...Is there inability to solve the extremely scientific problem of the biscuit that can withstand the rigours of surviving the harrowing treatment of being dipped into a hot drink.

Seriously last nights multiple flop ( Many, many draws) presents an opportunity to re register in the coveted top 6 places of the league. Without nerves I'm sure we can do it but I feel after Saturday we maybe a little twitchy so personally I'm very fearful of a little whoopsy.

Fingers crossed for a repeat of that 66 game...3-2 to us.   

The UK headquarters of the lift manufacturer Otis are in Reading. If they don't answer their phones with 'Otis, Reading' then I will be having words.

Nowhere near as good as Schindler's Lifts though.

Did you hear that one on the Grapevine?

Right...first things first. Cheers Pauli, great work as per.

Morning everyone, hope you're keeping well. 

This match is going to give us an even better idea of where we are following the Ipswich loss. If we have serious ambitions of being anywhere near playoffs, a win is a must. That is in no way meant to be slagging off Reading. A loss doesn't mean it's all over, especially if we play well but, it may indicate a need to rethink our plans. For now, I'm expecting us to win this, we are good enough if we show up and execute.

tumblr_inline_nq1wluWSqg1tvxwbj_500.gif

Excellent thread again Pauli (I assume - still never read one, too long, but others say they're great, and I have no reason to doubt).

We shouldn't take Reading too lightly, they're a good side.

Reading 0 Owls 7 (Nuhiu 3, Helan 3, JJ).

Unfortunately, won't catch the game cos the wife's arranged a bleeding trip to Discovery Cove to swim with bleeding dolphins.

Don't expect to look good in a wet suit, though I am thinking of shoving an extra pair of socks in the crotch area, and neither do I bleeding swim! Going to look foooooking daft waving from the periphery, on dry land, in a bloody wet suit.

Plus, I don't even like bloody dolphins. Divorce threatened if I miss more quality time with the family to listen to a football commentary on t'radio for a crap team (her words not mine).

Sorry lads but it'll have to be a lucky pre-match dump, rather than a lucky half time dump this time, though my heart and soul will be with you. Suspect having a dump mid-wet suit would prove tricky.

I'll be glad when this bleeding holiday is over. Only another week to go now. Give me UK any day. Sod being abroad.

UTO, FTB, WTID, WAWAW? FTD (Fooook the dolphins).

Edited by theowlsman