Lucas Joao

If Hooper comes here - I would suggest if a permanent transfer of at least 4m - what makes you think he wouldn't be starting

Would he fit into the system is another question and perfectly valid but if he did sign it wouldn't be on the premise that he wasn't anything other than a first team starter

Only the issue of whether he'd fit into the system. He isn't ideal in the system that Norwich play, which I'm thinking is how we will mainly set up. Like Norwich, occasionally we might try another system, which is where Hooper come in at Norwich. Ideally we might like someone like him, to change the shape, or add an extra goal threat when we're chasing the game, but would he come on that basis? Probably not, and we may be better using the less experienced May or Bus in that role

Only the issue of whether he'd fit into the system. He isn't ideal in the system that Norwich play, which I'm thinking is how we will mainly set up. Like Norwich, occasionally we might try another system, which is where Hooper come in at Norwich. Ideally we might like someone like him, to change the shape, or add an extra goal threat when we're chasing the game, but would he come on that basis? Probably not, and we may be better using the less experienced May or Bus in that role

I might add to that, if we are in for Joao to lead the line, then it would be even more important to get someone of Hoopers experience into the group, as we'd have five relatively inexperienced strikers

Guest s11 owl

formations? any one think we will revert to kick and rush/ hit and hope?, its  every other formation in disguise

and very popular

I don't think I could think of a centre forward we've had for a long time that would be less suited to this role than May

I think May will be history very soon his face just won't fit.

Well if May can't contribute from the bench, you might be right, it's time for him to go

Kenwyne Jones had spells where he completely dominated defences on his own last season. We need that kind of player and its not surprising that we have been looking at tall and strong strikers like this.

off the OP  but KJ really impressed with his spell, here i wish we'd had the funds to buy him when i think we maybe could've

Guest UpTheOwlsss

I'm afraid May just does not have the attributes to be successful at this level. His distinct lack of pace is his biggest drawback but he just looks like a kid against grown men.

I pretty much agree with this tbh

I hope he proves me wrong though

Obviously we are not going to get a player of this standard but Drogba was the dream centre forward for this role.

Physically as strong as an ox, good in air, pacey and could finish. Can we find a poor mans Drogba?

(And he's just signed for a Canadian team before we get any ideas)

Let's hope so! It's a lot to hope of a 21 year old, though.

In addition to his physical and technical attributes, Drogba was also an incredibly intelligent footballer who developed a great instinct for making the best decision in any given situation. He knew when to hold the ball up, when to go it alone, when to lay it off etc...

But he wasn't born with these instincts; they're the kind of skills which develop over time, after many years of coaching, practice, and natural maturation. It's easy to forget that Drogba was 21 when he signed his first professional contract, and he didn't join Chelsea until he was 27. If we do sign a 21 year old to lead the line for us, I hope we're prepared to take the rough with the smooth and not expect the finished article for a few seasons yet.

Stevie May will be one of those players we debate for a few years. Great goal return in a poor league BUT he is still young, still raw and played in a woeful attacking side last season. He has much better players behind him this time around, certainly deserves another season. He will be a hero or a zero nothing in-between.

Stick by him for now!

On a side note, he must have hit the woodwork 7-8 times last season and had at least 3 goals unfairly disallowed. Not saying that this makes him better but just a tad unlucky!!!

Edited by WayneTheOwl

Just my opinion from what I've seen. He looks slow and weak.

What are you seeing?

He's not quick, but he's not slow. No problem with his speed, but he is surprisingly weak. That's his main problem.

I agree completely with anyone who thinks he's not much use in a 433, but 442 with the right partner, he'd score plenty at this level imo

I pretty much agree with this tbh

I hope he proves me wrong though

Yep... we will keep nuhui as he adds that 'something different'. Lavery will stay as he clearly has talent. That leaves stevie May, who frankly just didn't show enough despite starting many games for us.

Big big season for Lavery... I have a feeling, however, we won't give him as many chances as he needs to really develop into the player he is capable of. We can't just putting him on loan neither.

I'm afraid May just does not have the attributes to be successful at this level. His distinct lack of pace is his biggest drawback but he just looks like a kid against grown men.

So what did Stuart Jones and Steve Evans actually see in lad to want to splash out 800k?? 

What I've seen so far of Bus he's not much better either, the miss other night when he collapsed like Devon Loch when clear on goal was very poor.

Edited by bradowl

This. In this league you either need skill, pace or physicality to be successful up front. Nuhiu has skill (in patches) and physicality, Lavery has skill, we haven't seen enough of bus yet but he looks strong. May?...I'm struggling.

This. In this league you either need skill, pace or physicality to be successful up front. Nuhiu has skill (in patches) and physicality, Lavery has skill, we haven't seen enough of bus yet but he looks strong. May?...I'm struggling.

He's a goalscorer. Which Nuhiu, Bus and Lavery have yet to show at ANY level yet. Just needs the right system and partner