Positive Carlos needs a war chest

We now have a squad of 15 players I think it is. Out of those I'd say 2 (Lees and Westwood) will walk into any championship team. If we're to run with a squad of 20-22 players the remaining 5-7 need to be top drawer be it long term loans or permanent signings with a proven pedigree. I'm talking about promotion if your happy with mid table what we're doing will possibly get us there

I think your right here to be honest. The players we have brought in were not regulars at their team. Im sure they will do well for us though due to the different style they can bring to our team hopefully replicating Watfords foreign style.

However it is a gamble and if they do not settle we are in big trouble. Its important we get the right start and I would like to see around 3 high quality, proven, experienced championship players.

I understand why we have gone abroad to buy but I do not think this is all we should be doing it should be 50/50 and have a balanced squad.

Its not a complaint that "we are not Derby".

More a statement that they are the benchmark and that we need to match them on quality over the next few signings, because they are going to be hitting the ground running as will several others.

Chansiri wants to be successful as soon as possible.

Its not a complaint that "we are not Derby".

More a statement that they are the benchmark and that we need to match them on quality over the next few signings, because they are going to be hitting the ground running as will several others.

Chansiri wants to be successful as soon as possible.

Ok the point I was making was we don't need to match Derby to still be a good team and get promoted. And yes Chansiri wants to be successful as soon as possible so I think it's a safe bet we'll be signing some good attacking players before the season starts in 6 weeks

Umm but they didn't sign Gray so that's not really relevant. And we still don't know if we will be making signings at £2-3 million, just because the two players we've signed so far didn't cost much doesn't mean we aren't currently negotiating larger transfers with clubs. People should just sit back and see what actually happens before complaining that we are not Derby

It was the ambition and intent really, but I think Bournemouth are a good example for us to follow. I'm totally happy with the two players we've signed, and Bournemouth were also very shrewd with their free/low cost dealings, only paying out big fees for young talent with good resale potential. No the lack of activity, doesn't mean negotiations for big money transfers are not going on, given the owners ambition, I would presume they are.

we've lost Zayatte,Buxton and Mattock.ALL three pretty average. Replacing them so far, with a lad from Braga and a lad from Fc Twente.I wouldnt say that's a backward step. It's about strength in depth. Hopefully a couple of bigger signings will be on their way which will hopefully include a forward and a winger. It's early days.Plus the fact that we had no manager/head coach isn't attractive to a player.Hopefully things will progress now CC has been appointed.

A few comments - all my opinion of course -

Carlos is here on a consultancy basis to set up the new [his] philosophy involving a change in coaching & mid week training methods preparing players in their respective disciplines for games to play with intensity in possession & team organization in defence.

Its about one touch football with zonal passages of play and zonal marking etc.

Its about intelligent play and ensuring there is always an option to pass quickly and positively.

CC uses a 4-3-3 formation which in reality is a 2-3-4-1 with a CB set on each corner of the box; wing-backs with a CM and wingers with the forward sitting up front to occupy their CBs.

Its about pulling the opposition towards you, pinning them & taking them out of the game and exploiting space quickly. Playing out from the back and comfortable to play along the back with the goalkeeper if need be.

For this to work, you need technically good and intelligent players - not ones who will panic and hoof the ball or run down blind alleys with no options to pass and progress - perhaps the signings to date are these type of players - reliable and used to this style? Players who will do as instructed for the good of the team.

You need workrate but without the headless chicken mentality - players need to be in known positions in attack and recovery.

The need for a CM with vision and pin point passing is essential to play to feet and into space.

The forward is not there just to score but to free up space behind - Nuhiu is a perfect fit. Its the quality of the attacking players behind that is essential - are willing runners like Lavery & May good enough in this role - IMO no.

Its along time since I saw one touch football at S6 without the move breaking down just when it mattered.

It will take time for the players to absorb the system so patience will be needed and we need to back them even when we can see what they are trying to do.

Total football.

Edited by Flat Owl

we've lost Zayatte,Buxton and Mattock.ALL three pretty average. Replacing them so far, with a lad from Braga and a lad from Fc Twente.I wouldnt say that's a backward step. It's about strength in depth. Hopefully a couple of bigger signings will be on their way which will hopefully include a forward and a winger. It's early days.Plus the fact that we had no manager/head coach isn't attractive to a player.Hopefully things will progress now CC has been appointed.

We have signed a couple of very inexperienced reserve players who could turn out to be good.

But the championship can be pretty unforgiving for a defender if you don't hit the required standard.

As for hoping we will sign some bigger signings, we have no evidence that will be the case.

The signings so far, have all been bargain basement value signings. Sure some will turn out to be gems. But as a policy for getting promotion, its more long-term than short.

A few comments - all my opinion of course -

Carlos is here on a consultancy basis to set up the new [his] philosophy involving a change in coaching & mid week training methods preparing players in their respective disciplines for games to play with intensity in possession & team organization in defence.

Its about one touch football with zonal passages of play and zonal marking etc.

Its about intelligent play and ensuring there is always an option to pass quickly and positively.

CC uses a 4-3-3 formation which in reality is a 2-3-4-1 with a CB set on each corner of the box; wing-backs with a CM and wingers with the forward sitting up front to occupy their CBs.

Its about pulling the opposition towards you, pinning them & taking them out of the game and exploiting space quickly. Playing out from the back and comfortable to play along the back with the goalkeeper if need be.

For this to work, you need technically good and intelligent players - not ones who will panic and hoof the ball or run down blind alleys with no options to pass and progress - perhaps the signings to date are these type of players - reliable and used to this style? Players who will do as instructed for the good of the team.

You need workrate but without the headless chicken mentality - players need to be in known positions in attack and recovery.

The need for a CM with vision and pin point passing is essential to play to feet and into space.

The forward is not there just to score but to free up space behind - Nuhiu is a perfect fit. Its the quality of the attacking players behind that is essential - are willing runners like Lavery & May good enough in this role - IMO no.

Its along time since I saw one touch football at S6 without the move breaking down just when it mattered.

It will take time for the players to absorb the system so patience will be needed and we need to back them even when we can see what they are trying to do.

Total football.

Total football requires quality players.

Proper quality. 

If you don't have that its better to keep it tight like Gray did- otherwise you get mullered.

My only concern is that we need someone in addition to Roeder, in the set up with an in-depth knowledge of the teams and players in this division to allow CC to adapt the midweek training to individual teams.

Oh and of course David Silva and Ibrahimovic would slot in nicely...

Agree OP. If he thinks we're going to be anywhere near the top 6 signing reserve players of no mark European teams he is wrong.

CC or the committee whichever it maybe needs to start signing some proper quality and remember quality attracts quality and makes the rest if the league stand up and take notice

There's an argument that that is exactly what we are and have been for the past 15 years.  Just sayin'...

You need technically good players who will do as instructed Beholder.

How many times over previous seasons have we seen our own players and 'quality' loans come to this club and be left without service or holding the ball with no-one to pass to quickly and easily or players not keeping up with play or being in the wrong position?

This isn't about individual ability taking on a man and getting to the by-line hoping that you can cross it properly hoping someone can get on the end of it. Its about simple options being available to make positive progress from the back to midfield and then the last 1/3rd.

Embrace it man - you might like it.

You need technically good players who will do as instructed Beholder.

How many times over previous seasons have we seen our own players and 'quality' loans come to this club and be left without service or holding the ball with no-one to pass to quickly and easily or players not keeping up with play or being in the wrong position?

This isn't about individual ability taking on a man and getting to the by-line hoping that you can cross it properly hoping someone can get on the end of it. Its about simple options being available to make positive progress from the back to midfield and then the last 1/3rd.

Embrace it man - you might like it.

I'm all for it. I've always favoured the pro-football managers. 

I remember how we played in the early 90's. If we create loads of chances and score goals I'll be happy as Larry.

I do think need the players to carry it off though. Otherwise you get a kind of 'first 2 thirds total football', which is seriously boring to watch. Or you get what we got under Jones which was pretty crap too. I guess it needs a really good coach to get it going- like when we had Burton.

Some of the one touch football during the early 80's was devastating under Wilkinson.

We got slammed for a long ball game by the media but in reality it was fast, strong and direct - always with an option.

Plenty of goals coming from midfield, a bustling CF wreaking havoc around the CBs and Bannister picking off the chances - Zico playing as a wing-back - great to watch and successful - no-one of true outstanding individual quality but as a team, fantastic.

Yep, there is a lot of apprehension but I welcome this change and I am looking forward to our existing players and our new ones getting to grips with it - before anyone else in the division does.

Bouldy - I understand - divided opinion on Nuhiu.

He's not a target man, has no pace but as a presence he's a nuisance but still needs to be picked up.

Gray relied on him as a finisher - he's not - nor does he have pace to get on the end of hopeless balls over the top.

IMO he has more to bring to the system than some others.

IMO its all about the players following up play - like Lee was doing towards the end of last season - late runs into space.

I'd be more immediately concerned for May, Lavery & Bus TBH.

Great if we can get someone in, in that role but as far as I am concerned L**ds can have Chris Wood - there are other more pressing positions to fill.

Bouldy - I understand - divided opinion on Nuhiu.He's not a target man, has no pace but as a presence he's a nuisance but still needs to be picked up.Gray relied on him as a finisher - he's not - nor does he have pace to get on the end of hopeless balls over the top.IMO he has more to bring to the system than some others.IMO its all about the players following up play - like Lee was doing towards the end of last season - late runs into space.I'd be more immediately concerned for May, Lavery & Bus TBH.Great if we can get someone in, in that role but as far as I am concerned L**ds can have Chris Wood - there are other more pressing positions to fill.

I'm happy for Leeds to have Chris Wood, and that's not sour grapes, I was championing him for a role in Gray's side. This is a totally different set up now, and we will need a different type of player. Nuhiu could be useful, but we'll need better than all our current forwards, much better. I think it's more of a case equally pressing positions. We need to get a lot of players in over this next month

I'm happy for Leeds to have Chris Wood, and that's not sour grapes, I was championing him for a role in Gray's side. This is a totally different set up now, and we will need a different type of player. Nuhiu could be useful, but we'll need better than all our current forwards, much better. I think it's more of a case equally pressing positions. We need to get a lot of players in over this next month

agree, in a Gray side he was essential, hopefully now we might actually try and play football not so needed.

Would rather use this money on even Kenwyn Jones on loan if we need a target man