Never been one to judge preseason but I think we will have a slow start this year

Pre- season is a chance to get an idea of what style ur going to play, who ur going to play in terms of players and to correct any issues

Defensively we look shocking compared to last season, consistently using the same defenders in most friendlies and continuing. To make the same mistakes game after game, friendly or not cannot be doing the players confidence any good

Players regardless want to win a match matter of the nature of the game

I'm not 1 usually to judge preseason but trust me we are in a spot of bother unless he gets this right quick

Imo the next game is crucial at hillsborough and I for one will be having a bet on a Wednesday win

He has to see improvement on the next game or it could be a slow start to the season regardless of what anyone says

they should play games behind closed doors so the coach can experiment etc with the squad however he likes.

Just take a look at the scores this summer from similar matches to last night. The club from the higher division struggles to get results.

Don't ask me why but year in year out this is the case.

Bristol City at home is THE game to judge the result & performance.

If we are crap then we all have the right to have a moan. But come on pre season games are glorified training sessions.

I can't see CC lasting the season. In fact he'll be gone by Christmas. I hope not - hope we play good attacking football without conceding too many.

I'm not too bothered about results pre season - having said that results build confidence and I'm a little concerned.

Of course we could turn up against Bristol and blown them out of the water. Then Everything will be fine.

I can't see CC lasting the season. In fact he'll be gone by Christmas. I hope not - hope we play good attacking football without conceding too many.

I'm not too bothered about results pre season - having said that results build confidence and I'm a little concerned.

Of course we could turn up against Bristol and blown them out of the water. Then Everything will be fine.

I agree - mentioned before, we have the makings of a pretty decent squad ..just not sure if CC is the man to get it to work, or more importantly he won't get the time.

I think we will be ok but the results with come with someone else in charge

results and performances aren't the same. This is is slight issue at the minute for me. I'm not bothered about the results they mean nothing but I want to be encouraged by decent team and individual performances and tbh there's not a lot to be over enthusiastic about at present. Things can change and when 'things matter' but as has been said it cant do anyone's confidence any good to be playing poorly at this stage especially defenders who I must say in the two pre season games I've seen ours have looked poor both individually and as a unit.

I agree we could be in for a slow start, but that's hardly surprising considering the turnover of players, and the protracted period when the structures were put in place. Don't read too much into the friendlies, as has been said, they're primarily about fitness. We do seem to be 2 or 3 weeks behind everyone else though.

...slow, steady development. Never going to happen overnight and we have a long tough season ahead...the players and management will be working to a plan that won't be about pushing 100% before the season starts. Friendlies and just that...friendlies...maybe we invest too much expectation into them with regards results but I'm sure the coaching staff will know what each game is for.

IMO it will take a good half dozen competitive games before we start to see the squad and performances settle down. 

Don't expect too much too soon, as Saxondale said new manger new system and players all takes time.

However, I'm sure there will be the obligatory melt down on here if we lose to Bristol. 

Edited by Corneliusreeve

I agree with much of what has been said. I expect a slow start with players unfamiliar with one another and, more importantly, the rough and tumble of the championship (in the case of the imports).

Bristol City to win next Saturday could be a decent bet.

Yes the start of the season's come about two weeks too early for us. Be surprised, but thrilled, if we are able to hit the ground running against Bristol, or should I say, City (we ought to remember our dislike of southern journo's when they refer to us as Sheffield) Depends I suppose, on what we can do in the transfer market before then. We might just have enough individual quality, that will paper over any disjointed team performance. Who knows, but I'm in it for the long haul, and fully prepared for a slow start

New manager , new players, new system and style, it's not going to click overnight. When he gets his strongest eleven out against Bristol we will be fine.

Erm. Thought that was our strongest eleven last night. Wallace and mcgugan are excellent additions. Not at all sure about the rest.

Trouble is that if it doesn't click ovrnight we will be in trouble. Last night you couldn't tell which was the championship side.

Look I'm not going to say what I've seen is good so far but against Scunny 1st half there were periods of ok and possession plusses so it is coming.

Takes time with all the changes and remember no player wants to get injured.

Impossible to judge without competitive, meaningful games.

Edited by Triple O

Our Pre-season record so far, is as follows :-

P 5  W 1  D 2  L 2  GF 6  GA 8 "Pts" 5

This would be a mid-table finish at best, and before I am inundated with accusations of being a doom and gloom merchant, and having it spelled out to me that these are only pre-season friendlies, please consider the following facts.

1. With the possible exception of Braga all these sides were from lower divisions than ourselves, two being non-league teams.

2. These games were just as much "friendlies" to the other teams as they were to us, and their players have no more desire to  

be injured than do ours.

I want us to be successful as much as anyone else does, but the current stats are rather worrying. The St Mirren performance will give us a better idea of our readiness for the new season, but if the result isn't to our liking, please remember it's only a friendly to St Mirren as well.

The game following won't be.

Edited by dumboldowl

Erm. Thought that was our strongest eleven last night. Wallace and mcgugan are excellent additions. Not at all sure about the rest.

Trouble is that if it doesn't click ovrnight we will be in trouble. Last night you couldn't tell which was the championship side.

Not sure if it was our strongest - think Melo will start when fit, we will need him to protect the back 4 when we don't have the ball - they look very exposed art the moment.

We are ok going forwards, just need to sort out our shape when we are defending - Lees and Loovens haven't become bad overnight.

It needs tweaking but I don't expect us to be ready for Bristol City who I expect to win tbh

I wouldn't have thought Palmer and Helan would be his first choice. Or Nuhiu. And I don't think we are allowed to make 7 subs in the league either.